death of a great little mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletandlacy

Reaction score
I am not a regular visitor to the forum but after what happened I feel I need to voice my opionion. I bought a beautiful mini stallion a medicine hat paint named Bullet 29 inches and perfectly built. He did extremely well in all the local shows but with my work schedule I was not able to show in any big shows. Not on my best judgement I sold him to a lady that wanted a new herd sire and who promised to show him started this coming spring. Well little did I know she only has electric fencing. Bullet got out of the electric fencing and in with her big horses and got kicked. Two days later he died. Please don't keep mini's with or next to big horses if you don't have sufficient fencing. These little guys don't realize how small they are. Also if you are selling a family pet, it pays to check where they are going had I went and visited her farm I would've had second thoughts on selling him. Thank you

no.gif

I am so sorry for his loss.

I do believe this is a great example, it only takes a minute and it only takes one time!

Thank you for shaing and I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Thanks for caring, it is sad but if could've been avoided. So many people in our state purchase minis and tie them in the backyard or put them out with the big horses and they are forgotten. The last auction I went too lots of skittish thin registerd minis came thru and went for 75 and 80 dollars and you have to wonder where they have been and where they are going to end up. Their are two little minis not far from me that are rode by teenagers, even thought the kids feet drag the ground. I have taken all of mini horse magazines down there and printed off articles to try and let them know it is not healthy for their minis to be treated that way but to no avail. I wish there was a way to better educate people about caring for minis. I never thought I was selling my mini to someone like that I thought she was a responsible breeder

I am so sorry for your loss.....and thank you so very much for posting!

We recently had this discussion AGAIN a week ago about mixing minis with bigs. The next time someone posts this inquiry, may they be referred to this thread!

Again, my sympathies and thank you for sharing.

Thank you for coming to the forum and sharing this heart wenching story. Please accept my condolences for your loss.

This is why I have had a horse for sale for a year. I just am overwhelmed with paranoia about where my horse will end up when she leave here and if she leaves. She'll sit here until that perfect new owner shows up and won't leave a minute before.

I have said it a million times and I'll say it again that a strand or two of hot wire is simply not enough period. That is not fencing. They get loose in the roads, crawl under it and go through it and if anyone doesn't think it will ever happen to them, just wait long enough and it eventually will. Flame me if you must, but that' is my opinon which I am entitled to.

As far as big horses in with minis, not a chance.

As for people riding them, sorry to say that they don't want your educational information, they just want to get out there and cut the fool. Very very sad.

I am so sorry for your loss....

NO FLAMES PLEASE:(my opinion)

But I truly beleive it depends on the *BIG* horse.....I happen to have a gelding that I pasture with my miniatures, he has been in with miniatures since we bought him, we have had him 8 years, and does very well with them, from weanlings to the stallions. He in fact would be lost without his little buddies, BUT I do realize it all depends on the *BIG* horse.

Dear bulletandlacy,

Sending you my condolences with your loss of your little stallion. Yes, it was something that could have been avoided and hopefully someone will read your post and learn from it.

Blessings,

MA

One of my childhood ponies accidently got under a wood fence and in with the big horses and got kicked. The result was a severely broken leg and she had to be destroyed. Not one of my fondest childhood memories and I don't care how many people say that they turn their minis out with big horses and their fine...it takes ONE kick! I will never, ever intentionally put a mini in with a big horse and take that chance!

As for adequate fencing, I agree with Marty, little strands of electric aren't enough. A local woman would turn her big horses out with one strand of electric and then turn them out with winter blankets on so they wouldn't even feel the fence when they leaned on it and then they were out. This had happened more than once and it had been explained to her why this was happening but she didn't listen and her 10 year old daughter's horse got out on the highway and got hit by a car. I saw that horse and I won't go into details but it was absolutely sickening and I will never use anything but the best fence.

There are enough things that can go wrong when you own horses without taking unneccesary chances.

What a treagedy. Guess Carl was right about "no chances" when he built 6 ft fence all round. Even our two stalls are divided all the wat up with see through panels of fence and they can see but not touch;)

We sure learn a lot of lessons on here don't we? My sympathies. Maxine

[SIZE=14pt]I am with Ks Cowgirl depends on the "big" horse. I have a 6 month old Quarter colt with mine and he is BULLIED by the little ones. I have to protect him. If he showed the least bit of agression to them you bet your bootie he would be taken out. [/SIZE]

April

Sorry for the loss of the little guy it does and can happen where big horses are. l tell everyone no they can't be kept with them when l'm asked and others say l'm full of s?it.

Big or little can get hurt when there is more than one horse together. I would never put my minis and full-size together.

When I got married a few years ago, I moved my three full-size horses (2 mares and a senior gelding) to my husband's ranch, where he has two full-size horses (gelding and young mare). My two mares were in a corral, as they were bred and I didn't want them out. So, my gelding and his two horses were out together... his mare kicked my gelding and left a huge hematoma on the side of his belly (can't imagine what would have happened to a mini with a kick like that - know it was the mare, as it would be too much effort for the gelding to lift his left high enough to kick). We had to doctor him for several weeks (mostly DMSO for the swelling) while the swelling went down (I really didn't want to try to drain it as the old guy was 20 at the time and I didn't want to subject him to that). We have since built my senior gelding his own corral, he can see everyone else, but isn't subjected to their rough housing; in the summer, I open the gate and he has free-roam of the "backyard" (10 or so acres behind the house and buildings) during the day; this summer he spent most of the time along the minis' fence, keeping company with them.

So sorry for your loss. People just dont get it do they? Even when its said over and over again. Yes all is fine and dandy till one day an accidental kick, not even intentionally and they are dead. Seen it happen but like I posted before the mare is only blind.
no.gif
Once again so sorry.

So sad!

Thanks for posting it is a good warning.

I have been busy replacing all my electric fencing with wooden fencing because it just makes me feel more comfortable. I would never trust a little old electric fence to stop a stallion, because a male on a mission needs a hefty fence.

That is a horrible thing for you, poor little guy.
no.gif

I am sorry to read this and send condolences to you and the new owner.

It's good to report this and I know it happens as there was a case in CT a few years ago and it can happen.

Joyce

For those of you who put your minis with your full size horses, it has nothing to do with wether the full size horse is gentle or not, an accident is an accident, what if they decided to start playing and your full size horse in fun decided to kick out. It takes one second and that's it. It is not worth taking the chance, at least not in my books.

Danielle you beat me to it!! Why ON EARTH would people keep putting up the defence "It depends on the horse"??? Do you think we are saying your horses have bad temperaments, and you have to defend them?? It's YOU we think are nuts, not the horse. We NEVER blame the horse!!
smile.gif

Rabbit has a perfect temperament. He is 26 years old and was born a gentleman. When handles by a child (which he has only ever been for fun, at home, with me also holding the rein) he will walk past a mare in full season and NEVER say a word. Not even look. NOW....exactly WHAT would you think of me if I shoved him in a Youth class (ignoring the rules) with a four year old leading him??? I could point out that he just won the class, I could point out that his manners were perfect form start to finish, I could point out that no-one had even sussed he was a stallion. Would you say"Oh that's alright then??" NO WAY. You would, quite rightly, having a screaming fit about how I had, potentially, put your children at risk by putting them in a potentiallydangerous position. "But nothing happened" I would wail. "Nothing has ever happened" I would defend. "He has been in Youth classes for sixteen years and nothing has ever happened" Not unreasonably you would point out that I had got away with breaking the rules for sixteen years.

That is all.

That is all you ever do.

You get away with it.

It does NOT depend on the horse. It is SO unfair for ANYTHING to depend on the horse.

This little horse did not get away with it.

He paid for his owners stupidity with his life.

I am absolutely CERTAIN she would tell you "They have never done anything like that before"!!!!!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back