Do you have a mini mentor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This forum is the best mentor there is I think! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

[SIZE=12pt]My mentors are Larry and Maryann Cerullo (otherwise known at Miniv on the forum). They have taught me more than I could have ever imagined. Two very caring, animal loving people whom I hold in high regard. :aktion033: [/SIZE]

Here are some other people that helped me out allot/look up to.

RabbitFizz ...yes she hates me, but i get allot out of her posts.

Lyn ...she is the 'mom' at the board, she knows what she is talking about.

Marty, marty is just great and really helpful!

Leeana

My mini mentors are primarily Frank and Charlotte Lupton of Reflections (Charlotte on the Forum) and Becky Schulz of Redrock Miniature Horse Farm (Becky on the Forum). I've asked them ENDLESS questions about conformation, showing in halter, conditioning, training, foaling, etc. They've willingly given me their advice more times than I can count. I'll go to them before I go to anyone else.

Some people don't want to help you unless you buy a horse from them or put one in training with them, but Becky, Charlotte and Frank aren't like that. It was two years before we bought a horse from either one, yet in all that time, they didn't hesitate to help me with anything I needed. They aren't in it for the money, but for the love of the horse and to improve the breed! :aktion033:

Julie Miller (R3 on the Forum, but she doesn't post anymore) has taught me so much about trimming hooves, and I can't thank her enough for it! She also helped me get my start in driving and sold us our first mini (Bob in my signature).

I also have to thank Getitia for taking the time to teach me about dwarf characteristics. Erica has been a big help in learning about conformation as well (and of course, I got my Ozzy from her
default_wub.png
: ). And Robin C, I AND my horses thank you for taking the time to help me figure out how to feed my horses more effectively and safely.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Kim (Crayonbox Miniatures) is my mini mentor. She is the first and currently only miniature horse owner I have talked to face to face. I purchased Fever from her and she helped us along with finding a place for him to stay, doing the AMHR paperwork, and is always there to answer a question. Thanks Kim!

I'd say Kim (Crayonbox Miniatures) is my mini mentor. Thanks Kim!
Thanks Becky! I've been so happy to help you and your family in your Mini venture.
default_smile.png

My Miniature mentors:

Tammie (C-Spots) who got me involved with the Falabellas, and is a wealth of information about them too! She answered sooo many of my first questions as a newbie to foaling, breeding, etc, and has allowed me to lease her wonderful broodmare "Spring". She is also my "conformation" critic and I always ask her advice before purchasing a horse. Thanks Tammie!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

And my other mentor is Susan Oberg, she is a dear, sweet person, and love to chat with her about the horses, and life in general. Thanks Susan for all your support over the difficult past year!
default_wub.png
:

Thanks Kim,

I sure enjoy talking minis and about life with you too. :)

And I hope 2006 is a super year for you in all ways!

Susan O.

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks Carrie of Narrow Way Farm! :bgrin I'm thrilled that you tinnk so much of us! We love helping others with the minis!
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]

Bill & Wanalynn

Thanks Sandy - that was kind of you!

My first 'mentor' is no longer in minis, which is a good thing - I did learn alot but at a price! The Forum has been a big overall Mentor since 1999 - what a wealth of knowledge that so many here generously share - so a big thanks Mary Lou again! Kris Patsolic was one that answered questions when I was a real newbie way back when!

Tony Greaves is an unofficial one (I haunted his site to learn about foal color the first couple of years - and still have the files!) Plus he's always been kind, generous with his information and experience.

Others would be Jim Curry, wcr, Suzi Hooper, have all been helpful with the training/showing end. Jim is also a wealth of knowledge about mini bloodlines, showing tips, strategies, etc. I do have a good supportive group of friends here - sedeh, wcr, Nicolette (if you're reading!!!), bluerogue - it's nice to have people to bounce ideas of off!

I'm a bit late to see this thread, but thought I'd add my mentor to the list.

REO was one of the first people I PMmed and Emailed on this site. It was sheer fate that led me to her and I have been so very grateful.

In February 2002, I purchased some horses from PA (Galloping G and KDS Short Stuff Stables) and they were shipped down by Lucky Me transport (Nancy, Sandy and Mike and Lyn have all been wonderful people in my 'mini' experience as well). Well the day my horses were delivered, I remember seeing a CUTE little pinto stallion on the trailer and asked about him. He'd been sold to someone in a neighboring town and I was so jealous! I remembered that he had the cutest personality (- he would wiggle his upper lip to say hello!) and I just fell in love with him on the spot.

I believe it was the very next day I found this site and I saw a post that REO did where she was heartbroken to find that the person who had bought a horse of hers had put him up for sale (because her husband decided he was too tall, even though she had been told his height repeatedly). Robin was sad because she loves her horses and wants them to go to good homes - it's very disheartening to trust someone with one of your 'kids' only to have them turn around and sell them without even giving them a chance.

I went to the saleboard and saw a picture of the horse she was talking about and Low and behold it was the same little guy I'd seen on that trailer the day before!! I couldn't believe it! I emailed REO to tell her that I'd seen her boy the day before and our emails just went from there.

Since then Robin has been a very dear friend to me. Her friendship has been so valuable when it came to horses and just my personal life in general. She's helped me to learn in so many areas, the knowledge I have gleened from her has been so incredibly valuable!!! I know I can depend on her to be HONEST with me regardless what the situation is. If I am oogling a horse and think I might be interested in buying it, I always send her the info and ask her opinion. She gives it to me (for better or worse) and even though I've come away with my lip pooching out a time or two, I respect her for being honest with me and telling me "WHY" she feels the way she does. She's not a 'yes person' kind of friend, she tells it like it is....and it's a true treasure to find that kind of honesty in people these days.

Robin's like the sister I've never had. She genuinely cares about people and does her best to help any way she can when people have questions about foaling or hoof trimming or whatever. I've bought one colt from her and she told me everything about him, his sire and his dam - and since I visited her in person to pick him up I was able to see both parents and make an educated decision on buying him. Not many people disclose everything (unless asked - or in some cases PRODDED) and I found that REO was eager to tell me everything there was to know.

Thank you REO for being a true friend to me for the past (nearly) 4 years, it's probably because of you that I haven't given up (on a lot of things) long before now !!

[SIZE=12pt]I have to say my mini mentor would have to be Dana (Dreamweaver Farms). She is my trainer and has helped me and my horses and I would trust her over anyone. Next would have to be Laura (Flying A Farm). She breeds for versatility in horses and thats what I want for my breeding. When you see Laura and Dana at work together, especially at Nationals, its fun to watch
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

The one great thing about horse people is that everytime you meet one the are generous with their knowledge and experience and willing to share. It is easy to walk away from every one of them with new ideas and information.

That said, probably my biggest mentor is Michelle Sharrock of Wesco Farms as she is a wealth of information in areas I am still trying to learn. It is thanks to her that I have my wonderful stallion Val(Doradas Spiritwalker in my avatar). We have a wonderful give and take relationship and are strong in the areas that the other is weak in. Now she just has to sell her place and move to Oregon.

Sandy(sedeh) is just learning the mini world but she has always supported me and been my show mom for several years while I was chasing my dreams.

I have an indispensable mini mentor......Robin AKA REO has been such a wonderful friend to me in my search for mini horses. She has taken her time to look over numerous horses that I have sent her for review. Her critiques on their conformation have been such a help to me. I'm still learning about conformation and am thankful that Robin has so graciously helped me!!
default_wub.png
: She has also been there for me when I've had questions about minis and their care that I felt were too "stupid" to ask on the forum. She's always helpful and never, ever makes me feel dumb!!

:aktion033: :aktion033: [SIZE=14pt]Thank You, Robin!!!! I really, really appreciate you taking the time to help me!!! [/SIZE] :aktion033: :aktion033:

I have MANY mini mentors to thank and credit -- hope I don't leave anyone out.

Harriett Rubins and Jennifer Lilly -- helped introduce me to minis and get my first 2. I met Harriett and Jen at Horse Heads NY when I was at a dressage show -- and there was a mini show going on at the same facility! They befriended me as a rank newbie -- and introduced me to the breed and taught me much! Harriett has helped me purchase several minis over the year!

Tina and Nata Porter -- taught me about daily care, conditioning, feeding etc.. as well as how to start a mini in harness -- and how to clip - apply makeup and much much more -- they boarded my mini herd (varied from 2 - 20+) for several years while we were waiting on some money for me to buy my own place -- they were more than helpful and extremely patient with me and my horses (not to mention that they introduced me to their cousin Kimmie -- who is now my husband!!!). Unfortunately they are in the process of moving to Texas -- so I won't see them very much anymore.

Laura Tennill -- has been a big help with show tips and training tips -- and leads to many of the horses that I now own.

Robin from Little Kings is also a mentor of sorts for me -- although she may not know it! -- She very graciously showed me (and Tina) around Little Kings -- and taught me a lot about the wonderful horses they have there (including Buckeroo) -- I hope someday to be able to buy one of their wonderful horses!! (I missed out on that incomparable Little Kings Dr. Dream a gorgeous, fabulous mover, cremello stallion by Little Kings Dream Supreme)

There are many more excellent mini people in this area -- many I have met through the Bluegrass Miniature horse club.

JJay

Ok Michelle are you trying to make me cry here? Thanks so much and so glad I could be of help
default_smile.png

As for mentors I've had many over the years, the biggesst and also one of my best friends for years has been Laura of Flying A Farm, I don't even want to think about the amount of money in phone bills over the years since she and I were first introduced by Becky at Redrock.

There are so many others that I'm not going to name any for fear of leaving others out.

Krisp

I think Margie Woods at MarJac's would be number one on my list. My mom and I went looking for min's on our way home from Houston Texas(spur of the moment but long thought about)Marge took her whole afternoon and showed us around and told us about the pro's ,con's, and her mistakes in the past. By the time we left we both knew what we wanted. MINI'S. I ended up going back and getting 3 from her (and oo I wanted more)They are darlings and I think they will be the basis for a small herd eventually.Margie is a special person and i wish I was closer to help her out. O ,we didn't get home that night,had to get a motel room. LOL There are many others i have talked to since then and this forum would be listed ther too.
default_yes.gif
: Thank You All !

Aw thank you ladies for your sweet words!
default_wub.png
:

You both mean the world to me!

:aktion033: Our mini mentor was and is Rita Jenkins of Weeokie farm. She was the one who sold us our first horse and taught us everything we needed to know! From feeding, showing, foaling our first mare and everything in between. Thanks Rita and Hugh for everything. We think the world of you! Sheila and Pat

Latest posts

Back