Do you have a mini mentor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard for me to know where to start because over the years so many have helped me.

My first contact was LB....I have printed posts from 5 years back that I kept for info (so thank you Mary Lou)

Al & Susan ..invited me to their farm when I was a stranger from Arkansas asking a lot of questions

Tony G ....who first started answering all my emails...and finally met at the show in Lufkin...and then found out he was AMHA president

Margie Wood....where would I be without her...answering so many questions...even helping my husband with foaling by cell phone while she was in Conroe

Charlotte & Frank Lupton....who have been there to answer questions

Tony & Leslie Cunningham....daily chats about some horse question....always willing to share info

Bill & Wannalyn.....he may not remember but he advised me not to paint my trailer black and gave me the reasons why...since I have always been able to depend on him to give me advise

Dona (Kickapoo)...just want to be able to take pictures like her.....and to raise the colorful foals that she does and share with the community

I guess I could go on and on............thanks for giving me the opportunity to THANK these wonderful people.

Oh I can't forget Carol Albritton...a true lady of honesty and integrity

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks Teresa, :saludando: [/SIZE]

I do remember talking to you about painting your trailer! More than happy to help anytime you need me! :aktion033:

Bill

I definately have a horse mentors. Jim and Mary Fraizier of Blue Blazes in NC welcomed me with open barn doors and have been teaching me ever since. :worshippy:

OMG I almost forgot you guys !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Question? :aktion033: ,

It did not take me long to think of my mentors :bgrin

Rod and Heather Hart from Meadowind Farms.

They where the ones, I bought my first registered Stallion and 2 Fillies

Answered all my questions, I had, and so helpful when transporting.

I just wish someday we can drive a big horse team like Rod, Love his six horse team.

He has been a great help to us.

Also can I have a FEW
default_yes.gif
:

Fran and Walter from Filipowicz Farm.

Great people if you have any questions and just wonderful horses. And Love Walters Jokes.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm What a question!

Firstly Mary Lou because of this amazing place we are so lucky to have, So thankyou Mary Lou.

Then Out of forum members and I know im missing people out here, soo ill add them when i think of it.

Lyn J - She is youth mini mama here i think and I highly respect her and her opinion.

Marty - Marty never fails to amuse me, she loves her horses so much and if there was anyone i had to entrust with Katies care it would be Marty

Erica - Breeds amazing horses at a young age and i feel never does anything on an average scale.

RabbitsFizz - She always has an answer and is someone i learn a lot from

Minimor - Katies other mummy :bgrin

Gosh i know im leaving out so many....

And here in NZ

Debbie Sloan (Sherwood Stud) - Let me buy my little angel Katie and really got me started in minis. I wouldnt be where i am today without her. Thanyou for everything Debbie

Amanda Wilson (and Karin) - My Trainer, person i look up to, ask for advice etc

Victoria Richards ( and Maralyn) Someone who I respect and admire for her wealth of information that she is always ready to hand out. And her fantasic horses.

The Tonners - Breed agreat horses, know so much about minis, are always friendly and helpful.

Again ive missed so many out, Sorry.

Helen

I have had many mentors since I started in minis in 1985 and still learn today from this Forum and the wonderful girls at the Yahoo Colorful list. I have wonderful Vets who are 6 miles from me and are very interested in minis and about a hour from Tufts University when there are big problems. Minis have a very special place in my heart and I spend many hours with them. I have showed for several years and have foaled out many babies. Nothing is more special in the animal world than holding and loving that new miniature foal. Thanks to all of you and if you are in CT anytime, do stop by.

Joyce

Little Folks Farm

First let me say this! When I first got into miniature horses I was told that these little horses are just like the big ones! Require the same care, etc. Well let me say this - to that! My experience prior to miniature horses, with the big ones. They never got sick, they never coliced, I did not have broodmares or foaling issues. We had many many horses we used on our cattle ranch. Injuries yes some, sickness never.

This forum provides a MOST VALUABLE service to those of us who need and want it! You can never know too much. I can learn from each and every one who posts here.

Beth
Wow, you hit the nail on the head there. That says it for me too. I have been around and had horses during different times of my life but these little ones are NOT the same. They are addicitive though.

And this forum has been of great help and it too is addicitive. I love to "talk" with those that enjoy horses and I don't have many people close by that I can do that with.

Other than you guys on the forum I have to say that I've had help from Jan in our mini club from Charminy Farm and the breeders I bought from in Florida have always been there for any questions I had no matter how dumb. But the person that has mentored me the most is my sister in Kansas. She's had horses all her life and help me pick out my first quarter horse and my first mini. In fact she's the one that got me started in minis.

i have two, and i dont know what i would do without them. They are Nancy and Don Richey at Canterbury Miniature horse farm. They have been sooooo good to me and have taught me soooo much.

Will

All forum members are mentors in their own way but for us there are two and both live far from us. The first would be Debbie Chapman from Dimutives in Woodhull New York who always has a willing ear and valuable advice and the other is Robin from Roko miniatures who has always been willing to help whenever we have needed advice to both of these ladies a warm Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your hearts.

[SIZE=14pt] Mine are easy. There are so many on this board, from back even when I was t90kim,,, years ago. I can always count on help here, you guys are great.[/SIZE]

But I can remember being about 30 years old, and wanting a horse my whole life. So much I could taste it. So my husband said I could have $500 for a mini. Not know how expensive they were I went to the local AMHA show. I went to about every stall and asked people if they had anything close to that for sale. I will ALWAYS remember how I was treated, some people laughed at me. They didn't understand I had a Mom with a terminal illness one family income and two small children. So $500 is all we could afford. There were three people that did not laugh at me. LoriG, Barbara Marshall and Lavada Sprout. I will ALWAYS will feel affection and gratitude to them for helping me. I CAN afford to buy double registered stock now that I am very proud of. I know from that experience that if the love of horses is there, that $500 horse is JUST the beginning!

And also Liz McMaster, ( Nootka) she is a wealth of knowledge and is part of my family now. The shows and foals would definately not be as exciting if I couldn't share them with her and her family. She understands! And she is the first one I call in an emergency, after the vet! I am lucky.

Kim, you have some great mentors in those first ones, but I don't know about me! :new_shocked:

Don't you remember who I was on the phone with when Lark was being born last year?

I was hoping if anything went wrong, you'd hang with me and keep me from going nutso! Also you know I always need your opinion when shopping!

*LOL* It works both ways, girl!

Plus I have to have Hilary talk me into actually doing Hunter or Jumper w/Mouse this year, and I think I'll need a lot of pep talk at that.

It's so much more fun with people to enjoy this hobby with.
default_smile.png

One of my mini mentors is Joanne Ross. I have been in contact with her off and on through the years beginning way back before I had found any decent quality minis and was still refining my taste/searching for what I liked. She has always been very helpful and generous with her time and knowledge. And I've never even bought a horse from her! (yet!) I DID breed a mare to one of her stallions (pretty mare in my avatar is the result), though, and she was always so great about things, eventually letting the stallion come stay with me while she moved so we could get that mare settled.

Otherwise, there have been a lot of wonderful people I made contact with through our local Miniature Horse Club, the NWMHC. Kate Beevers of Bonsai Run is another person who went out of her way to help me out "way back when".

The great thing is that I know there will be more great people I will meet, and I enjoy returning the favor to anyone who needs help or a bit of advice.

Liz M.

(who is quite embarassed about Kim's proclamation, but flattered as well.)

Aw, thank you so much backwoodsnanny!
default_wub.png
:

I try to help people if I can
default_yes.gif
: Thank you for thinking of me.

This was a neat thread to read through. I also have several.

First, and foremost , my husband & best friend who has spent 48 years teaching me how to do all the things required.And teaching me not to be afraid to try new things.

In the mini world -- Kathy Wills, who I met at our very first show-- she encouraged me to go into the ring when i was too afraid to try in public.She is also the one who encouraged me to follow my dream of showing all the way to the Nationals.

Frederika Wagner of FWF who answered umpteen questions & who I still correspond with -- she was a fountain of knowledge & sold us our first show horses.

Lowell Boone - a legend in Minature horse knowledge -- he & Marie became very dear friends. He also got me interested in the registries & what goes on behind the scenes.

Marvin McCabe -- Sandra Guy-Fox who got me interested in judging. These 2 people have taught me a lot & I admire & respect them very much.

Jeanne Braganinni -- who seems to know everything about anything I need to know. Love her to death.

Tony Greaves-- I hung out on his website when i was learning about pedigrees & show records.

John Eberth-- from whom i learned an immense amount about genetics. I am always fascinated when he puts on a seminar on that topic.

I am sure there are many more I have learned from, and apologize for those I have not named

One more gentleman from Ontario-- Lloyd Acheson-- who I love to visit with & chat about horses. He told me how to become a member of the AMHA & gave me the form to send it to register with them.

We have tried to pass on the help we have recievied as we go along.

Harriet Rubins some of the time. I give her a call with any questions I need answeres to right away.

"Fred" is going to be helping me at shows.
default_yes.gif
: I predict I'm going to learn a lot!

barnbum
I got started with minis in 1992 when I had the chance to work for Harriett... also learned a lot about showing from Lea Dill and Linda Best is helpful with keeping my girls' feet perfect - since we are making the plunge into Moderns this year, she has also been helpful with goals to set for our pony Intrepid.

Many thanks to judge Lee Crutchfield for giving Ben confidence when he was having a tough year learning the ropes - when Ben earned his first blues, Lee was there as a handler and Ben went up to him to thank him for the advice and to show off his first blues...and judge Roger Eitel who also encouraged Ben when our former B mare Hope was just giving him a tough time and he got disqualified in a jumper class - a tough thing for a seven year old kid to handle but Roger gave Ben a little key chain for his efforts and he still has it! Ben went on to earn Hunter and Jumper Hall of Fames with Mercy.
default_wub.png
:

Bill Eperthener, who was kind enough to catch Hope when she dumped and dragged me in a cart, and was kind enough to help drive her back to the barn at the show so she did not think that dumping and dragging was the way it was supposed to be....

There are so many folks who have helped us over the years - just thought I would mention a few of the people who have made our mini experiences memorable. :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Back when I got interested in mins my mentors were Rita Jenkins, and Becky Shultz. I also learned alot from Frank and Charlotte Lupin.

:bgrin

Brandee

I would have to say my all time most favorite mini mentor would be Ms. Marty herself.
default_wub.png
: Although I've had maxis all my life I was fumbling around with my minis until I got her wonderful little book Dirty Holly. I have lent that book to several others who are thinking about or have gotten into minis. While it's getting dog eared and worn now it has always been one of my favorite and practical references.

Several others on the forum whom I can always count on to have consistent, intelligent and well thought out advice include Margo CT, MiniHGal, Leia (HobbyHorse23) and yes dear Jane (Rabbitzfizz) to name just a few, there are many more as well--too many to cover in a single post.
default_yes.gif
:

For those now long gone like Bea McKecknie, Jorge Suarez, David York and Katie Stevens, my maxi horse mentors In CA, I can only thank my lucky stars I was blessed to have known them and learned from their excellent horsemanship.

Well I have a few mentors as well and of course many board members here but I have to say that Karen Basner as well as Mona Stone were mentors from the get go when we started with our first two minis. Another dear lady I call upon often is none other than Mary Lou :aktion033: I have been very blessed to start with minis and have had the guidance of these three ladies :bgrin

What a WONDREFUL question this is! And it honors all of those wonderful people who are there in the middle of the night when we are foaling our first baby, and in the daytime when we have a pressing question about fitting a show halter...........

MY MINI Mentor is Jody Hoch! I can say it now because she is at the National meeting in Florida and won't get after me for mentioning her name on the board, in public (until she returns!).

She has been there for me with question after question (stupid ones too) at work, at home, on the road, at shows, in the middle of a snow storm....Through thick and thin, bending over backward, and trying not to laugh at the constant barrage of e-mails and calls, always with the right answer, even if it's "I don't know, girl!"

Then there's that raised eyebrow I got for trying to put a WAY TOO FANCY halter on HER mare before taking her in the ring......

She went shopping with my daughter, Molly and I so Molly could have show clothing and gave her Commodity (the ever patient show horse) to show at the Eastern Regionals....MOLLY"S FIRST EVER SHOW!

All this from three states away!

Thank you, Thank you, Jody!

Latest posts

Back