Cremello or Perlino

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
We are trying to see what the main different is in a cremello and perlino.

If a mare is listed with as cremello could she be perlino? Her dam is smokey black and sire solid buckskin. She has had four foals. She had when bred to black, she had smokey black with both blue eyes foals and buckskin. When bred to palomino pinto she had cremello or perlino pinto with both blue eys..She has Sky blue eyes and pink eye.

thanks for the information.

Do you think she is cremello or Perlino? She is listed as cremello.

Kutehead2-1.jpg

It does seem more likely that she would be a perlino. It seems like people have said perlino is not an option with at least one of the registries so it wouldn't surprise me at all if she was misregistered as a cremello. The picture doesn't seem to be working though.

Kutehead2-1.jpg
Head photo

if she is a perlino and not cremello what are the different in her foals colors she could have?I am only using head photo, because she is our friends horse.

one of her foals we own.

100_4607-1.jpg
his sire is black or smokey black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could she be a smokey cream?? Her base color seems almost too dark for a cremello/perlino?? Can they color test her? That may be the only way they will find out for sure.

Just from her head shot I would say that she's Perlino. Perlino is a double delute of a black base. So if you cross her with anything with another black base, that black will always be working on whatever foal is produced.

I'm not a major color expert, but you can possiblely get buckskin, smokey black, or perlino..........maybe some others........hopefully someone else can give you the percentages and maybe another color I haven't thought of.

MA

At a guess I'd say she's a perlino and also carrying pinto if she had a black foal with blue eyes. I have a perlino pinto mare and her main body coloring is very similiar to the color of the head on this mare. I put the pinto in because the blue eyes are a pinto characteristic and a smoky black will not carry the blue eyes on with the creme color.

We have a filly here that is out of a sorrel stud and a perlino pinto mare, the filly is solid black (but smoky black due to the mother being a double dilute) but has an ice blue eye that is from the mothers pinto genetics.

krisp

She's the same color as my stud.... He's a perlino (but listed as a cremello with both AMHA & R). He throws buckskin, palomino, smokey black, cremello and perlino. Here's a picture of him and the colt we had out of him this year who is a pal.

Cazzo

DSC_3461.jpg

DSC_4704.jpg

LBS Karbon Copy

DSC_4709.jpg

Ok, you ask about colors she could throw if she's a perlino vs a cremello. A perlino is basically a bay with a two creme genes, so would carry the black, the agouti (bay) and has two creme genes. Now she could also carry the red gene but it would not show (black covers red) so the variety is large in what she could throw IF she's a perlino, the best bet would be to have her genetically tested.

krisp

So if you cross her with anything with another black base, that black will always be working on whatever foal is produced.
Unless of course she is heterozygous black--bred to a heterozygous black, you would still have a 25% chance of getting a red based foal.
You can rule out smokey cream, since she had a buckskin foal when bred to a black. We know the black doesn't carry agouti (if he did he would be bay, not black)--so that means the mare does carry the agouti. That means she is either perlino or cremello, but it is really impossible to tell cremello from perlino just by looking; the only sure way, really, is to get her tested.

If she were bred to a sorrel and the resulting foal was a buckskin or smokey black, then that would tell you that she is black based--then you would know she is not a cremello.

I think she is smokey cream as Mona said, because she is a little dark to be either perlino or cremello in my opinion.

As I understand it:

• Cremello is double dilute w/ red
  • Perlino is double dilute w/ bay
  • Smokey cream is double dilute w/ black
Double dilutes are one of my favorites and I hope to have some more double dilute girls as the years go by!!!

Jill, if she had a buckskin foal when bred to a black pinto, she cannot be smokey cream! To get the buckskin foal, one parent had to be carrying agouti. If the mare is smokey cream carrying agouti then she would be perlino! If the sire is the one that contributed the agouti then he is bay and not black.

That is true, BUT (there's always that BUT! :bgrin ) what if the "buckskin" was actually a smokey black? Sometimes as foals those smokey black foals can look buckskin.
default_yes.gif
:

Jill, if she had a buckskin foal when bred to a black pinto, she cannot be smokey cream! To get the buckskin foal, one parent had to be carrying agouti. If the mare is smokey cream carrying agouti then she would be perlino! If the sire is the one that contributed the agouti then he is bay and not black.

so if she was tested.What would you test her for?

She had a buckskin foal when bred to black stallion.

she had two blacks(smokey black with both blue eyes) when bred to black.

she had cremello or prelino pinto foal when bred to palomino pinto.

The genetics is so
default_wacko.png
:

thanks Melissa

so if she was tested.What would you test her for?

She had a buckskin foal when bred to buckskin stallion.

she had two blacks(smokey black with both blue eyes) when bred to black.

she had cremello or prelino pinto foal when bred to palomino pinto.

The genetics is so
default_wacko.png
:

thanks Melissa

I would test her for AGOUTI. Whether she is smokey cream or perlino, both are black based colors, so really no need to test for red, unless you want to, to be sure she is not cremello...wouldn't hurt I guess. No need to test for cream, as she is definately a DD. But just going soley on if she is smokey cream or perlino, if she tests positive for agouti, she is perlino. If not, she would be smokey cream. If you do test for red, and she is red based, then she would not be smokey cream, and she would not be perlino, but would be cremello. I THINK I have all that right! LOL!

We have a buckskin pinto mare bred to her cremello or perlino pinto son(has both sky blue eyes and pink skin as well, but he looks alot whiter then her), so I am guessing what we could get with those two.

thanks

so if she is cremello, perlino or smokey cream all of these would be DD, so you would still get dilute foals right?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back