Darla's official foaling thread.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a bit of research too and it looks like "stringy" milk could be what comes before colostrum

" Waxing most often occurs 24 to 48 hours before foaling, and is that process in which a variable-sized, horn-colored waxy substance forms at the end of each teat. The waxy substance remains for 12 to 24 hours, then softens and falls away in a viscous stringy form. Then milk (colostrum) begins to drip from the teats.

Here is the link to the whole article:

http://www.twhbea.com/voice/HowTo/guideToFoaling.htm

Great Work Detective Renee
default_aktion033.gif

I need to read the article now!

I read that link and it is very interesting. My vet friend was busy, but I left a message to call me back. Her udder isnt hot or hard, so hopefully it isnt mastits. I hope it is colostrum! I am ready for a baby! I read somewhere else before about the colostrum being very stringy, but cant find the link!

This is what I saw before.... just wish there were pics to compare!

To check the consistency, take your other hand's index finger and dip it in the milk. Press your thumb to the milk on your index finger to see if it is tacky or stringy (leaves a string between the two fingers when you pull them apart.)

Colostrum is a milky color, very sweet and very sticky and stringy. (Not necessarily thick. I’ve had some mares have a gel type milk that is very thick, but it is not colostrum.) The first time that you taste colostrum, you will notice the sweetness and it will stand out in your mind. The mare will probably foal within 48 hours from the time she produces the colostrum.

http://www.equestriandays.com/testing-mares-milk.shtml

Interesting articles - both of them. But I think you need to get your vet friend out to give her the once over anyway - would set your mind at rest. Also you could get a sample of her dung sent off to be tested to tell you exactly how she stands for worms. I dont think you should try worming her again this close to her foaling, but a dose of ivermectin within a few hours of foaling will help and also protect the foal from gaining worms from her milk. Dont, whatever your vet says, use Quest wormer on her.

Good luck and please tell us what the vet says, should you decide to call him/her.
default_yes.gif

Hi Everyone! I'm sorry it took me so long to post! I had an allergic reaction yesterday (not sure what to, i am allergic to everything!) and zonked out on benadryl for a while. Then when I woke up my phone was dead. I did spend half the night watching for a foal though! Still no spotted baby, but she sure acted like it all night! She was up and down all night. Lots of yawning, belly nudging, pacing, and just being uncomfortable. I talked to the vet. Her milk hasnt looked like that again and she has no other symptoms, so he's doesnt think mastitis would be the problem. He is gonna come by and look at her for me tho. I am gonna post pics of her milk from this morning. It has gotten thicker. I milked her into a black cup and it looked white and then I transfered some to a white cup and it looked yellow? I only got a few pics because i slept late and was in a rush! They are mostly of her udder/ milk/ vulva. Ya'll let me know what you think (be honest it wont hurt my feelings) does she look ready?

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

Its hard to know especially as she is so neat but she could go anytime. Did you test the milk?

Hopefully the vet can give you a better idea when he sees her.

i did test the milk. calcium is still high enough, ph has dropped some, but still too high. this is my first time using test strips. when the ph starts dropping does it do it quickly or over a few days or does it vary from mare to mare? Also i dont think that i have mentioned on this thread that she is a little bigger girl. She is 36in.

Good luck..make sure the camera is charged n ready to go (i forgot)..im sure the filly fairy will be heading your way soon
default_yes.gif

I know that you cant go on milk color alone...but her milk looks so ready!!! Maybe the ph will drop quickly...i dont remember the # it is now.... 7.something (i just look at the colors) And her udder in the area where her teats are was already pretty well developed, but it has filled out in front and behind alot more in just the last few days. I am going to check on her in a few minutes!

Its a real worry all the waiting and wondering and theyr all so different..i took a picture of my mares udder to show everyone here see what they thought she had the baby 3 hours later

263219_2133961083083_1667744376_2179737_5066302_n.jpg

wow! what an udder! thanks for the pic lindy. just curious is this a maiden mare or has she foaled before?

Shes foaled before once with me not sure if she had any before that.. I dont think so from what i could find out from her previous owners..she had a large udder last time too and filled up about 4 weeks before she foaled

I think her Hooha has a bit to go yet, maybe a couple of days yet. My mare followed the rules on the milk strips and dropped from 7,0 over 10 days and when she got to 6,0 she foaled a few hours later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think she looks quite ready to foal yet (of course this doesn't mean that she wont foal any minute!LOL!!), but you are quite right, she has lost weight. You need to go and get a good quality mare and foal feed and start her on it right away. She could be a mare who is going to put her 'all' into her foal - losing weight in the last few weeks as she 'feeds/puts everything' into her growing foal, and once she foals, she may well continue this via her milk supply - meaning she will lose more weight unless she is well supplimented with extra rations herself. I know you said you had plenty of grass, but it may not be of the 'quality' to support her during these last few weeks.

You are doing really well managing to keep a watch on her, particularly at nights. I think that all her 'antics' (butt rubbing, biting her sides etc) may be because she is trying to get the foal into the right position - a lot of mares behave like this close to foaling.

It will be good for your vet friend to have a look at her, then he/she will be ready for your call as she foals if needed. Keep that mobile fully charged at all times - you will not have time to run for a house phone! Is there someone willing to 'rush' to your side if it looks as though she's going to foal. It ALWAYS helps to have a second person there, even just for moral support!

Good luck - dont forget to let us know what your vet friend says.
default_yes.gif

her "hooha" looks looser when she is standing in the pasture swatting flies...she doesnt like me to lift her taill and tightens up when i do
default_rolleyes.gif
. i wish i could get a good pic of it when she has it relaxed! i think that i may have found her original owner! I tried to call them. Im gonna see if they have any idea about when she may have been bred. (the person i got her from only had her for about 3months) I'm not super optomistic that they will know. The person that i got her from just said that she was running with a leopard app when he got her. Lindy - i finally made it back to my office so i can see your pic better. I don't know how to phrase this in horse terms so I will put it in goat terms (cause thats what i know) your mare has really awesome side attachments on her udder! Darla's udder seems to be more pendulous (sp?). When your mare started bagging up was it always wide like that or did it start out pendulous then get wider and more tucked up as it filled? does that question make sense? Thanks for everyone's help! Yall are amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back