Dapples on horses share

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey I see this weekend my buckskin mare has alot of dapples that didn't show up before.

What causes the dapples?Is this a pattern?Her dam is silver dapple and sire is cremello.

GetAttachment2.jpg

Feed and genetics will do it. Copra, livamol and Lucerne will do it, all darkening feeds. Or it could just be in her genes
default_smile.png

Dapples, if a horse can get them, genetically, are a product of good health and sun
default_smile.png
. Most dapples fade in the Winter months and are fully expressed in the Summer. It's always been a big pet peeve of mine when people refer to silver blacks as silver dapples; like a dappled grey horse, the term "dapple" is just a modifying description; my silver black was devoid of dapples until the Spring/Summer. So, she could have been called a dappled silver or dappled silver black
default_smile.png
. II also had a bay Thoroughbred that was dull in the winter but had the most amazing dapples in the Summer. He was a bay, not a bay dapple ;). Just a bay with dapples in the summer...or a dappled bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Haflinger/QH who is sorrel-palomino-ish and he gets dapples in the summer.

Latest posts

Back