Do you have to separate stallions, geldings and mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky

Reaction score
Hello, I have read several things on this subject and was just wondering what you guys do. I have a 11 year old gelding and a 3 year old mare that run together. I have had the mare about 6 months. I saw a stallion that I really liked thats being sold. I thought maybe the mare could breed with him. But, If I bought him, I didn't know whether he could run with the other two freely. The other two graze on 3 acres and at night I put them in 1/2 acre pen with a run-in. If I got a stallion what would I have to do to make it work? Or are my only options if I want another horse a mare? Thank you for all your help.

This is a tough one, as it depends on the disposition of the stallion in question. I have three stallions, two can and do get along with geldings, but one will try to kill a gelding if he is in for breeding. I also have one stallion that can not tolerate any gelding or other stllions near him at all! He is in his place with his mares, but that is that, he will try to kill another gelding or stallion. I can't even stall him or put him in a paddock next to a gelding or stallion he will tear the fence down, that include stock fencing with electric, he is that bad!

Ditto what Terry said. Totally depends on the specific horses. All are different.

And you could find out that it's your gelding that won't tolerate the stallion and not necessarily the other way around. Especially if the gelding now perceives the mare as "his."

I agree with everyone who has commented. It really depends on the horses' dispositions.......ALL of them.

We have stallions that are fine with geldings, but a couple are not. We have mares who don't like even geldings! Fortunately we have a number of pastures, pens, paddocks where we can experiment and separate if necessary. If you have some extra space - just in case - someone doesn't like each other, then try it.

It does depend on the horses. I run my mares and stallion together year round. We have had 1 foal in (besides my stallion) 6 years. We actually have one mare that has totally flaming heats and she shoves her butt in his face constantly. She is now 7. No foals. So to think you would have a foal every year because you have mares with the stallion, it just isn't true. I would not leave the mare with the heard when she is going to foal and I did keep the mare and foal separate until he was about 6 weeks old. You have to control the re-introduction. But, I do not see anything wrong with a herd dynamic.

The nature of a stallion or male horse is to collect mares and create a harem- protecting them as his, from other males. A stallion does not realize that another male is gelded or not- it's just another male, who MIGHT be wanting to steal his girls. I have seen and heard of the horrible results of what happens when a stallion decides he is not tolerating any males in the area- it's not pretty and can be fatal.

If you just want to raise one foal, isnt there someone you could send your mare to and get her bred, without having to purchase and put up with a stallion? I have been breeding for years and years, and to be honest, stallions are a pain in the... well, you know.

Routinely, we keep mares, geldings and stallions seperate.

When we are breeding mares, we keep the mare(s) with the stallion until a few months prior to their due date. We note when they were bred and haven't had a problem predicting when they're due so far.

In the past, we have run geldings with mares. I think when that's done, the mares play more than they otherwise would, but the reason we no longer do it is that we have seen the geldings "breed" the mares and worry about infection. I've seen geldings that were gelded at young ages do it...

I keep my gelding with my two mares. They are all pals. I would never think of introducing a stallion to that mix; you're asking for trouble....

The only time we have had luck is with young stallions. We used to breed Appy's. We had a few who were crypts so they weren't gelded until they were over 2 years old. They were out with mares and geldings and there were no issues. The fact is that they had never bred before so they never had an issue and their personalities were calm compared to an average breeding stallion. If it were me. I would not introduce a stallion I don't know into my pack because that is just asking for trouble.

I had one of each for 7 years now. The gelding tried to bred the mare (especially when she was little and didn't know what was going on). The gelding "lorded" it over the stallion (when he was little). When the stallion grew up he hated the gelding so much that he would, I believe, try to kill or mame him given the chance. I had to let them all out seperately for some time.

The stallion has since been gelded and they still don't get along. However, change the dynamics of the "herd" by adding one more gelding ( a Shetland every winter) and I can let them all out together. They will have dissagreements because the Shetland wants to be boss but basicly they will all get along in the winter.

IMO, it's a real pain having one of each "sex".

If I were you, I'd just send your mare out to be bred by a really nice stallion and not buy one. Stallions usually have special handling and housing requirements, which is why most should be gelded.

hmmm...I must have the oddball of the group.....

1 gelding -

gelded at the earliest possible time. NO stallion-isms whatsoever.....EXCEPT when you take even ONE mare away from his herd of 3 'mistresses'....I clearly think he has the mindset that I got the 3 gals for 'his' company. He is the 2nd in command when all 4 are in together. No problem whatsoever, nothing. If the fence is not hot, he will do whatever he can to 'get' to his gals if all 3 are taken from him. He literally pouts, stomps his hooves in protest, runs himself sweaty and screams for 30+ minutes.....and they ALL are in his sight.....the mares in the meantime....simply dont care....lol

3 mares -

1 is a yearling who has found her place almost at the bottom but stays outta THE BOSS's way

1 is THE BOSS when all are in the pen together....She thinks her 'bleep" dont stink...lol. Even a look gets reprimanded by her. I tried to have her bred last summer and found out really quickly that she wanted NO PART whatsoever of either stallion....NOTHING.... She was not in heat but not even a tiny hint of 'who are you'. I guess she found her man in her 'gelding' sidekick and doesnt want any other man!...lol

1 is the bottom...also the one expecting a first baby very soon. She just doesnt know how to 'stand up' for herself or smart enough to know to stay outta THE BOSS's way....

all over the spectrum......

and if the one soon to foal has a colt.....well, I will cross that bridge if I come to it!

Personality takes the cake!

I think you're asking for trouble with that sort of combination, too high a chance of things going wrong and too small a chance of it going right.

If you've only got the one mare and will only breed once or twice I recommend the other suggestions of using an outside stallion
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back