Do you have a mini mentor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmycritters

Reaction score
First off - I hope this is in the correct place.
rolleyes.gif

I have been hearing a lot about mentor's lately and got to thinking - do I have one and if so - who? Well of course I have a mentor I told my self - that would be my mini bud Corinne Ermis of Meadowridge Miniatures!! Who do I call when I have a question or a problem - Corinne. Who is always there to help me with ANY THING? ( Even not horse related. ) CORINNE! Lets just say that any thing I have learned about these wonderful creatures, I have learned from this lady that I am so proud to concider my good friend.
wub.gif
( I do admit though - I have lot's left to learn!! ) Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one for many years - Vern Brewer. He and I travelled for thousands of miles looking for miniatures when the AMHA began and I absorbed his lifetime of knowledge. He was like a second father to me and I was honored to be a pall bearer at his funeral.

Absolutely I have a mentor. There are many that I have learned a great deal from and I don't mean to diminish their value by not listing them here, but there is one that stands out above all the rest.
aktion033.gif
Clara Woodson! (Forum name: Walter)

I bought one of my first horses from Clara and her husband Walt (who sadly passed away about a year ago). I later went back and bought more horses from her. I have remained in contact with her and often seek her advise. She has helped me more than I could ever express.

Kaykay
biggrin.gif

I wish she would adopt me, lol.

But i think this whole board is my mentor kind of.

But Kay without a dought ..she goes out of her way sometimes!
yes.gif

Leeana

My mentor was Cindy Coffman with Mother Natures Miniatures. Along with my food mentor Robin C. when I first started with minis and lastly all you wonderful people on the forum. heheheheh
biggrin.gif

thanks leanna!! I was so lucky to have some wonderful mentors such as cathy buerher, lowel boone, linda rodriquez, lisa davis, the entire grabow family, ginny boyle shoot i could go on and on about all the people that have helped me. So I try really hard to help other new people with the small amount of knownledge i have

Yes, I had a mentor for many years. I went to their ranch every weekend and kept my eyes and ears wide open. It was an incredible learning experience - one that I will cherish always.

Liz R.

I have several, whether they know it or not. I'm a people watcher and I try to emulate those I respect and admire. To start a list would be: my mom - she's not a horse person, but she's classy.

Belinda Bagby - if you've never had the opportunity to watch her in the ring, you're missing out. Class, confidence, and champions. What else could you want?

Sharron Hinkle - Like Belinda, she's someone to watch.

These are ladies at the top of their game and I'm scratching and crawling my way up to them!
wink.gif
One day, I'll feel we can stand shoulder to shoulder!

I have several but have some that I am very close to both as friends and mentors are - Belinda Bagby and Robin and Marianne (LFK)

[SIZE=14pt]It's nice to hear of the good things that happen in this world and of the warm and generous people that really do exist. I am happy to see such companionship and care flowing through the people in this forum. You are all encouraging![/SIZE]

I especially like your touching post, Tony about Mr. Brewer. I would have loved to sit and chat with some of the "originals" who started the breed and registries. Heck, I would be happy just to sit and chat with anyone about the breed in general.

Keep up the awesome and good threads that have been starting out the new year!!!
wink.gif

I guess my mentor has been this forum and all the wonderful people in it!
wub.gif

I don't get to talk to him very much, but every visit that I have with Lee Martin is an educational opportunity for me. He not only tell the good things, but also warns me about a lot of problems he's faced over the years.

I know that my wife highly values the opinions of two people she idolized as a youth, Portia Sue Owens-Kalinka and Belinda Bagby.

[SIZE=14pt]Bruce Abbott is of course my current and most active mentor. Dr Tom Taylor from Michigan Pony Farm...... lots of you here on the board....Getetia is who I would love to be like..... dont want to leave any of you out..... I have learned the most though about feeding and grooming etc from Bruce.[/SIZE]

Lyn
aktion033.gif
wub.gif
yes.gif

I have several mentors!

I consider Lyn J., Liz Marks, Linda Best, and Faith Graichen (not a forum member) my mentors. They have helped me so much from advice, to showing me some things, helping me pick out horses. Thanks guys!
wub.gif

Editted to add - How can I forget? Jamie Byrd (Feather1414) is also a great friend and mentor to me!

I kind of learned as I went. I have had horses for 32 years and my family knew nothing about horses. But I read and read, ask questions when I can. I learn something new every day on the forum. I question my vets all the time. I volunteered at New Bolten during foaling season for3+ years and they taught me a lot.

To name 3 people that have been a great help to me over the years.... My sister Barb Smith who had a farm, managed a Llama farm for many years, birthed all kinds of critters, Donna Julius from Sunny J Ranch... I pick her brain all the time, she is very patient with me.... and Sarah Zakk(winchester farm) who has taught me so much about patience,showing, and halter breaking and handling foals, you wouldn't believe it. She also is a great sounding board when I need to talk about horse stuff. Thanks you gals! And Thank you Forum family!

My mentor was Carol Adams. She showed me the ins and outs of showing. She always helped us when we were in a pickle. I greatly appreciate her sharing her knowledge.

MiniSeasons said:
Editted to add - How can I forget? Jamie Byrd (Feather1414) is also a great friend and mentor to me!
535634[/snapback]

Awwww, thank you Jessica!

Jessica is also a really good mentor. We have helped each other out a lot, and I always love hearing about her horse stories.

My biggest mentor is my trainers, PJ and Robert Nabozny of Magic Man Training Center. They have helped me learn EVERYTHING, then in turn I take it and make up my own techniques, with without them, I wouldnt even be into minis.

Oh I have many, and they are on this forum! Won't name them all because I know I will forget someone!

I have had a small handful of very very wonderful people that have helped me since we got our first mini in 2002.

I am hoping to find someone who can help us rebuild our herd the right way. I don't want to scramble and grab onto what ever I can get a hold of, I want to do it right, and I sure could use some additional pointers on correct conformation and training advice.

This forum has been my very best mentor by far !
aktion033.gif

Tony Greaves is my mini mentor. :)

He has always been willing to answer my questions honestly........ and we share a love of the tiny ones :)

I value his world of experience so very much!

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back