Day 336 Mare Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetiki

Reaction score
first off, I have a call into the vet, waiting for a call back, yesterday I could do anything with her tail that I wanted to, today she can hardly lift it to poo. I have inspected her tail and it seems to be really painful for her to lift it. She's a driving horse and this is her 3 foal, she's 7 so she's familiar with her tail being messed with, its not that she doesn't want me to, she acts like it hurts. Has anyone seen or had experience with this before? Could baby be malpositioned and causing her pain?

Karen

Hope you've had a response from the vet by now.........

I've never had a mare show "pain" from the tail being lifted, as you describe. However, a mare at the very end of gestation will lose muscle control back there. You should also notice a relaxation or sag of her vulva.

The loss of muscle I refer to as our mares having a "jello butt" -- which is basically how things feel and jiggle back there just before foaling........

MA

vet is being a problem today, I left a message this AM and he hasn't returned my call, his voice mail is full and so I can't leave another message. I really hope nothing has happened to him.

She's been loose with no tail resistance, until this AM, her vulva area is all swollen and saggy, it opens a bit when she lays down. She does have jello butt in the hindquarter muscles.

Try to lift the tail much more than an inch or so from her backside and she pins her ears and walks forward and kind of hunches down like it hurts. I'm not sure what the deal is. She seems fine otherwise, eating, no temp, respirations are up a bit but they have been up for a few days. She groans when she's laying down.

Karen

I am really hoping thats what it is, I am giving her an oily bran mash for dinner to see if that helps her at all to see if its just a slight tummy ache due to the weather changes. If he doesn't call me back tonight I am calling a different vet tomorrow.

Karen

How's she doing now?

Maybe she jsut does NOT want you to mess with it? My preggy mare is pretty grumpy with me lately, does NOT want to be messed with... puts up with it ok, as long as I leave her head alone, but still... hope that's all it is for you!
default_smile.png

Jessi

She seems to be a bit better now. But she's standing a bit stretched and has been yawning and laying down and pawing while laying down. I checked on her a bit ago when she was laying down and her tail was back to being Jello with no pain response so I think baby was hitting a nerve yesterday.

Hopefully she'll have baby today
default_smile.png

Thanks Everyone.

Karen

Latest posts

Back