Darla's official foaling thread.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep keeping us updated on Darla!

I watch K9 cops and all those animal cruelty shows. I worked in animal hospitals and my husband suggested I get into the cruelty investigation and I don't know if I could do it. It seems to be so emotionally draining and frustrating. I commend you for what you do!

Well it sure sounds like she is progressing fast now
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Fingers crossed she doesnt keep you waiting too much longer.

Its funny isnt it - the sweetest mares can become such grumps at foaling time. And the mares that are normally not too affectionate can become total sooks
default_wub.png

Keep us posted! I sure wish she was on marestare so we could watch
default_new_shocked.gif

I wish that I had her on marestare too!!

Megan you should see if your local cruelty investigator would let you do a ride along! It's not really what you see on those k9 cop shows. One of the biggest aggravations is that for every 10 calls that I go on there may be 1-2 that are actually situations that warrant a call. I had a lady call last week because she drives by a pasture all the time and "those poor horses just stand out there all day long with no shelter" So I go check it out and she failed to mention the giant barn adjacent to the pasture. It turned out to be a boarding stable where they turn the horses out for 2 hours a day, but they do it in groups of several horses at a time. So yes there are horses outside all day, but it its different horses. I had a man call yesterday because he let his great dane outside to potty and it wondered down to the neighbors house where there was a female dog in heat. Another dog jumped on his dog and beat him up while he was there.....and he wanted to know what I was going to do about it!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
Then there was the call last week where some people "moved away and abandoned their dogs on chains". Upon talking to some other neighbors I found out that the people had just moved that morning, and carried their other dogs with them but didnt have room in the car at the time so they planned to come back and get them the next morning. I get lots of crazy calls like that! It's a good thing that these calls aren't really bad situations, but its also a waste of my time.(and i dont have much time to waste!) My county is pretty big and it takes nearly 2 hours to drive from one end to the other...so when i get silly calls on opposite ends of the county it wastes an entire day. But then I get the big bad calls and when I get there really wish that they had been a hoax...llike the pit bull fighting ring that I busted last month (22 pitts) or the puppy mill that i busted last year (217 dogs). Overall its not a bad job, especially when I am able to help animals out of a bad situation, or educate owners on proper pet care and maintanance!

she keeps going flat to sternal back to flat. Not much belly nudging lately. I think i am going to take a nap for an hour and check her again. Will keep yall updated!

Jess, if you ever need to talk let me know, I am a animal control officer down in Louisiana. Good luck to a healthy and textbook delivery. I have a Clydesdale that I love dearly, he is gelded so I won't experience the baby thing yet. I have done it many times and knock on wood I never had a problem

we are watching and waiting for more updates, but hope you get some sleep! Darla, wait for your mummy to wake up ok!!

is hubby home Jess? can he watch her for a bit while you sleep??
default_wink.png

Thanks jjnov.

No foal yet. Still down sternal. She seems to be resting peacefully for now....gonna try to catch a little more sleep and check again in an hour!

oh Jenny please do put your girl up on Marestare!! would love to see the foal be born!

and Kara it is totally worth it!! use the excuse that you don't want a cranky wife do you hubby? lol

marestare is THE BEST!! don't know what I would do without it !!
wacko.gif
lol

default_saludando.gif
How hard is it to put marestare on and how do thay do it

Lucky Lodge - its not hard.
default_smile.png

If you have a camera that can plug into your tv, then you just need to get a connection to plug it into the computer instead (usb), and then the rest is downloads. Heather or Rich at Marestare can remote in to your computer and set it all up for you! Worth its weight in gold! I LOVE marestare
default_yes.gif
Wouldnt be without it. I've had it for about 4 years now, and its the best
default_biggrin.png

STILL no foal! I fed Darla a few minutes ago. I will go out and get new pics and test her milk in a few!

Still no change in the ph!!!! Her udder is so full now that when she stands up straight it squishes the udder together and makes a creast down the center. There was a little bit of waxing on one teat this morning.

19-1.jpg

19-2.jpg

Jess, That makes sense that the show isnt true to the job. I never thought of a ride along. I know it must feel great when justice is served and animals are saved. There was a pit puppy that was in my hospital almost 2 years ago that I fell in love with. Her ears stick straight up like my mutt we rescued from the kill shelter. When she would come in I would take her room so I could work with her. I have the local county shelter on my Facebook and around Christmas last year they posted a picture of a a pit needing a forever home and it was HER. I knew right away and when I went to read her bio I was right.. they kept her name the same. So I went to the shelter and would visit her. Turned out her owner had trained her to fight then moved and just left her. She could not be around any other dog.. she would immediately 'get ready'. She was a total sweetheart with people but just couldn't be around dogs.. so we couldn't take her. She took forever to get adopted but finally did this past spring. I cried when they announced and there were many people who loved her and were so happy to hear. I was so mad because I had met the owner (an almost 30 year old guy) and the hospital I worked at was an expensive one.. so we didn't think about the patients being abused that often.
no.gif

Darla's bag made such a drastic change so fast! Do some mares bags fill extra quick right before labor? I can't get over the change!

Not much longer then you can leave the sleepless nights to mum!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I slept like a log a couple of days after Dinky was born and have made up for all those sleepless nights ever sinse
default_biggrin.png
its very tiring waiting for a foal eh
default_yes.gif

The siezed horses are officially "mine" now. The previous owner worked out an agreement that included him surrendering the horses. So I am posting a pic of "Sidewinder" (we are seriously gonna have to think of a better name for this sweet girl). And Red. I am going home to check on D in a bit...will update then!

ps..i wormed them yesterday and today spent half the morning cleaning up their 50million poops. It's amazing how quickly you get accustomed to tiny little mini poops, this stuff looked like king kong poo!! The mare is a big horse...probably about 16hands or so.

081811145733.jpg

081811093338.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back