Do I need to be concerned about my 1 month old colt mounting my mares in heat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
I am used to seeing foals jump up on their dam's backs, or any other horse/or foals in play, but one of our 1 month old colts will walk up to any of my mares that are in heat sniff around them for a minute, "drop", get an erection, mount the mare from the side, swing to her rear, and immediately try to penetrate. On my shorter mares, he would be able to do this with out much trouble. I have seen stuff drip from him. There could not be any possibility he could be fertile, right????

I always get him down, but I am sure he does not only do this when I am around.

He and his dam get turned out daily with the other mares & foals and all my other lots are being occupied by my stallions for breeding season.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Its not just a sexual act its also a social act and the mares that are in heat stand and put up with it. All very normal.

Dr Taylor

My colt does that to one of the mares not in heat, she is just great with babies and lets him. I just tell him to enjoy it while he can cause later on the same mares will kick his behind for it.

At what age can he actually be fertile and need to be seperated from the mares?

I have a colt JUST like this.... I keep waiting for one of the girls to tell him to 'drop dead' but they just tolerate him.
default_wacko.png
Thinks he is quite the lady's man already, LOL

I seperate ALL my boys by the winter of their weanling year. They are not allowed out with the girls after that as yearling fillies can cycle and some colts are 'dropped' at a year old. I dont want to take any chances. It seems that those boys can 'wake up' practically over night too and suddenly realize they are 'boys'.

He will probably get over this behavior for awhile. I have had only one colt that was "all prepared" at just a month old. He looked so silly! But he soon got over that little phase of big boy behavior and didn't bother any more for months. He didn't get the inclination back until he was 7 or 8 months old and by then he was away from the girls--when he tried to talk to them over the fence they weren't impressed. Quite clearly they held him in contempt--he's just a kid they said!

At what age can he actually be fertile and need to be seperated from the mares?
On average they will be fertile June of their 2yr old year. But err on the side of safety if you don't want him siring foals.

Dr Taylor

On average they will be fertile June of their 2yr old year. But err on the side of safety if you don't want him siring foals.

Dr Taylor
Did you mean Yearling year? (and even that is asking for trouble)

I only ask because I am right now waiting on a 3 yr. old mare to foal that was bred by a yearling colt last year. (accident !!!!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
Him and his 2 gelding buddies slipped into my mare pasture for maybe 2 hours in June of last year...sigh) when I realized this and ran out to get him out everybody looked soooo innocent
default_laugh.png
Fortunately I wrote the date down. Sigh...

Sue
default_smile.png

Edited to add: I'm with Laurie...weanling colts are separated from the girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many colts can breed and get a mare in foal at 10 months old. Never ever keep your colts in longer than that.... unless you want unplanned breedings.

I have seen this happen so many times to other people, it's scary.

Thank you for the information and sharing of experiences!
default_saludando.gif

I am very relieved he does not have to be moved right now since I do not really have any other place to put him at the moment
default_rolleyes.gif

I was pretty sure he could not be fertile and I am glad to know there are no other reasons why he would have to be moved.

At 2yo your colt could have sired a dozen foals. 10 months is the time to start worrying. I'd separate before 10 months, more like 8. By his first birthday he'll have undergone puberty.

Yes my old stallion sired a couple of foals as a yearling! (And still going strong at 21, LOL)

It's true that there are a number of fertile yearling colts. There may be a few that are fertile before they're 12 months old, but if you look at the overall average, no, there aren't going to be that many. I believe that Dr. Taylor said "average" and I suspect that if you could test every colt there is it would prove the truth of what he says. Just because we've all known a yearling or 18 month old colt that has impregnated a mare doesn't mean that "most" yearling or 18 month old colts are fertile.

That being said, I wouldn't personally count on it that a 10 month old or 12 month old or 18 month old can't impregnate a mare--we separate the weanling colts by the time they are 7 or 8 months old, sooner if they are showing any interest in mares...but not as soon as 1 month or even 2-4 months.

Latest posts

Back