Darla's official foaling thread.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She definitely has been up a lot more then before the meds. SO glad for that!

I am praying for your MIL and family, Jess. Hope she is more comfortable now.

I added more pics and a video of little Ricky today on his thread
default_smile.png
I have to come up with his registered name! blah!

darla's milk this afternoon (since she has been leaking some the vet advised to go ahead and freeze some just in case) the color isnt great in the pics. It isnt bright white or yellow, but kind of an off white (but closer to white)

col1.jpg

colostrum.jpg

Hi Jess, just doing some catching up on this thread.

I am SO sorry to hear about your MIL. I pray she is comfortable and feeling better again now that she is home. It would be awful to watch someone go through that. Sounds like she is an incredibly strong and inspirational woman, and has beaten the odds so far!!

Wow, Darlas milk looks like its straight from a cow in those photos LOL

Has the pH started to drop again yet?

And has she filled back up again to be leaking?

I think its wize that you are freezing some to give the foal. If she is leaking a lot then its best to have it on hand, as she may have lost all the "good stuff" once bubs arrives.

Sounds like Darla is a lot more comfortable now. You must be so relieved. The pain killers are doing the trick by the sound of it.

I do hope she foals soon. It will take some extra pressure off those sore feet, and keep her mind off them too ofcourse, with her new little bundle to love
default_wub.png

Thanks Renee. I just checked her milk again and it is STILL at 7.8! We really think that with all of the up and down she was doing that she probably just expressed some of her milk. I only saw a couple of drops of milk on her teats, but several times i saw dried milk on her back legs. Her udder also looked slightly smaller. But in the last several days her milk has gotten VERY white! So we decided to freeze some just in case she did leak more. Thanks everyone for watching!

Oh ok. Im glad she isnt leaking too much then. That stuff is too precious to be all over her legs!!
default_biggrin.png
lol

White milk is a good sign, SURELY that pH will drop soon and she can get down to business!!

I see her hoohar is relaxing (i think i saw that in a post a page or two back???). Hows her butt? Softening around the tail head too? I have a few mares that clam up when i poke at their rear ends, so i get a brush and brush it and run it fairly quickly down the curve past the tail and down the back of the leg, and watch it all wobble away behind the brush LOL

C'mon miss Darla!!
default_yes.gif

Thats really good advice Renee
default_wink.png
I'm going to try it on Suz LOL darla comfortable. nothing really to report lol hope your sleeping Jess

Haven't posted much, but I've been watching your girl off and on. We had a mare down with an abscess a couple of years ago (long story, she'd had surgery on her other hind, was crippled, and the abscess just put her on the ground). Vet had her on antibiotics, pain relief, you name it for weeks and nothing helped. I found something called Thrush Off - look up www.well-horse.com for info. I emailed the company and the farrier who produces it actually called me. It's very different than the normal thrush remedies. Per his directions, we mixed it with sugar & gauze strips, packed her foot and wrapped it for a short time, several days in a row. Within a couple of days she was walking again and never looked back. It's all natural, not caustic and should be fine for a pregnant mare. It literally saved my mare's life. Sure worth a try if you are dealing with abscesses.

Jan

Thanks Jan! She is on banamine and antibiotics, but still waiting to see if it helps.
default_new_shocked.gif

We did the banamine/bute and antibiotics too, and were just so frustrated to see no real improvement. I had to order the Thrush Off, didn't find it locally but it's a good thing to have on hand. Valley Vet and HorseHealth USA both carry it. And I know it's for thrush
default_smile.png
but it sure worked on her abscess.

Jan

I have some thrush stuff, but i dont think it is that kind..i think i have the abosorbine kind. I will look it up!

I don't know if this is really "far fetched" but is it possible that on top of the painful frogs, and uncomfortable pregos that she maybe is just antsy to get out of the stall? Jess you mentioned before that she likes to get out. ???? I have a mare and a filly (mother and daughter, imagine that!
default_biggrin.png
) That both hate to be stalled by themselves, dont know what I am going to do next year for babies and marestare for her! The mare is the one that lost her filly at birth a few weeks ago
default_sad.png
. (which is why I am so CRAZY
default_wacko.png
with Stormy.

Anyways, They pace around, and get fidgety so much in the stall...... Just a thought??????
default_unsure.png

Jess, Does she act the same way in her pasture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope...in the pasture she is really laid back. She just slowly ambles around grazing with the occasional stop to lay down for a bit and rest. I hate stalling her all day, but i think it is best for her feet right now and with my mother in law being so sick my father in law cant run by the house and check on her for me every hour or so. Poor girl..maybe it will all be better for her soon!

Sorry everyone..D is in for the night now. My mother in law is not doing well at all. I will probably be at their house all night. It is less than 5minutes away. I cant watch the camera from there but can check updates. If she looks serious please call or text. Thanks jess

Sorry everyone..D is in for the night now. My mother in law is not doing well at all. I will probably be at their house all night. It is less than 5minutes away. I cant watch the camera from there but can check updates. If she looks serious please call or text. Thanks jess
So sorry Jess, prayers headed your way.Darla looks nice and settled in, and is eating her dinner.

I am home now. Gave her some banamine, she seemed to be having some pain from foot. I am going to try to sleep for a while, but will check back in a bit. We are setting up hospice for my mother in law tomorrow, so it will be a long day.

thanks for watching everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back