Do you have a mini mentor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to pick one "mentor", it would be Lorraine O'Connell at Crystal Ridge Farm, who was my "mimi momma" for a long time.

I have lots of mentors - everyone I've purchased a horse from or have visited their farm. I also like to read as much as I can, but getting to know other people with mini experience has been very helpful. Once you get enough different ideas and opinions on how things should be done you can start to make decisions for yourself. I have a great deal of respect for many of the forum members and look up to them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mentor was way back in the seventies and eighties from WildRose Miniatures one of the first farms to have minis up my way they taught me just about everything l know from grooming feeding giving shots doing hoofs and everything concerning the show ring. l need a new mentor now l'd like to go back to showing in my very old age and need someone to give me the courage to take the first step into that ring again.

Angie Sauer of Hoofbeat Buckon Ranch although she doesn't really know it. I really respect her business sense, her breeding and her awesome sense of humour. She is a class act and one that I would like to emulate.

And several others, some of whom are on this forum, whose horse sense and horses are to be admired.

We currently hold a number of people in high regard as breeders, but don't really have one mentor right now.

As we were building our herd, we had two main people that we would probably call "mentors" -- One was Joanne Ross (and her husband, Larry) who's mentor was Vern Brewer. The other was Cherry Wilson DeSpain who's mentor was probably Mrs. Audrey Barrett. Both my husband and I still hold both in very high regard. We STILL will occasionally call Joanne and Larry for a brain-picking. The biggest honor we ever got was when Joanne called US for OUR advice on something! Wow.

For animal communication, I have often referred to Bonnie Fogg as my mentor to many.

She has been more help to me in my journey than she knows!

MA

My mini mentor would have to be the owner of the barn were I board my minis at. She teaches me a lot about miniature horses and there care. Her name by the way is Loraine O,Conell of Crystal Ridge farm.

Thanks Lori, I have so many wonderful mentors, but the majority probably dont even know that they are my mentors! Besides some of the forum members, who I do respect and look up too, I have Ann(Seahorse Farm) who I know I could call at any given time with any question and she would be there to help and answer me honestly, she is a wonderful lady, another mentor I had when I first started into minis was Candy Lewis. Thanks to both of you for just being there. Now, since I would like to get into showing I would like to hope that Tami Zimmerman (Oak Park)would be my mentor, she is great! Corinne

I consider Erica Killion to be my mentor and person I always write or call about the horses with any questions or concerns. I love the way her horses look, they always seem happy, and she is a very knowledgable young lady. She has a natural way with them that I admire. I have always said if Erica told me to feed them spaghetti I would start boiling noodles tonight!
biggrin.gif

For horses in general--my mentor would be my Dad who taught me the love and respect for horses. He was active in my 4-H club and trail riding with our quarter horses.

Barbara McDonald for my minis--my first trainer who gave me so many good hints for starting the young ones and driver training. Last is my present trainer and best friend Robyn County. We have such good times driving and training and working with youth and minis.

Evergreen Miniature Club, Pacific Crown Club and the forum have all been good friends and answered questions for me.

Definately....I have always gone to Pam (justanothercowgirl), I board my horse at her dad's farm, and she has her two geldings there also. She is always available to talk to and to share her knowledge and ideas with me. I am very fortunate to have her
yes.gif
Also, Jim (her dad) and Sandy...they own the farm and have helped me with learning to take care of my horse even further then I knew already. It has been a great expierience boarding there and I believe I am so forunate to have these very educated people to guide me.

-Kris

Miniv
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

Wow thank you very much!

wub.gif
wub.gif

Bonnie

I have a lot of mentors. I only have one I can work with locally but we live so far apart it's hard to get together. I use a lot of info I get off the forum, good and bad! Like my husband says....you can learn something from everyone. Some folks teach you what you SHOULD do and then some show you what NOT to do.
yes.gif

Yup I have had a mentor as well, though really I have had two. Donna Lavery, of Winning Streak Training, has been mine, and I am always calling and asking about something. Also the ladies at CCMF have been bright lights for me to follow, both Ginny and Kay are wonderful horsewomen!

I have three that I have looked to since the beginning and probably none want any affiliation with me after the dwarfism discussions going on here
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

but here goes...farm names

Winsome Etc. got me started been there since day 1

Mountain Meadows.....willingly answered all my questions and just great people

Scott Creek...also answered questions and put up with my quest to know more

Thank you all for helping bring mini's into my life
wink.gif

wub.gif

I have to say, that if it wasn't for Corinne at MeadowRidge Farm, that I would NOT have known how much LOVE you get from a mini. Anytime Anything, Corinne is there, not just BUSINESS, personal. She doesn't make me feel foolish for my questions. She encourages me every step of the way.
yes.gif

She shares her knowledge and makes me feel smart. Corinne you will never know how very very much, I value our friendship, and the way you hold my hand thru the BAD times.

Anyone young or old, should have a CORINNE, in their corner. Her MINI'S are very very lucky!! When I die, I want to come back, as one of Corinne's mini's. THAT WOULD BE HEAVEN. Corinne you are a Angel.

Be well my friend

Rox

My main mini mentors are Jim and Mary Frazier of Blue Blazes. They have taught me so much in the few years I have known them!

I also consider almost everyone on this forum to be my mentors. All of you have taught me so much about miniature horses!

I don't know if she is my mentor or not, but I talk to Marty and ask her alot of question here on the board.
aktion033.gif

My mentors are Bill and Fran Epertherner, [E Training], Melinda and Rory Doan,[Pickpocket Farm], Eileen Braccio, [My Dream Farm], Lea Dill , Laura Mullen, and a good many others. I have learned so much from Bill and Fran and continue to learn all the time THEY ARE THE BEST! Linda B
wink.gif

When I get stumped, I like to talk to Donna at Qtr rae Minis, She is so sweet and helpful, and would'nt hurt a fly. Also- I have learned leaps and bounds about the dwarf gene, and what produces a dwarf, from Sandii Turner who really is a great"Champagne Genetics Expert." (not inferring that she is a breeder of dwarves,- but she has studied the dwarf producing lines of other breeders, and has come to some very revealing truths) and I feel indebted to her for sharing such wonderful knowledge with me about it. Thank you Sandii and Donna!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
My first horse mentor was Mardy Ayers, I worked for her at her Arabian Ranch when I was in college. Her place was a like a second home when I was away at college. We still keep in touch.

For mini mentors, pretty much this whole forum, but... Special consideration goes out to Dot (I bought my silver dapple filly from her and she has been so helpful with my questions, mostly via internet, she is my closest mini neighbor - 80+miles) and Mary (whom I bought my dunalino filly from - I bend her ear quite often via e-mail).

Latest posts

Back