Difference in temperment between ponies and minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I am currently looking to get a new horse in the next several months. I have only ever had the minis or a full size horse and my only experience around the Shetlands has been seeing them at shows. There is a aspc/amhr horse but I believe he is just a small Shetland with no mini in him that I really like however the owner mentioned something about the pony factor when I was asking a question about his temperament. What does that mean? What is the difference between a shetland and mini temperament? I haven't been to see him as he is in another state and I want to know what I would be getting myself into if I got him.

The Shetlands are much much smarter than the Minis. I have always got along well with ponies, even when I was a kid...I had Morgans for many years and enjoyed them--always found them smart. Got minis in 2001--and found them to be less smart and less agreeable than the Morgans. I got my first American Shetland in 2008 and now have a number of them--and have to say that I find the Shetlands to be even smarter than the Morgans were--that is going some!

Of the 3--Morgans, minis and Shetlands, I like the Shetlands best--because of their intelligence and personality. Many people cannot cope with a smart pony, which is why so many complain about the pony personality. Fact is, once a pony figures out that he is smarter than the person trying to work with him, he is likely to give that person a very difficult time.

I'll be the complete opposite and say I prefer my minis over my one half shetland. Now with that being said she probably is my best show horse as far as driving is concerned. But she will never be a all-around performance horse like I would like her to be. She knows all the maneuvers but she is scared of everything and its even worse at shows. I'm lucky to get away with it when I show her in driving. Doesn't matter how much you teach her she will always be this way. Whereas my minis I don't have this issue and all of them are all-around performance horses.

So I much prefer the minis but if you can find the right top notch shetland with an awesome attitude then that would be the way too go. Of all the ponies I've trained yes they are smart, but they are naturally hot blooded. Only one pony I trained really did a complete 180 and I was extremely happy with him and he ended up being a riding pony.

I also prefer minis, although to be fair, I have only owned one Shetland, that was Triple reg'd. My minis always had temperaments that were very loving, and people oriented. THAT is the disposition I like in whatever horse I own, no matter the breed or the size.

I haven't found an overall difference... They vary greatly according to the individual. Basically they are all small ponies
default_smile.png

I prefer my mini shetland to my mini horse, purely because she is so quiet that you don't have to be on your toes with her. She is set in her ways, likes her routine and likes to know whats going on, but is obsessed with kisses and cuddles, is such a good temperament and just loves attention. My mini horse likes to keep me on my toes and is always getting into mischief. I can't leave anything down, can't keep a feed bucket for longer than 6 months before it's completely wrecked (have had the same one for my mare for ever) minis are easier to train i think, shetlands are a little bit more stubborn and can seem a bit thick but i think its more "im too smart to want to please you by doing this silly trick" lol

If i were to place them as dogs, minis would be a labradoodle and shetlands a bulldog!

Last edited by a moderator:
I raise and show ASPC Classic and foundation ponies (some under 38"...most are 40-44/46").

The minis tend to have a calmer disposition.....the shetlands tend to have more of a suicidal streak to them at times LOL.

This ^^^^... :D

In my experiences, I have found the ponies to be more of a wired nature than the Minis. More observant, more suspicious. Many are just as kind once you get to know them, but they are ready for action- at all times!

The ponies we have are flighty compared to the Minis. The half ponies are just as flighly.

I don't think there is much difference as a breed, just individual differences.Minis all have Shetland ancestors way back. I've known some really squirrelly Minis and the same kind of Shetlands.IMO it's an individual thing.

I think every horse has their own personality just like people do. Its a combination of genes, environment and training. I know that ALL small equine get lumped into a stereotype of being "snotty ponies" just like all Arabs are spastic and all thoroubreds are stupid. They are stereotypes. A lot of small equine behave like that because tthey're allowed to because they're "cute". Personally, I find my minis to be calmer and more tolerant while my Shetlands think more for themselves and act more like a horse than the minis. People might think that being defensive makes them "stupid" because they dont do what the handler wants but I think its a difference between patience and intelligence. Ive known ponies who let themselves out of pens and stalls, skip around jumps and squeeze through fence. People call them "stupid ponies" because they misbehave but I think their curiosity shows intelligence. By saying "the pony factor" I think the seller is just implying that small equine need some more attention and occupation to keep them out of trouble. But thats just my observation. I have had "suicidal" ponies who were just plain bat **** crazy and some who were dead broke child babysitters. But all in all I do believe there are more stereotypes associated with minis and ponies than there are with big horses.

I think ponies are stinkers be it whatever breed lol . My miniature can be stubborn if he wants to and likes to test me when we are in training but really what horse doesnt unless it is 100% push button as we call it in the riding world.

I have owned other poines not necessarily registered (welshxmorgan, welshxconnemara, welshxQH) I think the most calm and easy going was the welsh morgan but the most dynamica was my welsh connemara which I think that was the connemara which has the spunk in them. All were sweet and extremely smart in the fact they could pick up things very quickly and always did it to the best of their abilities without little fuss.

My large pony is always getting into stuff and trying to help out. In general he likes to be with me and figure out why I'm not doting on him instead. Fast learning snothead.

But my mini also tries to help and pesters me. More people and objects being messed with, the more she is interested. Slow learning little turd.

My horse could care less, very independent, indifferent and mature. Thinks she knows everything showoff.

lol

The horses in learning to ride groups, the pony was more like a donkey, 'No' to everything. Horse was an angel who knew everything. Weren't any minis there.

My 3 yr old welsh X pony gelding (43") is an aggressive, 'thick,' jerk-face. Hard to teach anything, even harder to get 'on your side.'

My 32" mini stallion is the biggest push button, bomb proof baby that's as 'stupid proof' as any stallion can be. Can train him almost anything if I have a handful of cookies and 10 minutes. If he's not doing it, it's because he doesn't understand what you want. "I won't cause I dont wanna" is NOT in his vocabulary. Strangely he's about as dominant as they come too, but not with people. He respects me as King B**ch, but is NOT afraid, and is still gentle as a lamb when handled by even unexperienced children (supervised of course!) He's oddly 'motherly.' However, he's also my 'once in a lifetime' horse.

Depends on the horse, the bloodline, the upbringing, the person handling, and the chemistry of the pair more than the breed I think. I've ridden some bombproof TB's in my day, and some psychotic draft or stock horse X's.

Thanks everyone. I am aware that each is an individual and temperaments vary. From his pictures he looks to have a soft eye. Just not very familiar with Shetlands. I had picked up from shows that the minis seemed calmer and the Shetlands a bit flightier but I didn't feel it fair to judge having not spent time with them. It makes it a bit hard being unable to meet him and your input is appreciated.

Also, there is stress on the show trail and differences in feeding programs while showing. I noticed major differences (& heard from trainers when I had them out) that both our ponies and minis had "heckle & hyde" personality changes - when feeds changed for showing. Not only did personalities change - but so did responses to the training they had OR hadn't received. I had noticed the same differences years ago when we showed QH, Paints & Arabs. I have not directly handled mine when they were being campaigned on the ASPC/AMHR show trail - all were with out of state trainers for the two years we actively campaigned so far.

When my children were showing the ponies in open and H/J shows - the ponies & minis stayed living outside and on the same daily feed/hay program. When we hauled to longer shows - I took the same hay and feed and they'd been trained to accept stalling - though not stalled on a regular basis at home. We never saw differences like I saw with stalled horses moved to different feeds/hays. But then again - I bred the riding ponies for a QUIET, AGREEABLE, TRAINABLE personality able to be handled by children as well as in-experienced adults - completely different personalities than 1/2 our herd has now. Edited to add - **Those same ponies were not considered to be "show ponies" for the ASPC/AMHR circuits** - according to trainers I spoke with in the 90s and earlier 2000s... Too quiet & lacking of the "show me" attitude - but they were PACKERS and CARETAKERS at the shows we went to and often showed all day/multiple days with different handlers!! They were considered "kids' ponies" not "show ponies". They ranged from 35" to 14.2 hh in size - measured at the withers. End Edit.

Can you speak to others about the bloodlines? It's not foolproof - I have both ponies and minis of VASTLY different personalities even w/i family groups (full siblings) and from 1/2 siblings w/ similar bloodlines on the opposite side.

What about getting video - if the pony was shown, then at shows - and at home in the roundpen, on a lead, turned out in pasture... See how the pony does when handled and what type of handling done.

We started out with arabs and cross bred arabs including welsh arabs. Loved them all. Bought our first shetland in 1986 for our daughter to go trail riding with us. It was a mistake with the one we bought, he was a very good lead line pony, but aweful when she tried to ride him by herself, he would put his head down, be strong, plant his feet, very stubborn. So we didn't learn our lesson and bought her another one. He was very good in the show ring but on the trail was very stubborn and if he saw home, off he ran. Minis are so laid back compared to those two shetlands, but then again, no one rides them around here. I only have one that is a little hot under the collar.

Paintponylvr you bring up a good point. Would any of you ladies that have Shetlands and know bloodlines be willing to pm me and see if you know anything about his and can tell me anything about those lines temperaments? I would greatly appreciate it. I admit a few of the things that have been said are cooling me on him a little but I am not quite ready to throw him out of consideration just yet as I do like him.

My minis are absolutely adorable, and love kisses and hugs. My Shetland is spunky, and can be grouchy and mean at times. Who do I love more? I love them all the same! They all have different personalities. They are all different living creatures and, like humans, they differ from one another in different ways. I have had my Shetland for almost over 6 years, and I love her to death. We both know each other so well that we both know what we can get away with, and we know right away how we will react in different situations. My Shetland is soooo darn smart! She knows exactly what I will do, almost before I know myself. The minis are just as cute and cuddly as can be, ready to soak up all of your love! But my Shetland is more then that...She and I have a connection that can only be reached by two extremely intelligent beings, and yes, she is almost human smart! (she also has human cravings...wine, beer, cheese, crackers and other gourmet foods..)

Genetically, most mini's have more shetland blood in them than the American Shetland.

Maggie, she is from the old Dell Terra lines and is purebred Shetland. Registered as a miniature horse of course.

Most of my friends that have Shetland... they have more hackney pony blood in them than Shetland any more.

As for which is better.... neither.

Maggie is a wonderful wee equine, she is a sweet heart and we do anything from pulling logs, to carting, to helping me with her Saw buck and pannier.

She has a nice even,non spooky temperament. She is also super smart.... and thinks she is a people.

I would judge each animal as an individual. There are mellow and hot, smart and not so much, in every breed....

Shari I agree... Every horse is an individual. I have had some so smart that you think there is a reincarnated human in there somewhere... and I have had some not so smart or for a better word... less trainable. Regardless of size or breed, however I do see trends in some that are related to breed and personality that is breed related just like dogs.

Appy horses for example, mini or large can be quite the character... Smart and often too smart. LOL. When my vet knew I had gotten an appy for a riding horse I remember his saying this .. "know why the native americans rode appy horses into battle?"... so they would be good and mad when they got there....

That did not prove to be true. My appys have been my favorite smart quirky and a breed apart, but for some, what my vet said could prove true.

Those shetlands in my past, were smart and willing but I remember a few that made a monkey out of everybody.

For Morgans.... I have heard of their smartness, their stamina and trainability, but have heard folks say.."if a morgan wants to give you a hard time, they have the strength to keep it up all day".

Anyway... my point is that each person has a temperament and style that is different... and each horse has the same. There are horses that perform better for different individuals too. For somebody that might not like a certain horse, I would say it is probably just because the temperaments have clashed. Therefore I do believe that the horse that works for one individual does not necessarily work for a different individual. One should look hard and close at each horse as an individual and be honest in evaluating your own personality and see if it is a good match. My trainer can make my one driving mini look like a champ... On occasion that same mini can make me look like a complete rookie when driving, but he gives me kisses and follows me like a dog and he is incredibly smart and he waits for my rookie hands to make one error and bam... takes advantage of me.

Then I see horses that make the most rookie novice look like a million bucks because they are forgiving of error and style.

me... before I got hurt, I choose horses with drive and determination and spirit and was not afraid to rise to the challenge of any size or breed of horse.

As I aged and got hurt and have boo boos, I prefer the horse that can "canter all day in the shade of one tree" ... LOL. Forgiving, easy, sweet... regardless of size or breed.

It is the same for dogs for me too... I used to only own Dobermans.. I was a Doberman snob or so to speak... now instead of choosing specific breeds of dogs, I choose any breed, but rather pick the dog as a unique individual rather than by breed alone.

rambling... cheers folks. good topic

Latest posts

Back