Does anyone have experience with folliculitis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
We have a pit bull dog, Spike, that has had several bouts of folliculitis. It starts as a small hard pebble like bump under the skin and then continues to grow and grow, making a circular, thickened, raised infected area. The infected hair follicle spreads to local skin structures, undermining the skin as it goes. We have been on many rounds of antibiotics and he keeps getting them in various areas all over his body. They are slow growing, and he usually has had only one or two lesions going at a time.

Today, Spike is getting neutered, and he is having a very large one excised. The vet says that this folliculitis condition is common with the very shorthaired breeds.

He also said it was cheaper to just cut it off than to do 8 weeks of antibiotics with no assurance that it will cure the infection. (which I agree since we have already been on antibiotics for a month with no effect)

Do you have any experience with this problem? Please share your experiences with me. Thanks, Lauralee

I'm sorry I have no experience with it in dogs.

Several of us got it from the hot tub and we just went on antibiotics for a week and it was fine. Of course people are not so heavily covered with hair on our bodies so it would not spread so easily or quickly.

Poor thing. I do know it itched like crazy.

We have a pit bull dog, Spike, that has had several bouts of folliculitis. It starts as a small hard pebble like bump under the skin and then continues to grow and grow, making a circular, thickened, raised infected area. The infected hair follicle spreads to local skin structures, undermining the skin as it goes. We have been on many rounds of antibiotics and he keeps getting them in various areas all over his body. They are slow growing, and he usually has had only one or two lesions going at a time.

Today, Spike is getting neutered, and he is having a very large one excised. The vet says that this folliculitis condition is common with the very shorthaired breeds.

He also said it was cheaper to just cut it off than to do 8 weeks of antibiotics with no assurance that it will cure the infection. (which I agree since we have already been on antibiotics for a month with no effect)

Do you have any experience with this problem? Please share your experiences with me. Thanks, Lauralee
Lauralee I will ask on one of my dog boards and see if I can hook you up with someone who can help.

Latest posts

Back