Difference in Minis compared to Large horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy gibbons

Reaction score
Had a vet tell me there are no differences between minis and lg. horses - years ago our vet took one of our studs and mare in heat and tested him - his sperm count was in the thousands compared to the lg. horse and if bred more than once in 6 hrs. his sperm count went way down - now we only tested one so that might not be accurate-I have heard their blood make up a little difference - some can't tolerate the same meds as a lg. horse... - more trouble with stifles - foaling, impactions etc. let's hear all of the differences you may know about..............

default_biggrin.png
Well minis are a lot smaller then average size horses

default_biggrin.png
Hey Heark K I know that much - We've been into minis 25 years holding many titles - just wanted to see what people say about the medical differences and sperm etc.

It was a joke. When I bought my stud I got him tested. The vet did say that he had a really high count. I forgot the number but it was a really high number.

default_biggrin.png
Hey Heark K I know that much - We've been into minis 25 years holding many titles - just wanted to see what people say about the medical differences and sperm etc.

It was a joke. When I bought my stud I got him tested. The vet did say that he had a really high count. I forgot the number but it was a really high number.

default_biggrin.png

I know it was a joke - I'm just really curious what people come up with over the years thru their vets or experiences etc.

On the subject of reproduction unlike full size stallions our vet said that one collection from a mini was only enough to AI a couple of mini mares . We were considering as a alternative to live coverage this but, if this is in fact True it wouldn't be worth the effort to us. Perhaps some have more or better info on this.

More prone to small colon impaction, more dental issues due to full size teeth in a mini head, more stifle issues probably due to breeding practices. More hair (LOTS).

We've only had one of our stallions collected, his sperm count was actually on the low side. Interesting though - motility and life of sperm went up dramatically with some extender added to the sample. I infused mares with extender for a couple of years immediately before breeding, did make a difference.

I've not noticed any particular difference in tolerance to meds, etc although it's pretty well documented that minis don't tolerate bute as well.

Jan

---> Sperm count on stallions works out to average. We've seen high and low counts but not a rule as of yet.

---> AI doesn't work as well for us. Yes, it works for some folks, but not us. Was talking to one of the Drs. from Sul Ross who said they also see a lower success rates.

---> Big horses vs little, we've had our share of problems with both, but the mild colics etc seem so be a lot less with our little horses. When we have a problem though, it's serious.

---> Stifles etc... My personal thoughts are that a lot of what we see comes from the newness of the breed and the people that raise them. Records are still enough to make you pull out your hair. Before DNA testing who really knew? And with harshipping - complete unknown. Unless you had a dedicated owner/breeder behind your horses how sure are you really that the pedigrees are accurate? A good breeder can look at the negatives and choose, is it worth it? Sometimes yes, Sometimes no. But, a lot of mini people don't come from a horse background. They start breeding before they can even see some of these things unless they are really obvious. As they grow and learn they do see it and turn into good breeders (hopefully), but really, who here hasn't produced at least one foal that was just a miss? One that made you say if I had known THAT about that horse, or payed more attention to this sign... Not trying to pick on anyone here, because I've said it too.

---> Foaling etc... Have you looked at the way the type of these horses has changed over the past twenty years? WOW! Three years ago we got a mare in for breeding, on her vet check it showed that her pelvis was so narrow that she would not be able to deliver with a C-Section. Couldn't prove it, but I believe that we've selected for type faster than fertility. As time goes on and we get more foals from the mares that can produce and loose more foals from the mares that can't, we will see an overall trend toward less foaling problems - as those foals mature and turn into producers themselves.

Fun Topic and Just My Opinions on it.

Thanks!

From the performance side of things:

-Minis sweat less than large horses in the same conditions.

-They seem to oxygenate better as their heart rate and respiration are quite remarkable after covering the same distance as a horse literally four times their size.

-They don't seem to get the same sort of leg injuries as large horses, either from jumping or strenuous driving exercise. Possibly because of shorter pasterns not allowing for hyperextension, or because of lower body weight to bone density ratios?

-A typical horse competing in combined driving events will pull about 50% of their own weight and come in sweaty and tired. A mini pulls 100-150% of their own weight and still bounces across the finish line.

On the physical side of things:

-Minis seem to have exactly as much hair as their larger counterparts, just crammed into a much smaller space.
default_wacko.png
Makes for majorly fluffy manes and tails as well as those infamous fur suits!

-Same amount of teeth and similar size, just squished in a smaller mouth.

-Same placental thickness but because the foal does not stretch it out in the last months as a full-sized horse does it can still be quite thick at birth and cause problems.

-Reproductive equipment in general seems to be the last thing to downsize. One vet I talked to also felt that their hearts and lungs remained oversized, possibly contributing to their amazing stamina.

On Medication:

-Minis are very prone to bute toxicity.

-It is not safe to give them Quest (I think it was Quest??) dewormer as they are extremely sensitive to overdose and can die from it.

If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Leia

Ditto what has been said here. One other thing that may have already been mentioned, toxicity in general, it takes alot less to make a mini much more ill than a large horse. A few pounds of toxic leaves may kill a large horse, as little as an ounce or two of toxic leaves can kill a mini. This can hold true with wormer, meds, bacteria, you name it.

In general, my minis have been very easy keepers, I love them to pieces.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok just to play a little advocate here.. can you REALLY consider the "toxicity" issue "different" than a big horse? it really just boils down to is ratio's.. Because they are so small compaired to a big horse..they take MUCH smaller doses of anything.. probably comparitively speaking they can take the same amount of these toxins PROPORTIONATELY speaking as a big horse. It's like many human children can have the same meds as an adult but must have them in a smaller dose..doesn't really make them "different" over. It's not really DIFFERENT..it's just different in that mini's are different because they are smaller. As I understand it the "bute" and Quest is an issue because many people overdose it (and i know it could be very easy to do since bute comes in tablets for like 600+lbs usually) not because they are particularly more sensitive to it..... I could be wrong on that.

I don't see TONS different than big horses..it all boils down to ratio's. the care is pretty much the same but you need to feed them proportiantely different amounts of feed, weights they can pull ect. They do tend to be a bit more efficient in how they utilize feed so may need to dry lot them. most of my mini's go out on grass in the summer and do just fine. it just depends on the mini.

It does depend on the horse, but as far as red maple poisoning goes, the ratio thing is out the window. I have had to do way too much research on poisonous tree topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had big horses before getting into minis and still own one.

From what I have observed, some of the differences:

• Minis are a very intelligent breed, more so than many full size ones
  • Minis have more affectionate dispositions than the average full size horse
  • Minis tend to be very easy keepers (not all, but most)
  • Due to owner handling, more minis have manners issues than full size horses (totally due to owner issues, not anything about the mind of the horses)
  • Minis are very hardy animals
  • I do not think they are more prone to colic or impaction, if people "think" about what they let them eat -- like a coarse hay may be okay for a full size horse with bigger inside parts, but not so much for a mini who's insides are 1/5th the dimensions
  • The birth sacks can be much tougher for mini foals to get out of than full size foals

A few things I have noticed after many years with big horses and a few years with minis:

(Mostly personality traits)

A big horse will assume you know how to clean a stall and won't feel that he has to "help" you. The minis want to help with everything.

A mini is more likely (in my experience) than a big horse to rear as a way to deal with stress or fear. Like when the vet is treating them. (I don't think this one is necessarily owner handling).

Minis seem to be a bit more trusting. Have you ever seen a big horse walk over a teeter-totter bridge?

Targetsmom-
default_new_rofl.gif

I think the minis do go up faster than most of their larger counterparts although that's probably because they are both short and smart. Too short to see over the stall doors, and smart enough to reason out that if they rear they will be able to see out or reach that enticing thing! And once something is a part of your regularly used muscle memory, well, it's going to be your first response when something scares you. Kody's definitely that way- he once levitated up to the height of my head from a standstill and then launched forward over the vet's shoulder to get out of the corner!
default_new_shocked.gif

I have actually seen a big horse do the teeter-totter though. It used to be a regular trail obstacle, especially at stock horse shows.
default_wink.png

Leia

Minis seem to be a bit more trusting. Have you ever seen a big horse walk over a teeter-totter bridge?
Yes, I have and I was amazed but I know what you mean that the minis will do it more often and more willing.

This varies from horse-to-horse, but I have noticed that my minis, anyway, are more sensitive to sedation than the average full sized horse. My equine dentist (also a vet) pulls the sedative into the syringe, then squirts out all but what is in the needle. That's "just right" for my one guy, and he's easily 300 pounds. Anything more, and I have a very long recovery time to plan for.

Personality/temperament-wise, I've noticed that in general, minis don't have as high of a panic response as the average full sized horse. As an example, with round pen panels, most horses will figure out how to turn their heads sideways to get them through the bars, but frequently will panic when they go to remove their heads, and set back first, BEFORE the attempt to reverse their earlier actions. I've seen the minis do the same thing countless times, and they NEVER have the panic reaction. Maybe they're just more clever?

This varies from horse-to-horse, but I have noticed that my minis, anyway, are more sensitive to sedation than the average full sized horse. My equine dentist (also a vet) pulls the sedative into the syringe, then squirts out all but what is in the needle. That's "just right" for my one guy, and he's easily 300 pounds. Anything more, and I have a very long recovery time to plan for.

Personality/temperament-wise, I've noticed that in general, minis don't have as high of a panic response as the average full sized horse. As an example, with round pen panels, most horses will figure out how to turn their heads sideways to get them through the bars, but frequently will panic when they go to remove their heads, and set back first, BEFORE the attempt to reverse their earlier actions. I've seen the minis do the same thing countless times, and they NEVER have the panic reaction. Maybe they're just more clever?
I have also found this to be true, both instances.

My mini stallion is very sensitive to sedatives, he's 300#; we gave him about half the dose my 350# mare gets and he was still extra loopy.

My minis always put their heads through the panel bars, but have no problems removing them safely, the bigs do sometimes panic about it.

my own experience.

Big horses ( some) are so head shy or panic easily.

My mini is a dead head( I dont mean dumb) he is just so calm, he doesnt spook where my biggee does Big time compared!

My mini is so loving and puts his nose right up for a kiss as soon as I walk in the barn!

My biggee is stingy with his love, it is on his terms! Which means he MIGHT let you kiss his nose or he MIGHT NOT!

My biggee stands back and watches you clean his messes up , my mini is VERY Helpful!!

I dont want to favor my mini over my biggee, but when he is so easy to give love and he gives back to you, I mean how can you not!

I love my biggee too but he is just harder to show affection too...

From the performance side of things:

-Minis sweat less than large horses in the same conditions.
I have noticed this too with my mini - she handles the very hot weather here with no drama and is happy and keen to work even when I'm about to pass out. My big gelding hides under the trees and sweats just standing in his yard, let alone trying to work him.

On the physical side of things:

-Minis seem to have exactly as much hair as their larger counterparts, just crammed into a much smaller space.
default_wacko.png
Makes for majorly fluffy manes and tails as well as those infamous fur suits!

Leia
Absolutely! And it grows so fast. I would pull Chilli's mane and trim the bottom of her tail once a month at least and the big horse would be lucky to need a tidy up once in three months. I always think too that minis have the same amount of personality as a big horse but it is just compressed into a smaller package so it's way more noticible!
default_yes.gif

Back