Do you train AND show your own horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandyWI

Reaction score
Last year we put a horse of ours with a trainer, and she went to World and we were very happy. The trainer is just fabulous. However, it was extremely expensive. I have another weanling filly that I think could do exceptionally well at shows, but can't afford the expense.

I was toying with the idea of training her myself, which I'm sure I could do, having had 30 years' experience with big horses, although I'd need help with the conditioning aspect of it as I wouldn't be quite so sure about that process.

For those of you who do your own training, just how do you find the time? This is my biggest problem. I have a few other horses I wanted to at least start training a bit this summer but haven't done a thing. Everything else gets in the way. I keep telling myself "tomorrow I'll start working with Strike to set up" and then tomorrow comes and there's lawn to be mown, or vegetables to be canned, or a million other things. I have a part time job, only 10 hours a week, but my husband has his own business (perc tests and septic system designs) and I always have to go on the perc tests with him. I don't mind this as he pays me well, but it takes so much time away from the barn.

How do you balance it all? Or, are the only trainers here the people who don't have outside jobs?

I know we are maintaining too much garden and lawn area. It takes both of us on tractors and mowers to get all the grass mowed, and that's a full day of mowing. I have ripped out so many flower gardens over the last few years to have less to maintain, but it still seems to be overwhelming.

I guess I'm just sort of at wit's end. I like a clean, neat house. But maybe that shouldn't be a priority. Maybe I should eliminate all my gardens and turn it back into lawn. We could stop mowing about four acres and five miles of riding trails and just mow the lawn by the house. Is this what you do? Do you just let all the "non-essential" things go and concentrate on the training and showing, or are you a super-person and able to do it all?

I just can't do it all, and I'm wondering if I should rearrange my priorities and just concentrate on the training? It's what I really want to do, after-all. I love training and grooming. I'm not too crazy about showing, though.
default_wacko.png
:

What I do to "find the time" is on days I condition the horses, I do it in the morning before work -- and I mean the day is barely light, and I am out there lunging.

I also lunge 2 geldings together, and 2 girls together, which of course saves time. I don't lunge all four at the same time, two at a time. I am not advising this, just saying this is what I personally do. The boys do a pretty good job of exercising themselves, too, through their playing but the fillies -- not so much (lazy).

It doesn't take all that much time if you're not conditioning a lot of horses. Just like 20 minutes every other day.

The biggest factor, which you know I'm sure, is a good feed program. Lots of different right ways to feed a show horse. My way is simple and it's complete senior pellets and soft orchard grass hay (about 50/50 split), and flax seed 1x a day. Regular deworming, fresh water and hoof trims. That is it.

This year, I have not been sweating anyone. I will be next year. I have all the "stuff" for sweating and wrapping, but just haven't made myself. That would take additional time. At the level I decided to show this year (due to me, not my horses), it would be over kill.

Good luck! I did use a trainer for years. I much prefer to do it myself, but I also like to have one out there with a person doing more registry shows than I myself would choose to do. A combination is kind of my favorite way, but it's seeing how the ones I've done myself look that makes me feel the most pride.

Outside of horses, I am a financial planner / money manager and own my own practice. In the summer, I keep a lighter client schedule so can spend more time with the horses, and most weeks out of the year, I do not go to the office on Fridays. BUT, there's a lot of planning for clients that I do in those "off" hours at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Training and conditioning is a commitment, that's for sure!

I did my own until this year, and did World Top 5...

For good results, rain or shine, hot or freezing.. no

"I'll do it tomorrow"

I do most of the workouts first thing in the morning, before work.

Then it is done, and I can tend to all the zillion other things...

Feeding too much is ALWAYS my issue.. LOL Those big, pleading

HUNGRY eyes.... hehehe

BUT,

I will say that any success in the show ring seems to be much more emotional (for me)

when I do the training and conditioning!

Good Luck!

~Sandy

Getting up and doing the work is the hard part. I would always try to start the day with working them. Also, in an effort to save extra steps, I will stand them for a minute or two on the way to the round pen. That way, if I don't work them any other time, they will at least have the idea how to stand in the ring. I usually work 2 or 3 at a time in the round pen then I will feed them. Since I work a lot of horses and ponies (sometimes we have up to 25 in the barn for show, sell, and pony rides) I will work every day and rotate the lineup so I get them all done 3 times a week. I have gotten good at ignoring the sad--you are starving me--eyes. Our problem is getting them started in harness. It is so easy to say "after ________I will put the harness on. I really need to get to work on that.
default_yes.gif
:

Good luck. Showing your own and winning on your own is really rewarding. I usually get them ready and my husband shows. It is a team effort that has worked well for us.

As for my house
default_wacko.png
: Well, let's just say, come see my barn and horses anytime. If you ask to use the bathroom, I will draw you a map around the 'stuff' that has accumulated in my house. :bgrin

For those of you who do your own training, just how do you find the time?

How do you balance it all? Or, are the only trainers here the people who don't have outside jobs?
I am a youth member and I trained my horse Kid when I first started working with him and its been kind of hard because of school and I work to keep him up with toys, equipment etc. But luckily my parents pay for feed. It is pretty hard during the year because I have on top of school, shows, work and just the world itself.
default_smile.png
And I help train the barns horses
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

Not sure if I qualify to answer this one. I try to train and show my own. I don't work but then iwe're in the 60s so it becomes another problem - that of just getting up and moving! LOL I know the basics and what should be done but then I hit the wall because one of us gets sick or the weather is bad or whatever. That's when I opt out to going to a friend that used to train (big horses) professionaly and ask for help. He occasionally "tunes up" our stallion for a show.

I'd love to be able to say that I trained one all on my own and take the credit for winning. I keep thinking that might be our 2 yr old filly. So far I've done all the work on her. She hasn't done much good in halter but in obstacle halter she's a WOW. Next year will be the deciding factor when I want her to start driving.

:aktion033:

We train, and show all of our own horses (as well as for clients ) - we do our own farrier work, clipping etc -

We have done very well, MANY multiple National TOp Ten horses, some National Reserves & National Champions as well.

It is hard work, but then, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Our show string is worked several timeas a dy in halter -- driving in both cool of morning & usually after supper when it is a bit cooler -- sometimes we have to drive 8 horses in a day soo "cool" becomes a thing of the past.

We have a grandson that works for us all summer & 2 more that come & help when getting ready for shows -- and the 3 of them show with us -- so we are lucky to have them.

John is a trainer & I am an ASPC/AMHR carded judge .

Horses make a wonderful life for us-- we do it all together & we love it.

We are also in our 60's -- in the top half LOL.

Well, I am personally in the "learning" stage of training my own minis, however, I have to be the one to show, train,clip, get ready for shows,ect because I am the only one that is able, and have no extra funds coming in for a trainer, its still very rewarding on my part though, I love getting up before college and running out there to give thier workouts, then come home late in the afternoons and work a little on setting up,ect I work with them about 5-6 days a week in Spring/Fall, and about 2-3 in Winter, and 3-4 in the Summer, so I pretty much stay busy!! I love just the bonding time with them! :bgrin

I have really got to learn how to clip better, and condition better though, and then maybe I'll be in business :)

I train/condition/feed/show and do basically everything myself when it comes to the show horses.

I'm not going to say that the thought of sending one off to a trainer to see how he would do with the trainer compared to how he would do with me but i will always train/condition my own halter horses. Now driving, different story. Right now i am trying to find a driving trainer for my B gelding that needs (well, i want him to be lol) to be in CP next season ..thats a completely different story.

I have allot of free time. I work morning-night with the horses. I'm 19-years-old. I just graduated high school, i took this summer off so i could give myself a good break but however im starting work in September.

I've shown three horses this season, like i said i trained/conditioned and showed them myself. I have a show at the end of this month and i am taking 6 (new record for me!).

I feed, what i believe to be anyway, the best feed available around here ..Buckeye Gro N Win (just my opinion), beet pulp and then a suppliment ontop of that called Nutra Glo to some of my horses who are working harder then the others or need a little extra 'boost' of energy. I feed a alfalfa/orchord grass mix as well. My horses look great and feel great, towards the beginning of the year i had one that was a bit fat but tweaked everything and he is back to a good weight agian.

I work my horses 5x-6x a week lunging. If i plan to ground drive i will cut down on the lunging that day.

I use throatlatch sweats more then neck sweats, i didnt stick to the sweating much this season ..but next year!

No, i have no National titles (however we did do 'decent' at Congress last year) ..but this is my second year showing amhr/aspc.

I do have a young girl that enjoys the horses that comes down and helps me with the things like cleaning out the stalls, hay and stuff like that. She loves it lol. Normally i clean the stalls in the am, and then while im working with the horses she will pick through the stalls agian and the isle way ext. She enjoys it, in return she gets to show and work with this one gelding she is showing for me.

Basically 90% of the work is me, the other 10% is her
default_smile.png
. I like how i do things, i think it works (for me and my schedule and the horses). I'm happy with it
default_smile.png

As far as setting up/getting neck and the halter aspects, i will only work on that maybe 1x or 2x a week really. I think a horse can get really burnt out on that fast. Right now i am taking 3 horses that are going to a show at the end of this month that i have not shown this year on setting up so i will work them maybe 4x a week now until they get it down, then only 1x-2x. I work on teaching them to stand, turning out of my space, staying 'off me' on the lead, backing, standing, neck, ears ext. Its all so much fun i could do it everyday of the week but i have to tell myself 'no' somedays lol.

I do halter conditioning and training myself but my performance horse is with a trainer. I find it much more economical that trudging off to all the shows myself. HE goes to many. I only attend the group shows out at Lennies and NY state fair and nationals. I have many church comitments every weekend and I cant be away at shows. It really did cost me less the past two years to leave a horse with Bruce than it would have cost me in show fees,gas,lodging,paying a sitter to be here and my performance horses were able to attend about a dozen more shows than they would have here

Jill is absolutely right when it comes to conditioning your feeding program and worming program are 90% of your success.

Lyn

I had a horse with a trainer, too, and after being let down in that respect, I do it all myself.

I get fairly good results, but then I show junior horses for the most part and I really do very little other than feed them very well (they are a bit on the fat side) and give them a largish pasture to free graze and play in.

MAYBE not the recommended way to get that edge, but I have had compliments on the way my horses look, from judges, trainers, other competitors, etc. YES, they could look "better" but I am mostly showing locally. If I were to aim for Nationals or Worlds, I would change a few things and add some actual work in there.

That said, I DO work my performance gelding to keep him fit for his Jumper classes as it would not be fair of me to ask him to go in and jump 6 or more jumps on a hot day when he hasn't been doing that for at least several months ahead of time. I don't really do any every other day kind of thing, we try to hit the jumps and hills about two to three times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I have small children and a busy life, so the training has to get squeezed in where it can. It works for me and I feel good about it. We go home with some Grand Champs/Champs and Reserves as well as the occasional Supreme.

Liz M.

I do train and show my own horses. It's very frustrating sometimes finding the time to do everything. Summers are hectic. I work 24+hours a week and they're odd hours. I have a nice little driving gelding that has been sitting most of the summer because I've only had time to get the halter horses in shape. I also do in-hand trail and in-hand jumping with them. Our place is very low maintenance though as far as gardens/lawns. I have a housekeeper that comes twice a month because I'd much rather clean pens than the house(but I like a clean house). So, you have to decide what's important to you and go from there. Winter is my down time.....which I usually need by then! :bgrin

I'm perhaps the last person who should answer your question...this year, at least, since my hospital stay and recuperation set me way back in showing, conditioning and training.

However, as one who is self-employed and chronically overbooked, I do have some thoughts.

My mother always said that if you want something done, give it to a busy man, so I actually think you have an advantage with all you do. Instead of letting yourself feel overwhelmed, look only at the task at hand and determine how much time you truly need.

Consider Jill's conditioning shcedule of 20 minutes 3 days per week. Instead of thinking you need to alter your entire life, ask what you can cut out to give yourself just that amount of time. Perhaps the lawn can be mowed less often (or get some portable electric fencing and have the horses do the mowing), or the house left to be less than perfect (though still acceptable for both of you).

I'm a gardening nut, but I focus on shrubs and perennials that need less fussing, and I overplant, use ground cover plants and mulch to avoid weeds. Automate your watering if possible, which saves massive amounts of time.

I agree about great nutrition being the foundation of a good conditioning program...another huge factor is consistency. Even if your workouts are short, maintaining them on a regular basis will bring better results than longer, infrequent or irregular sessions.

I'm not much for sitting around doing nothing -- I like to relax and have fun while accomplishing something. I aim to make our workouts fun for my horses, too. Even if don't enter performance classes, set up jumps, set out hay bales to run around, or drive them if they're so trained.

I also make daily tasks do double duty...when I make the long trek to our mailbox (way down our driveway and road), I take a horse along for a little additional exercise. When I free lunge them, I run along, getting my exercise and rehabilitating my leg while they get in shape.

Finally, don't waste time feeling guilty or fretting about what you haven't done. Just do what you can do, and go from there.

Of course, here I am going on and on when I should be out working...hehe...

Training and showing your horses yourself is a huge commitment and you have to love doing it. I go to college full time and then i work a part time job, and finding time to train and work them is hard, but i manage to do it every day. I work them 20 minutes a day, 6-7 days a week all year long even through the winter. I have made my show string a lot smaller now that i am in college, this year i had 3 horses on my show string and next year it is going to increase a little bit more. I get amazing results from my feeding program that i do, the feeding program is a huge part of getting horses in show shape. You have to be very commited to training and showing horses yourself. We have had horses with trainers before and i would send another horse to a trainer in a second, but i love doing it myself and the results i get have been great.

I am always very envious of those with the talent and the time - not to mention, the self-confidence to train their own horses. I have done it in the past, but now with a full time job, 1 hour commute each way and 30 horses to maintain & breed & foal out + the dogs + the house + the yard (and trust me, the house & yard are suffering BIGTIME these days), I just don't have the time or the mental attitude to train horses after 8 pm every night.

I personally feel that the trainers who I have used are VERY economical for the results that they give in return - in reality it pretty much boils down to less than $15/day to condition, groom, & train - + the add for board which at about $150/month is also pretty reasonable for all they are fed, stalls cleaned & bedded daily, daily turnout etc. When you figure that the conditioning/training/grooming is probably taking close to an hour per day for each horse (by the time you blanket, unblanket, neck wraps on & off, work the horse, cool it off, groom it completely which may include a rinse job & blow dry, etc, etc, etc + trainining!), and more if they are in performance classes - then it is really very, very reasonable. Most trainers really work hard at their job and know the faults of the horses and how to hide them far better than I ever could. Also, since I am "mom" my horses just don't give me the same attentive look that they will a trainer - give me someone else's horse and I can get "the look", but on my own they know that I am a big softie.

The other thing that comes into play is that when you are paying a trainer to do a job, you are allowed to have expectations, after all, you are paying for a job well done. When you do it yourself you can "slack" off and often times your horse doesn't have that little extra "polish" that it might have had if you had it with a trainer -- that said, it goes without saying that the trainer needs to do his/her job - but it is OUR job as owners to be in contact and make sure that our horses are being conditioned & trained as we would like within that horses personal potential.

Add to all of this the fact that the trainer is going to haul your horse to the shows for you and do a lot of the showing and it is possible for me to actually have a horse shown - with my work schedule I would not be able to take that much time off of work so my show horse would probably only make it to one or 2 shows at the most.

So, yes, it is expensive, but I feel it is well worth it.

Stacy

Thanks for all the replies. It was very interesting reading how you all find the time to do what needs to be done. It was also interesting listening to how you go about conditioning your horses.

Susanne, you sound very much like me! I used to own a hosta retail nursery. It was a great business and I made a lot of money, but it got to the point where I simply didn't have a life. Every minute was devoted to the hostas, and I started resenting the time spent away from my horses, so I sold out and never looked back.

But as a result of that business and also of selling perennials, I had a TON of flowers and I kept tilling up more and more land over the years until my gardens got so extensive it was actually ridiculous. I mean, many of them couldn't even be seen from the house!

So, for the last few years I've been downsizing. Pulling out anything fussy or difficult and planting shrubs instead. No more flowers like iris, which are hard to keep the weeds out of the center, and always need dividing. No more fussy roses that needed constant feeding and watering. (I still kept all my Knock Out roses as I just couldn't part with them)! I put ads in the paper and told anyone who wanted free flowers to bring a shovel and boxes and take all they wanted, so I didn't have to do the work of getting rid of them myself! Lots of areas went back to lawn and other areas got planted with nice big shrubs, and I have heavily mulched the remaining areas.

And after reading your response, and everyone else's, I have become "inspired" to stop worrying if the kitchen is clean before I go out and work with the horses, or worry about mowing the lawn AFTER I've worked with the horses. I will definitely stop being so anal about the things which I feel "need" to get done and simply retrain myself to put those things off until after I've worked on training.

i am training and showing my 2 horses

they will be showing in halter, jumping, and driving classes at nationals

i try to work them every day and vary the workouts

if i roundpen it is often either in bitting rigs or over jumps

i drive 3-5 road miles most days that i don't roundpen

i drive 1 horse and drag the other behind my cart so both get a good workout

i vary my drives -

i try to work on collection with draw reins,

cantering and galloping speed (with my chariot horse),

and extended trots headed home

it is a lot of work but i feel i am doing a good job with them

I am showing 5 horse this year. I work them in the round pen in the moring. Before I go out, I put a load of clothes in the washer, when I come back in from the workout/feed/mucking, the load is done and I out it in the dryer. When I get home, I start some type of dinner that can be cooking while I am out w/ horses. When I am done, so is dinner.

During show season, you have to enter my house at your own risk!!!! But during the winter, my house is spotless :aktion033: .

This year, I cut down on the amout of yard I mow. I would much perfer to spend time on the horses. I also exercise two horse at once in the round pen, cuts down on time.

It is tough, but you just got to make yourself do it. Once you start, it gets easier. I am always thinking of how I can be doing several things at the same time.

Good luck, you will enjoy the results of all your hard work.

I do it all myself as well, I have 8 up showing this season, and will take some extras to Nationals to show (foals) (actually this year I do have my first and only horse out with a trainer, as he is driving this year as that is not something I feel comfortable teaching him, as he's National contender and I want him to be at his potential, so have 9 showing just he's with a trainer). This is my first year out of college, graduated with my BS in spring 06, now I work full time in admissions at a local college here close to home.

The horses are a full time job outside my real full time job. During show season, it's up at 5:30 to feed/clean stalls, then leave for work at 7, home at 5:00 then up to feed again, check the other 50 horses, back up to the barn to clean stalls and work the horses, and do whatever else needs to be done. Usually it's 9 easy before I'm through if all I have to do is work the horses. They get worked usually every other day, 4 times a week.

Now working full time I try to get my clipping done on the weekends, Bathed and clipped 8 Sat. While I would like to spread it out and do a few here and there, it doesn't work that way now and I have to work my horse schedule around that.

It does take a lot of time and energy for sure. Especially on those days when it's 105 outside and the last thing you want to do is anything that lasts for over a few mins and you have to work horses, wean babies, strip stalls, load trailer, clip horses, wash horses ext...

My night at the barn ended at 1am this morning up at 5:30 to clean stalls and feed
default_smile.png
, as I had to finish doing some facials and bathing, wrapping up; as I'm heading out after work for a show.

and during show season did I mention I have no social life :lol:

I have just 2 minis that I have always shown and trained myself. I however I have been thinking about sending Blue to a trainer but I don't exactly have that kind of money either. However Stacy is right when you break it down its really not that bad.
default_smile.png
I am currently self-employeed now and I work from home. I work my horses 3 days a week. Usually its more but with me being pregnant its tough thats for sure. I need to go out and redo my cart so I can start driving
default_smile.png
Then I can pony my other lil horse around..But I am like Liz I usually only show locally whenever I am showing thats for sure. This year my showing has been limited.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back