Curious to know what everyone is paying for hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East coast of Florida, central, I pay $6.00 bale for coastal grass hay if you can get it. We have a bad shortage and limited to one bale a week. T&A was $18.00 bale last I got but I am not sure if it is still the same. We got 300 new fence post to put up for more pasture. We have 5 acres but I did not know we would need it all. I pray for people that have larger horses and more of them. I don't know what they are doing. My vet told me he buys a barn full every year so he don't have this worry but I don't have the space yet. I only have two minis so I pick my boys each a small amount of fresh grass in the afternoon. My friend next door picks for me when I am sick and can't get out. Thanks for asking it is good to know what everyone else is going through and we are all in it together. FLFlyingW

For good quality alfalfa, 3 string bales weighing 120#-125# each it's $16.95

Timothy in the 3 strings is $22 at the same feedstore and $16.75 for a 3 string of Bermuda

The feed store I normally buy my other feed from has decent Timothy, small bales for $12.75 and the alfalfa that isn't that great, small bales is about the same.

Well I just bought one bale alfalfa and one bale orchard......really nice clean hay roughly 100+ lb bales and I think I paid 28 bucks for the two bales :eek: :eek: yep good hay is spendy in western wa
default_rolleyes.gif
:

In Idaho I paid about 80 a ton for alfalfa/grass and in eastern wa I paid 120 ton for timothy

Last edited by a moderator:
We pay $2.00 an 80 pound bale for the bulk of our hay same farmer has supplied us for several years but he cant supply all we need so we take all of his and another neighbor then kicks in and his are $2.25 and now this time of year we pay $2.50 from a third farmer until we get hay from the first farm in June again we feed hay year round as we dont have alot of pasture.

in s.e. louisiana, its about $10-15 a bale, depending on where you go and what kind u get. Alfalfa is $25-30. Mine is FREE! I have coastal. I work for my board, and hay, I buy my feed, shots, wormers, etc.

For a mostly grass/ alfalfa mix, I pay $5 a bale. Im not sure how much the bales weigh, but they are medium sized I say. I can't believe some of these prizes :new_shocked: :new_shocked: So high.

We're up to $12.00 per 100 lb. (approx.) bale of beautiful, clean Orchard Grass hay. (we're in NW Oregon, we buy through our local feed store which I believe is getting the hay originally from Central OR)

Liz M.

I've been lucky with our hay. I've know the guy we get ours from for a long time, and he sells it to me for 1.75 for a small bale.(About ten yrs ago, he pulled me out of a ditch when someone hogged the road in the snow storm, till this day he still teases me about it. :eek: ) Our hay comes from the field right across the road from me. So, I usually bake cookies or cim. rolls and supply some drinks. Everyone else is out of hay in our area, so I am lucky he is sitting on some for me.. :bgrin

I pay around $6.00 for a 40 lb bale- it is "hay" in this case Meadow Hay which basically means it has been cut off a field similar to mine.

I used to get "seeds" hay which meant it had been seeded and grown as a crop and was identifiable as a certain type of hay but that all goes for Haylage, now, which I am resisting feeding as long as I can.

My supplier will bring it in and store it for me for that price and I get it delivered in 20- 30 bale loads.

This winter I have not used hay, the mares grazed all though the "winter" and I supplemented their diet with grain.

I only gave hay to the stallions- and they ate around 30-40 bales, I would say, maybe more, I can't remember how many I already had.

We have the big bales here (over 100#s) and alfalfa is about $11, and bermuda is about $12. Timothy we don't buy, b/c the places that have it, it's over $20!!!!

Jessi

Here in southwestern Manitoba I've been paying a variety of prices. Was paying $3.35 delivered for 60 lb bales of mostly alfalfa. It was rather coarse alfalfa and just too much for some of our horses. I did a lot of looking for grass hay & didn't come up with much. Have a lead on timothy (65 lb bales) for $4 delivered this year. What I'm feeding now is real nice hay, 30% alfalfa, the rest is mainly brome with a little bit of finer grass mixed in, those are 70-80 lb bales for $4 delivered. No wastage at all, which is a treat.

2 year old grass hay is $2.50 & I have to haul it--it's not good hay but isn't spoiled & they do eat it. Some other grass/alfalfa mix is $2.75 and again, I have to haul it myself. Bales are about 50 lbs--it looks like nice hay but the horses aren't crazy about it & I buy it only if I absolutely have to. I did find some straight grass hay for $2.50 hauled myself or $3.50 delivered, but it wasn't a good deal at all. Some bales were good, others were junk hay & I'm using them for bedding now.

I did haul a few round bales--1000 lb bales at $35 each, but they were strong alfalfa in most cases. The medium square bales (850 lbs.) sell for $40

This year I'm hoping that I can buy some of the 30% alfalfa bales & the timothy bales, all at $4/bale delivered, and there will be no hauling for me to do!

Here I pay $2.75 for a 60lb bale of grass/hay mix or $90/ton stacked and delivered from the same hay guy.

We have 20 bales sitting waiting to be picked up. It's the last of the hay from our supplier. It's $5.50.

Another supplier is $6.00. These are decent size square bales.

Got hay yesterday, bermuda 12.20 a bale.

We're in Tucson AZ

Ouch!! :new_shocked:

My hay is $3 - $3.25 /bale delivered in the barn, grass alfalfa mix. Cannot believe some of those prices! I'm a little nervous though becuase a huge new biofuel plant is being built about 30 miles from here, and those who aren't plowing up their hayfields to plant corn are going to be charging more I'm sure.

Here in Northwestern Ohio i think we are pretty spoiled lol. We just paid $2.25 for 50lb bales of VERY NICE orchord grass. He had pretty crappy Orchord grass for $2.00 a 50lb. I think i'd rather pay the extra $.25 and get my moneys worth.

You can get decent alfalfa for $2.50 for a 50lb bale. I fed alfalfa all winter but am not switching over to orchord grass bc its hard to get alfalfa, our guy doesnt have much left.

I just now got 100 '50lb' bales of orchord grass for $225. After feeding that crappy alfalfa they we have around here i am going back to orchord grass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before we moved, we were paying up to $6.25 per bale (about 65 pound bales) and we had to pick it up and haul it and stack it ourselves.

Here, we are paying only about half that amount for locally grown grass/alfalfa hay of the same quality. We still have to pick it up and haul it and stack it ourselves, but it doesn't take a two-hour round trip to do so anymore. Whew!

This year we will be growing some of our own hay, but will be paying a local farmer to cut and bale it for us so it will cost us maybe fifty cents a bale for that. Sounds like a great deal to me.
default_yes.gif
:

We paid $4.00 a bale when it was cute last year, delivered and stacked in my hay shed. Bought enough until we get new hay this summer. Please grass hay, no alfalfa which I don't feed to my minis.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back