Parvo?? Anyone with experience...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have a few questions about Parvo or any dog diseases I guess, that this may be. I was planning to go to get my puppy on Saturday. She is 11 weeks old tomorrow. They took her to the vet today, for her second set of shots, and a general health check before selling her to me.

She has been acting 100%...no vomiting, very playful, no diarrhea...seems very healthy. They took her to the vet, and she wouldn't vaccinate her, because she had a temp. She said it was nothing to freak over, but was a slight concern, and enough so, that she wouldn't vaccinate with it. She examined her and said otherwise, she appears 100%...clear eye, nose, and ears....no disgarge anywhere. She had no idea what would be causing the elevated temp. (I don't know how high it was...the seller never asked) She put her on antibiotics to ward off an infection, if that might be what is casing the elevated temp. She said to bring her back in early Saturday morning, and she'll check then, to see how the temp is after being on antibiotics for a couple days.

Does anyone have any experience?? If this is Parvo, would the elevated temp appear before other symptoms? If so, how long until other syptoms appear?

A little history...the lady I bought her from, owns 3 other adult dogs. One is the sire to my pup. He was hired as a stud so she got back pick male, and pick female from the litter...my girl, and a littermate. So both pups are now at her house. The male pup was there at 8 weeks, and the female just arrived a week ago tomorrow.

The breeder of the pups, the owner of the dam of my girl, owns only one dog...just the female that had the pups. So isn't this a low-risk situation for parvo or other canine diseases if the dam is vaccinated and the pups were also given first vaccinations at 6 weeks.

Any other ideas as to what this may be? Can they get a fever and show no signs of other illness? We want to make sure we are getting a healthy pup, and she will be rechecked on Saturday morning, however, I was so excited to get her home, and now this!

TIA for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, comments, or advice!

Mona, if it were me I would call my regular vet tomorrow and see if you could ask some of those questions to his office. Kinda pick their brains. I can't help with the temp up on a puppy, but only remember that back when I was having Larry (cat) fixed a few years ago, he had a slight temp and they made me take him home for a few days on antibiotics and when I brought him back after that his temp was down. Since he was only about 5 months old they said it could just be a baby thing or running a virus and did'nt pin point any one specific thing....(I know...not much help
default_sad.png
.) I know how excited you must be about bringing your new little girl home. Keep us posted!

Does anyone have any experience?? If this is Parvo, would the elevated temp appear before other symptoms? If so, how long until other syptoms appear?

Yes. I just went through this with Tabatha's new puppy. She began with just a temp and went downhill from there fast. Spent 3 days at the vets and we lost her. Call your vet and don't take any chances. I know you won't.

http://lbah.com/canine/parvo.html

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

http://www.spcashelter.nf.ca/parvo_in_dogs.asp

Mona, let's not suspect the worst. The baby running a temp can be anything. Don't jump to conclusions and get yourself all worked up. The breeder is obviously on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have rescued unwanted puppies before that came to me with parvo it is very fast acting they will start with a temp then it will move very rapidly to vomitting and yellow poop then it will go to watery yellow poop...I have treated both at home and both lived ,I gave childrens tylenol every four hours for the temp..It is not the parvo virus that kills dogs it is the dehydration and starvation from the virus..like I said i gave tylenol every 4 hours and i also gave pepto bismol and pedialite every four hours and mine were so bad when they came here that they couldnt even move ...this was about 4yrs ago ..So if it needs medical attn make sure you take it to a vet that has staff 24 hours a day...none in my area do..And it takes constant care and dedication to pull them out of parvo...

I sure hope it's not ...Hope everything turns out okay....sending good thoughts..

Hi Mona,

Gosh, I hope it isn't parvo.

I adopted a Rottie from the shelter after my ancient Doberman died. Parvo is highly contagious, especially among young pups.

This Rottie was a wonderful dog. We went right to the vet and had her checked out, she looked great. 3 days later still acting normal, she spit up clear fluid twice. Following day, stated vomiting for real and started with diarrhea that became profuse like a fountain, very very liquid like water. That was on a sunday night. Gave her immodium, pedialyte and dramamine until the vet opened at 8 am.

By then she was weak. The vet kept her of course, but checked the stool for worms and did not check for parvo... stupid vet.

2 days after that she was so bad that the vet called and said if you want to save her, get her to U of Pa. Took her right there. Within 15 minutes found out that it was Parvo.

Parvo strikes the immune system... kind of like a puppy aids. It doesn't usually just show with a fever, that is first but... they get mostly GI symptoms almost imedialtly and dramatically.

Some breeds of dogs, or I should say... some lines in some breeds of dogs are immune to the vaccinations for parvo, you can give shots and they still get Parvo. Some Dobermans, Rotties, Pit Bull types,Boxers are like that.

Parvo destroys the lining of the intestines, it sloughs off. The diarrhea has a "special smell" One that once smelled you never forget. The intestines can't absorb anything, not, food or water,not that the dog could or would wish to eat anyway.

Parvo destroys their immune system and they get secondary infections also.

I spent almost $4200.00 on trying to save this dog. Had her with me 3 days... she was so wonderful, and she was worth draining my life savings.

Unless Parvo is picked up super early, its like throwing good money away and cruel too. Maybe if my vet treated her correctly, right away, maybe if I tok her to a major University setting that first night, we may have saved her.

Take a stool specimen right to the vet and DEMAND that it be checked for Parvo even before they check for worms. That will give you an answer right away.

In my personal experience parvo moves fast. They have an elevated temp and then within a few hours or a day they are a real mess. In the almost 30 years since i lost a pup to parvo they have made huge strides in helping pups survive it, so if you think it might be parvo I'd get my regular vet on it right away so we could start supportive care... but honestly so many things can cause a slight elevation in temp that the chances of it being parvo are probably pretty slim.

better safe then sorry, though.

I agree with what Robin said, though... Parvo has a "smell" and once you have experienced it you don;t soon forget it. :no:

Very few pups live through Parvo...Corona yes but not Parvo. Hopefully it will not be either, Parvo lives in the ground so the pup could have come in contact with it. It may not be it though, I definitely would not go get her until a couple weeks have passed. The vet should be able to check for this and give a definite answer. Good Luck!

I hope/doubt that it's parvo, because the elevated temp could be so many things. But, if it is, I recommend Tamiflu (the human bird virus vaccine). I had a littler of rescue pups this summer, lost one immediately to parvo, once I knew what I was dealing with I got the other 3 and mama on Tamiflu - and all survived and are doing well in their adoptive homes.

Mona,

I am sure you are acting on all the advise given, the experience we had with parvo was frightening, but we did manage to save our pup --- hydration seems to be the key element, so you pup may need an IV to get the fluids in while the antibiotics go to work - and it can take a couple of weeks to pull thru.

Another thought to check out is coxidia (probably not spelling this correct) - is also involves a temp and loose stool, and often puppies are actually born with it and for some reason it just flares up - again, there are antibiotics and also a vaccine for this

Both parvo and coxidia can be checked for at the vet, and again, dehydration is the thing to watch out for - it can kill within 12 hours.

Good luck Mona, your puppy is so cute, reminds me of our first boxer, Barney, he was also a 'reverse brindle'.

Hugs,

Stacy

Thanks everyone. I think(hope!) I am fearing the worst, and all will be ok. Hoping it is just some minor irritation causing a rise in temp. I guess I will know more in the morning after she calls to let me know what the vet had to say.

I am doubting very much that it is parvo as if it moves as fast as things I have read, then she would/should be showing other signs by now. Keeping my fingers crossed!

As for the Coccidia, yes, I am aware of that one. I bought a Chihuahuha from Arizona many, many years ago, and she came with that, however, as I said, this puppy I am getting, is otherwise 100% healthy appearing and acting....no other signs...no coughing, no loss of appetite, no vomiting, no diarrhea, no runny eyes, nose, and ears are clean. The only symptom of anything, was this higher than normal body temp.

You dont always notice coccidia. Mitzy had that when I bough her and I finished up her treatments. It came back later, didnt notice until I was out checking her poop for worms and noticed something off. Took her in and had to retreat her for it then.

Mona

A temp can mean anything, it can even be brought out by stress going to visit the Vet or a car ride. That said, a simple fecal will rule out coccidia or Guardia. Stress lowers the immune system & will bring out diseases not normally seen which is why "normal" pups come up sick within a week of coming to a new home. If you are getting her soon, I would demand a fecal to make sure this isnt brewing. and you can do a simple fecal parvo test for under $20

The signs of parvo are lethargy, not eating, vomiting, diarrhea, that starts of watery, then as the interior of the intestines die off, bloody foul smelling diarrhea. You can support a pup with parvo, with IV fluids (best) or Sub Q, along with centrine & antibotics to help with vomiting & other infections. It is the dehydration that will kill them, as they cant keep any liquids inside. Then you get organ shutdown.

Anyone selling puppies need to realize that usually until a pup has had three sets of shots, a puppy can get it. How? Usually prospective buyers, who have visited local pounds, breeders, parks etc where parvo is in the ground. I run a Vet clinic Shelter, & we have problems with clients visiting the local pound where people tend to drop off sick animals when they dont want to vet them, then they come to see our puppies with parvo clinging to their shoes, hands & even shirts where they have handled sick puppies elsewhere. Also the worst thing you can do is to take a new pup to a vets office & let it run around on the floor. It should be in your hands the whole time, not in the grass outside or running around the waiting area. Keep in mind, SICK dogs have been there before you.

That said, at the shelter we have been fighting parvo in pups that have had three vaccinations. We have gone over every possiblity of why our pups get it, the vaccines are not from the same lot #, & our vets think we are seeing a new strain of parvo, or a new disease that mimics the signs of it, as other rescues are reporting the same problems, The pups are usually 14 weeks with all three shots given, & test positive for parvo. Some go off feed, then get better with no intervention, others get full blown parvo, some survive some dont.

Hope your pup turns out fine.

Thanks Debbie. I was wondering about that afterwards, if maybe just the stress of going for a car ride to the vet might have been enough to spike her temp a little. I am just waiting to get my call from the seller here in a couple of hours, after she sees the vet this morning. I have my fingers crossed! I am quite certain it is not parvo, as I got word from her yesterday, pup was still acting 100% normal otherwise, so that is a GREAT sign!!! :aktion033:

I am just so excited, and worried something is going to foul things up for me, but hey, it's St, Patrick's Day today, so that means I should have "The Luck of the Irish" with me today, right??
default_yes.gif
:

Mona, it isn't Parvo. She's an exciteable one. My vet would have given me the shot, had me take her home and check her temp 3 x, then shoot the shot if all was well. She also would have drawn blood and did a complete fecal. I am always surprised at how few vets run for coccidia and giardia on a routine basis. Course that is just me and my vet, everyone does things differently. I can't wait for you get your first puppy kisses.

I can't wait for you get your first puppy kisses.
:bgrin Me either!!
default_wub.png
: I just hope already being 11 weeks old, she'll still have "puppy breath"! I just LOVE kisses with puppy breath!
default_wub.png
:

Still waiting for the darn phone to ring!!! :eek:

[SIZE=36pt]WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Just got my call, and she checked out A-OK at the vet, no fever, and got her shots!!! We're outta here!!!! :aktion033:

wow i'm surprised your puppy lived giving it tylonol..that is a BIG no no for dogs and I beleive cats as well. Their kidneys are extremely senstive to it and it will put them into renal failure. Asprin is OK for dogs but NOT tylonol. glad to hear your puppy pulled through though!!

I want huge pics and puppy breath kissy pics and to feel how you just haveta jump up and down in excitement!!!

Parvo is such a scary thing :no:

So happy your pup is OK
default_yes.gif
:

Years ago we had a litter of Dalmatians when Parvo was rampant here in the Northwest.

3 out of 7 died to the disease. Two of them came down with it from the Vets office that they were vaccinated in....just through an innocent "first puppy check-up"

That was almost 25 yrs ago... and I am a firm believer now and have been for nearly 25 years to do your own vaccinations and do them at home.

Another thing that drives me crazy is ...WHY? do people bring their dogs/bestfriends into Petco's/Petsmart's where possibly other infected dogs have just walked through...there is NO vaccination that is 100%

Latest posts

Back