Does anyone have sheep?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
Hello,

We have been looking at several different breeds of sheep and went and looked at some Shetland sheep last night. They are a smaller breed that have nice wool for spinning. Does anyone have these type of sheep or other wool breeds? Do you process your own fiber? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience.

Thanks!

Kareng

We have had sheep for a number of years, since our son was 12 (he's now 31). We started with Coopworth crosses, have raised merinos, border leicesters, son's southdowns, scottish blackface, targhee, hampshires and my own favorites, California Variegated Mutants (crazy name for a really beautiful sheep). At present we have moorit (brown) border leicester ewe, a couple of longwool crossbreds, a southdown ewe and two shetlands. Since you can't raise wool breeds without having an abundance of wool, it wasn't long after we got the sheep, that we invested in spinning wheel, drum carder and other required tools of the spinning trade. That includes the border collies! Of all the breeds, the scotties and the shetlands are by far the easiest to care for. They are survivors and their small size and relative independence make them so. On the other hand, their small size and independence also make them difficult to "train" like some of the breeds that flock. Border Collie types hate them as they are jumpers and runners, scattering at the slightest pressure. Shetlands are quick and if it can be said that sheep are smart (which I believe it can!), then they are smart in the ways of keeping out of what they see as trouble. That can be a frustrating thing for the shepherd. Make friends early!! The Shetland fleece is great, long and soft, though many are double coated with the outside "coat" being rather course. But that is made up for by the softness of the undercoat and it is easily separated if need be. They come in a range of colors not found in other breeds except the icelandics. The little lambs don't require docking (a part of shepherding I particularly hated) and they come horned or polled. I love the look of horns, but have learned the hard way of the difficulties of being around them.

I love spinning, less so the knitting, so gave away my yarn for many years. Lately I've used it more myself and find it rather a good way to spend time keeping my hands busy while watching TV, or talking with friends.

Our sheep mow the pastures and keep the grass at a manageable height for the horses, both mini and fullsize. In return, the horses (full size) protect the sheep from our resident coyotes (as does our guardian dog)

Latest posts

Back