Conformation Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hi all!

Here is probably yet another post about conformation. But I was just thinking today as I looked at my girl about the couple shows I've taken her to. Just open shows, and just for experience. In halter, she always does ok, about middle of the class. But I ALWAYS get the same two comments.

She's nice. Pretty well proportioned for a mini.

Her face is a little too dishy.

But I don't ever seem to get.... real critique?

So I'd like to hear from Mini people. Would you say her face is dishy? I don't really think so, I mean, compared to my QH, yes. But not too dishy.

I do think that yes, she's fairly well proportioned. I think she's a bit long backed, and I think her tail is set a bit low. I think her front end will look nicer once I can get her extra weight off. But I've NEVER been good at telling a nice shoulder. And I think she's a bit over the knee.

Anyways, I'd really be interested to hear the professionals thoughts on her :) Seriously, I will not be hurt, every horse has their flaws and no matter what, I think she's the cutest little girl!
(I also happened to have these pics on my phone, I can get better ones later)FB_IMG_1589653109604.jpg received_546469782975214.jpeg 20200516_094035.jpg 20200516_093910.jpg

Attachments

• received_546469782975214.jpeg
    received_546469782975214.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200516_093910.jpg
    20200516_093910.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
You should go to Mindy's blog... she has a great post about Zorro before she got him in shape and after. It's amazing what a little muscle in the right areas will do for conformation. I know very little about it but all the things you stated were a little "off" about her could probably be fixed with conditioning.

I've stalked a few of Mindy's blogs in the past. I will definitely check that out! Thank you! I know conditioning does a lot, trying so hard to get her in shape. It's been a long process, but she looks better.

I've never been great at conformation lol I just have a vague idea, and I know what I find attractive ha.

If they are open shows, you may be getting some unconscious mini bias if you are showing in with big horses. For whatever the reason some judges occasionally think minis are not quite equal to the big horses and don't take them quite as seriously. That might be what you are hearing with the "for a mini" comment. For the most part I don't think its intentional, they may just be unfamiliar with minis. It can be really hard to show a mini in with full sized horses sometimes.

About her face, I don't think her face is too dishy, but a QH judge might. An Arabian judge would love it. It's all in what their eye is used to seeing. Her back is a tad long, but that can be forgiven and is common with mares (more room for baby).
She's a very pretty mare.

I think her head is nice; nice jowl. Maybe the neck is not as refined as they like for bending at the poll. But it is definitely possible you are seeing "mini-predjudice". Big horse riders can't seem to wrap their brain around a horse that can't be ridden. I took one of mine to a class once with a high dollar trainer. The comment: "he looks like a real horse". Duh. As opposed to a fake horse? A non-horse? It put my nose out of joint.

Is there any way you can speak to the judges and get more of an idea of their criteria? Perhaps ask the steward, or the show chair, to set you up with a few minutes of the judges' time. Is the class only for mares? Mares and geldings?
You say you are only "going for experience". I always said that, too, but it is disappointing on our horse's behalf when they don't place well.

Marsha's suggestion is a good one if you are showing her....ASK. When we were first starting we asked the judges after they ribboned and had a moment...We asked (and made friends with) the Stewards, and we also made friends with trainers and asked them.

Just from my perspective with the pictures shown, in the "mini world" she would be considered a Quarter Horse Type, both the body and her head. One of the hardest "fault" with minis to breed out is a low tail-set. Yours is a little low, but I've seen lower and you can mask it with creative clipping....like you did in the Butt shot.
My only suggestion would be while conditioning her for show, work on her neck with a neck sweat. She has a lot of potential, IMO.

I'm not sure if this would interest you, but I've started a Conformation Investigation over on Chimacum Tack's blog. People send in photos of their minis, ponies and horses and I go over them. Keep in mind that these are all based on my personal opinion but some people are finding them useful! I'll link to that blog here :)

https://chimacumtack.com/blog/category/conformation-investigation/

Wow! Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions. And thanks diamond, I really like her too. Her neck has concerned me lately as crusty as it is, but I generally do like her body! She was super fat, not drafty last year lol and I do like where she's at now.

I've wondered if a neck sweat would help, I might give that a go for a little bit.

So all the glasses around here are separated out into the genders and different ages as well, so I've only showed her with mares. And I do know if youre not showing a nice Quarter Horse you don't really get a second look. That's just what most people have and are used to around here. I tell myself all the time it's just for fun and experience, but I feel that Marsha... it is a little disheartening to not do well, with either of my horses. And the mini comments tend to irk me a little lol but I'm used to it now.

I do try to ask if I really want to know about my placing, and those comments above are usually what I get, so I've quit asking about her. I don't know if I'll show her much more as.... well she doesn't seem to jive with it lol well see if she chills with more work and age.

And Mindy, I will certainly check that blog out! Sounds like a great way to learn.

Do you show her with a western halter? I wonder what would happen if you played up the western/stock type angle. When I was showing Cappy, at certain shows I'd show him in a western halter because I knew he wasn't as refined as some of the minis he would be up against.
When I was showing under a Morgan/saddlebred judge we'd go with the patent halter. It made a difference. Funny what a chance of tack can do.

Latest posts

Back