Curly Coat Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I got a rescue foal today who has a curly coat, like he other foals born recently. She is 1/2 mini, 1/2 pony. I am wondering where she got it as her sire and dam are not curly. I guess it can be hidden? I am also wondering will her mane turn out curly also? I will post pictures in the am when I am able to get out my cam.

I've seen lots if mini and pony foals with curly coats and hair... One of the Andalusian foals at my barn had a super wavy coat...

There is a curly horse gene... You may have to wait to see if the coat grows back in curly after it sheds out to know though. Most foals grow normal hair once the foal coat sheds.

If its just curly mane and tail, well that's just the horse. I've seen lots of horses whose manes and tails like to turn to curly dreads
default_smile.png

If you could post pictures of her ears that would help identify if shes actually curly or if its the typical curly wavy coat of a miniature foal.

If her mane is not already curly shes not a curly. Her ear hair and mane must be curly at birth to be considered curly and to display and have the hyperallergenic properties that the Curly Horses are known for.

This foal is less than 5 hours old. You can see the clear curls of her ears and mane. They will only tighten more.

IMG_8580.jpg

This is how tight the curl gets on an older horse.

IMG_7855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the pictures her ears and mane look smooth/straight. Which means chances are her body will smooth out with time. And probably not have hypoallergenic properties.

I think your right. I think now its her foal coat, the front of her is smooth. Thank you for answering my questions. It very interesting this curly coats
default_smile.png

Your very welcome. The curlies being so small is new. The breeders have been working on breeding them down to Small Pony and Miniature heights.

Since posting pictures of my two foals who are curly its raised a lot of questions about them and their coat properties.

There are even people who actually spin the hair (which is more like fiber) into wool.

Latest posts

Back