Curious to know what everyone is paying for hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
I'm just curious to know what hay is going for per bale, around the country. We purchase ours by the ton, beautiful hay, figures out to be approximately $3.00 per bale.

I have heard a few people from the southern states mention that they paid upwards of $15 per bale? :new_shocked:

What do your prices average in your area? Just curious.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Florida hay is very commonly $15+ per 75lb bale... I think we paid 18-20 dollars per bale there. NH was something like $7/bale from the store, $4 from a farmer. Colorado was about the same. Kentucky is a little bit cheaper, but not much.

$2.50-3.50 a small square bale, depending on the kind of hay. Alfalfa I've seen for $4 a small sq. bale. An average large round bale is $20 for average quality grass hay. with the Bermuda and Timothy being on the upper end of the margin.

~Karen

$15-20 per bale, bales average 110 lbs around here. We get alfalfa, bermuda, oat, orchard, and timothy here, with alfalfa and bermuda being cheapest and timothy is regularly over $20 per bale. A 50# bag of pellets is around $7, so that is sometimes the way to go it seems.

Andrea

I pay $4.25 a square bale but it is wonderful hay. This is if I pick it up, or $5.00 in the barn.

During the hay season(July-Sept) it is $4 delivered and $3 if I get it right out of the field.

I am happy just to get it because it is great hay!, no waste!

Hi

In Australia we are going through a very bad drought. Due to the demand, our hay prices are pretty crazy.

For a small bale we are looking at $20-25 and for a round bale around $100.

We pay $200 per ton ( 80lb bales ) for orchard grass, weed free and high in protein. There is some hay here that is cheaper but not near as good of hay.

Hi Bill!

We just got 4 ton from your neck of the woods - sound like the same stuff for $175 a ton. The local feed store in Prineville has "lady bales" (more like 65lbs) for $8 each. Nice hay, though.

MA

Last summer, I bought small squares of grass out of the field for $65/ton (about $2.00/bale, 70# bales); and small squares out of the stack for $75/ton (same farmer, so same size bales). This winter I bought some really nice grass with 10% alfalfa for $4.50/bale about 95-100# bales; would love this hay in 70# bales.

Large rounds go for about $35 each (1200# or so).

We can get hay here starting from $3.00 a bale locally grown on up. Me personally I go down the pike to a farmer who grows their own in their beautiful big hay fields. I get a nice 2nd cut good quality timothy for anywhere from $6.00 to $7.00 a bale....southern NJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just paid 5.50 a square bale, it's very nice soft 2nd cut orchard grass here in NH.

You all are making me sick!!!
default_unsure.png
:

We get very good alfalfa here in central NM for around $5-6 a small square bale.

We get decent fescue hay locally for around $5 per small square.

If you want other than fescue grass, feed stores are the way to go, most range from $12 to $18 for a small square.

We had our grass brough in from out of state the last couple of years, after delivery it was $7.25 a bale for good Bermuda.

Everything will be more this year!!!
default_wacko.png
:

We are in northern< FL ALL OUT OF HAY for the most part at the moment> Desperate people are paying $30+ for Alfalfa.

Luckily we always overstock and still Have Perennial Peanut hay left. It costs us $9 a bale but high quality.

We moved here from Maine and AWSOME Timothy bales were $2.50 a bale.>>>> AHHHH Do I miss that! T&A costs a fortune here.

I have been doing a rain dance for 6 weeks praying the rain will come so everyones pastures will come back :eek:

I have paid the last few years from $90 to $100 a ton for excellent wild grass timothy hay grown right up here in Wyoming on the Hilliard Flats close to me. The bales are about 80 lbs.

Susan O.

I just paid $19.95 today for a large (3 string) bale of alfalfa at one of the feed stores. :no: Hopefully, with the recent rains, maybe our 2 year drought will be over?? Grass hay is now running $10+ at the feed stores.

WOW :new_shocked: Its amazing how the the prices fluctuate depending on the area and also amazing how much some of you have to pay!!!

I am going to be happy with $3.00 for a nice 80lb square bale!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back