Desensitizing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaming of Minis

Reaction score
How do you desensitize your horses? I got a mini stallion (soon to be gelded lol) this fall and he was only used for teasing mares and had little handling. He is really good for the little handing he has had; you can pick his feet up and clean them, lead him, check him over, ect. The basic. He can be a bit flinchy though and I was wondering what you guys do to get them real desensitize. I would really appreciate suggestions and how you go about it.

Thanks,

Stephanie :bgrin

Parelli's 7 games would be a good place to start.

I have a whole ream of stuff I do,,, but would have to wait until I am back on my computer to post it.

I use a whip - not to hit them with of course
default_rolleyes.gif
: but to stroke them all over starting at the shoulder and then moving over their whole body. Then I use a rope to flick at them and then I use a ball in the round pen. If you have never done this though I would advise having an experienced person help you with it or hire a trainer. You could make him worse if you don't do it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
MiLo Minis with the whip I was watch something similar to what you were saying but they had a bandanna on the end (it was for big horses) and they were touching the horse all over while on top of a fence so the horse got used to them being above them and being touch while they are up there. Obviously you did not mean being above them but I understand what you meant.
default_yes.gif
:

But for the ball do you just leave it out in the pen or do you do something with it?

Thanks everyone :bgrin ,

Stephanie

I use a rag or plastic bag on the whip end and touch them all over. You use the same technique with the ball as with the whip working as close to the horse as possible and backing off at the tense spot. Just roll the ball around and past the horse until you can gently roll it against their legs and they don't get upset.

It isn't as simple as it appears when you are watching someone do it - you need to use a lot of patience and know when you need to back off - you have to watch the horse carefully for any signs of fear or resistance. Once again - if you have never done it please enlist the help of a knowledgeable trainer.

It's what the "ole timers" used to call "sacking out".......primarily because they used an old feed sack to do exactly what is being suggested with the whip/stick and baggie.

I usually start any I have like this in a stall. I hold the halter with my left hand and begin to touch all over, rub, etc. with my right. You can stay close and maniupulte them in a smaller space. Once they accept that this is going to happen and not hurt or challenge them, they begin to calm and accept. I normally then add the brush or shedding blade to the routine. It gives them similar toleration and also adds a pleasureable phase to it with the grooming. Then, I move to a larger area and extend the same type of exposure to such "stuff" as the bags, and so on.

Takes time, patience and continual effort. But, works!

Karla you are a BAD person
default_yes.gif
: :lol:

All the above + one vital ingredient I know everyone here uses.....LOVE.

Sometimes that alone is enough.

Oh, and talk to him.

TELL him you love him and you are going to look after him and he will have a very good life from now on.

Externalise your feelings!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I do the Parelli 7 games with all mine. When I bring one with me to work so we can work at liberty in the indoor arena all the big horse people (hunter/jumpers) are amazed that they just stand there at umbrellas flapping, walking over tarps and walking over with me to check out anything scary. One Thoroughbred that was very uptight anyway broke his crossties and ran out the barn when I had a flapping bag under Justin's belly while Justin just stood there!
default_smile.png
THe games are a lot of fun
default_smile.png

Tammie

That is called throwing a horse and is a very aggressive form of domination usually reserved for none but the most aggressive horses. If you have gradually worked up to that level of submission it is not quite so aggressive but it isn't something I would use first.

But lying down is not for every one
default_yes.gif
:

MiLo, are you talking to me? I spend WEEKS teaching what I do, and my horses are never 'thrown' they do it when they are ready. I train with treats, Not pain or intimidation! What I do is less harmful then backing(breaking) a horse! I WOULD teach lying down to all my minis. I stand by what I do. I don't harm my miniatures.

Thank you everyone with the suggestion!
default_yes.gif
: I will watch the Parelli 7 games today (I borrowed it from our neighbors). Thanks again.

Stephanie

Latest posts

Back