Do you believe in spirits?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe too. Usually I feel the BAD spots. As I'm a naturally more empathetic person, the bad guys seem to find it easier to bother me.

When I was with the pro dog handler, we shared a house with the other apprentices. I couldn't work in the corner where the stove was. I always felt like something was going to jump out and grab me!! I'd see arms reaching toward me out of the corner of my eye. I was the only one who ALWAYS tripped when carrying hot pots from the stove to the counter. One evening I thought the brick wall was toppling over on me. When I finally convinced the kennel manager to call the trainer (he lived off-site) to come check it for foundation problems, he had a good chuckle. He explained that local rumors said that the owner previous to the one he'd purchased the place from caught his wife cheating. He'd bricked her up into a closet that used to be in that corner. She was found after several days when other people in her life (including her lover) didn't hear from her and sent the police to check on her. My trainer said he didn't care about the rumors, he got a great deal. I didn't do any more cooking on that stove for the last 18 months I was there.

I've had a few other things similar..and bad...in various places. Usually in homes that had a history of housing violent and dysfunctional families.

The only fun spirit was in Elk City, Idaho. My friend Gertrude took us to the local bed and breakfast to meet her "friend". We sat down to lunch and Gertrude called out "well, do you like this one?" I just about fell off my chair when a lace place at floated from the sideboard to settle in front of me! Gertrude grabbed my forearm and hissed "don't move!" The place at was followed by a teacup and saucer. Gertrude cackled and chortled at my shocked expression. I accused her of setting up a trick, but I sure couldn't figure it out. Her response was that she'd had one best woman friend in her life, and that lady had owned this homestead. She'd always told Gertrude she was going to come back and haunt the homestead, being unpleasant to folks she didn't like and pleasant to the ones she did. Gertrude laughed it off, since she was a very straightforward, tough lady. After her friend died, Gertrude took a couple trips to the place with the realtor was showing it. Elk antlers displayed on the walls fell off, just missing prospective buyers. Once a tea kettle flew off a (cold) wood stove and hit a man in the knee. Gertrude told the realtor "my friend always said she'd let me know when she liked them." The person who finally bought the place was shown approval by receiving a gift of kindling wood that do floated in from the back door. There were stories about town that the lady who turned it into a bed and breakfast often found new artwork moved from one wall or another, or fresh flowers in vases where she hadn't put them. She took it in stride. When Gertrude needed a companion (my reason for being interviewed there) she'd take applicants she liked over to her friend for the final OK. Inn owner told me the last interview ended with a cup of sweet tea dumped on applicant's head.

I never knew if all this was true, since Gertrude was the type that could be a bit devious. Once when she was selling a pack/trail horse, buyer asked if you could shoot from the horse. She responded yes. Buyer took horse out for a test ride. About 10 minutes later we hear a shot, then horse returned riderless. When the rider finally hobbled back and thought he'd shout at Gertrude and call her a liar, well, she got right up to him and set him straight. "You asked if you could shoot from this horse....and you did. You didn't ask me if he'd stand." Knowing that about her is why I wondered if she'd set up the B and B thing to pull my leg. I'll find out for sure if I ever get back out there. Gertrude said she'd visit me after she passed, dressed only in her monkey skin jacket so I'd know for sure that it was her.

(For inquiring minds, a monkey skin jacket is what well-off, fashionable young ladies out west wore during the 1920's. Monkey skin jackets were even sold with an ivory comb to keep the long fur from knotting)

I'm a believer too! I've had many different experiences with both humans and animals! I sometimes wake up during the night to feel my cat sleeping all snuggled up at the back of my legs, which isn't unusual except that she died about 10 years ago! One night when I was in highschool I woke up at 2:15am and saw my grampa's cousin standing in the hallway outside my bedroom waving. I told my parents about it in the morning and we all laughed about my dream. Later at school, his grandson came and told me that his grampa had died that morning around .....2:15 am!! He had spent a lot of time at our house with my grampa and I guess he wanted to say his goodbyes!

I'm enjoying this thread very much. And like Robin O. - have too many experiences to list, both with humans and animals.

Something tells me that if we all put our experiences together, we could write a great book of short stories!

Not anymore.

For the past few years I have had more things happen to me you wouldn't believe it. Problem is, its only happened to me and not to my son Dan or my husband. No one could see what I saw or hear what I heard or know what I knew. Things got way out of hand and I had to come up with logical explanations for everything to save my sanity and I did. I really think I convinced myself that all these signs and things that happened were really something that I somehow had asked for or dreamed of but in reality, they were not. I think it was just wishful thinking on my part and nothing else. I no longer will buy into anything like that any longer. I can't.

Latest posts

Back