Curious about sweat bands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I saw on another thread that someone was going to purchase a neck band, and it made me curious to how many other people use them, if they really work, and how long you keep them on your horse. Since I have no intention of showing, I don't plan on using them, but I would still like to know all about them and your experiences with them.

If you get the fleece lined sweats or wraps and keep them on 24/7 they can work really well. When I use them (I make my own) I have two per horse. I switch them out every day and let the used one hang dry. I take them off while driving. I have only really done two shows where I was going to do halter and so bothered to do this. Anyway, here are my before and after pics. There was something like 6 or 8 weeks between the shots...can't remember exactly.

Rainy before (she was NOT happy with me)

Rainyhead.jpg

Rainy20005.jpg

(not the best topline anyway, but good greif what a few inches of fat can change!)

and after--Rainy at her first show where she got a reserve grand champ sr mare--I was so tickled!

Rainyneck.jpg

WC-Rainy2trimmed500.jpg

RainyatDelMarva20053-500.jpg

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowee...what a great example...hard to top that..but I also use jowl and neck wraps on my big and small halter horses..sure saves time trying to sweat them..

Thanks for those pics..nice...

If you get the fleece lined sweats or wraps and keep them on 24/7 they can work really well. When I use them (I make my own) I have two per horse. I switch them out every day and let the used one hang dry. I take them off while driving. I have only really done two shows where I was going to do halter and so bothered to do this. Anyway, here are my before and after pics. There was something like 6 or 8 weeks between the shots...can't remember exactly.

Rainy before (she was NOT happy with me)

Rainyhead.jpg

Rainy20005.jpg
(not the best topline anyway, but good greif what a few inches of fat can change!)

and after--Rainy at her first show where she got a reserve grand champ sr mare--I was so tickled!

Rainyneck.jpg

WC-Rainy2trimmed500.jpg

-Amy

Wow, that is a difference! So you leave them on for 24/7 ? Is that for a week? month? Also, does the environment that the horse is in, make a big difference in whether you would use a sweat band? I tried reading up on them, but can't find any articles on how to, or results. Before and after pictures are great. Also, do the horses act as if these bands bother them?

I left the sweats on my mare for the entire 6 or 8 weeks we were preparing for that show. I have always said that I would never do anything to my horse I wouldn't be willing to do to myself, so I used one of my sweats on me as well--every night as I slept and any time I was out working horses. We both lost quite a few inches! She lets me know in NO uncertain terms when she doesn't like something and is very opinionated. She HATES hoods or slinkies, but never minded the sweat at all. She and I both are looking like the before pictures again...

I also need to add that I didn't just put on the sweat and assume it would work on it's own. I also slowly changed her diet to less hay and added two cups of soaked beet pulp, a cup of oats and 1/4 cup of a ration balancer twice a day. We were working on harness training and on jumping so workouts were three or four times a week of an hour or so.

-Amy

default_smile.png
I need to try them for myself before I would think about doing it for my horse, haha. I could definately benefit from it. Can I ask, where do you get fleece lined ones at? Also, what ones did you use for yourself? I think I had a light bulb light up above my head.
default_yes.gif
:

I made all of mine. I made 3" throat sweats and 8" neck wraps that I used. I used the 8" wrap on myself as well. I bought neoprene in 8" rolls of 25' long in bright colors and lined them all with polar fleece. I have a ton of the neoprene left since I bought it in bulk...need to get off my lazy tail and make some more, but don't see it happening any time soon. You can get the wraps at just about any place that carries mini supplies.

Here is what I did for her sweats:

P1010834.jpg

Latest posts

Back