Do you fit your own or send them to a trainer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say most has been said. I will put in my two cents. I am an amateur. I feed, muck stalls, groom, train, fit, clip and dress for the show ring myself most of the time. But I also have 7 yearlings that are all show worthy. One 4 year old. Two 3 year olds. And Two 2 year olds. All can win in the ring.

So this year I had to ship two to a trainer so I could have time to keep 8 afloat on my trailer.

It was a huge undertaking. But I was at all but 2 shows where the two with the trainer went, so I still participated and practiced showing them.

I will not at this time ship an animal that is not with in 8 hours reach of my home. I have had one bad experience in the past which wasn't horrible, but I was glad to bring my filly back home at the end of the season.

Now I have one 3 year old out that needed to go because he training to drive. I was able to do the ground driving stint, but do not have the time right now to get him hooked and going. So he is out.

Take your goals and ask yourself, like so many others have suggested and figure out if it is something that is self satisfying for you to do all the work?

I am just "me"....I do not use a trainer, I focus on halter horses and I like to do ALL the work myself. I have always been one of those people who just like it done "my" way. Live and learn from my own mistakes....but atleast if anything is not done correctly it is my fault and not someone elses. I know how I want my ponies to look, its trail and error for me right now as I am still just about 6-7 years into this and my ponies are still not where I want them to be but getting closer every year. I am always tweaking things to make it work.

I like the feeding, record keeping and watching the horses grow up. I show a lot of Junior horses and I just love watching them mature from weaning-yearlings-2yr olds and on up. Plus with the horses I plan to raise, I would like to watch the crosses I do mature and how they mature and look on my feeding program.

I work a full time 40 hour a week (sometimes more...like this week ugh..) "job" from 6am-4pm - I work my butt off as my line of work is nursing. I have 5 ponies in the barn to show next year, and I did 5 show ponies this past year...seems to be a good number for me although this last summer my job was on rotating shifts and I went from working midnights to days in the middle of show season and that really threw things off for me.

It's just what I enjoy, I love working the ponies...the feeding..the cleaning, sometimes the clipping. I do all the show grooming and prep and show all the ponies myself (..agian just how I like to do things, myself)...that way it is done how I like it to be done. My nephew helps some, i'm working on 'training' him my rutine for the show grooming.

Now if I had a driving horse, it would be at the trainers. I would not have a clue how to start a show driving pony........that I would let a respected trainer take on for me........

I love talking to the breeders and handlers (not really just trainers, there are a lot of ammys out there that are as good if not better then most trainers). If I like how their horses look and if I feel comfortable asking them, I will ask them about their feeding, work rutine, suppliments ext. I love talking to the breeders who know the bloodlines. There is a breeder here in Ohio that I recently have been lucky enough to get to know, he is like a walking studbook. Sort of have to be like a sponge when he talks and just soak it all up. There are so many people out there with so much knowledge to offer and are kind enough to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a professional trainer, I'd like to add my thoughts.

I've had a number of clients over the years such as yourself. Relatively new to miniature horses and wanting to show. But, they have no idea what they need to do to fit, train, condition and show their horses themselves. It can be a bit overwhelming and intimidating at first!

So, I've been fortunate to take their horses for training and showing. My clients have learned to get their feet wet in the show ring, groom, fit and condition a horse by watching and asking questions. They've learned what's involved at the horse shows and what all goes on behind the scenes without becoming so overwhelmed. They are able to come to the shows and show their horses in most cases giving the owner a lot of confidence. After a year or two, many of them have gone on to be quite successful showing their horses themselves.

And I have the satisfaction of knowing I've helped them to achieve their goals.

Latest posts

Back