Curious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
I am looking at buying another horse. But am considering buying it over the internet and either going to pick it up or having it hauled here. I guess what I'm wondering is what kind of questions should I be asking the breeder/seller? Also is there any helpful hints on how to tell if the seller is being competely honest or dishonest with you? The horses we now have were all purchased withing 350 miles from us - so we got to look at them before purchasing. Whereas it is not practical to me to drive/fly over 1000 miles to see a horse then make a decision, especially if I'm going to have to drive this far to pick it up or pay for the shipping of it this far. But yet hate to make a decision and buy one and get something that I don't want or that wasn't represented properly. Anyway am looking forward to some ideas on what I should be asking. Thanks

I will use none of the suggestions or ideas against anyone - so feel free to suggest away!! I am really new to buying something like this from so far away and do need some suggestions here. And if I'm asking for pics what kind of pics should I be asking for other than current pics of the horse I'm asking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought all my horses from out of state and seen one in person before buying.

I ask about personality

i ask how much handling the horse has had

I ask for lots of pictures

I ask for non set up pics to see the horse and what is really like

I let them know what I am looking for in a horse to see if it meets my needs

I ask about paperwork

I ask about bite even after seeing pics.

I ask for pics of sire and dam if they have it.

I ask if there is a personality reason for selling the horse

Then .. if it is someone I dont know I ask around thru PM or my friends if anyone has dealt with the seller if i hear one thing bad i listen to it with a grain of salt could be well could be anything could be on the buyers end not the sellers issue. I take note but dont use it to make a end decision but if i start hearing from more hten one buyer of repeated dishonesty issues or horses that havent been handled and come to them wild and scared then i take notice.

The one question I didn't ask on one and should have is, have there been any illnesses with the horse? Any that could become chronic, such as founder, ulcers, etc....

Ask for referances and check them all out.

I do appreciate the responses. The one I'm looking at - they sent pics of the sire and dam without me asking also sent their pedigree info. Also sent current pics of the colt. There are alot of good ideas for questions here - some I hadn't thought of. Basically I had only been asking on how they are registered as I want at least a AMHA and posibly also AMHR registered. Although if it is registered AMHA I can get it registered R myself - if I am reading the AMHR rules right. The one I like they say they are selling because they have too many colts, which I can understand this. I have asked questions on what they might est the mature height to be, what are the parents mature height, ask about straightness, and bite. There are some questions here that I hadn't thought about asking. But I will ask them some of these questions as these are some really good questions & thoughts.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have, in the past, had a vet or VERY knowing horse friend go look for me and report back. With the vet, I had a list of questions, along with his normal pre-purchase exam. Sometimes, it depends on "how much" the price is for the animals -- and, any contract with specifics, guarantees, etc.

And, a video is always a good thing.

You say "a colt", is he to be gelded? Well, even by you -- it sure does cost more if both jewels are not down
laugh.gif
We've had lots of threads on that.

For the most part I have never had one I bought long distance without personally seeing it be less than I felt it would be -- and haven't had anyone complain once one was sold by me same way. BUT, I've sure had a few long drives to find an animal at the other end that either wasn't the "same one" we talked about or had not been check for quite a while
laugh.gif
References are good if these people are putting enough on the ground to have sold a few.

Back