Covered loose mineral feeder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I am currently offering loose minerals in each of my horses stalls, but being winter, Im currently turning my horses out all day, they only come in to eat dinner, stay in overnight, eat breakfast, and go right back out to the pasture. With them being out so much, I would prefer the minerals out where they have access most of the day. Also, one of my horses has an addiction to eating anything he thinks is food. He will eat a salt block in two days, or loose salt in his stall overnight. When I have it in the pasture, he seems to graze it as needed, and not gorge on it. Im sure its not a defiency, as he has done this at his past two owners also.

I have a mineral pan that I can put the minerals out in, but I would really like to find something to keep it covered so it doesn't melt and wash away. I dont have a run in shed in my big pasture, and my paddock just goes into the stalls. I don't live on the property where my horses are, so I cant just run outside at the drop of a hat when it rains to put minerals in. My parents live on the property, and I have a field adjacent to their property that I built my barn and pastures on. My parents will feed for me if needed, and do check on the horses, but I dont want them having to run out to move minerals. Im hoping to come up with something to keep them covered, but isnt dangerous, and is cost effective.

I can tell you what I use but it isn't perfect. I bought some food grade 45gallon plastic drums and cut a large portion out of the side. This left a shallow pan about 6 -8" high on the bottom (actually the top since I flipped mine upside down so I could use the 'bungs' to drain it if it got wet inside) and a roof about 15" at the top with a wall that goes around 2/3rds of the way. I then fasten the barrel to a fence so the back ( the remaining side wall) is turned to the direction rain is blown from and the feed/ minerals inside stay mostly dry. It is not perfect because unless it is under shelter there is a small amount of moisture that can still get inside occasionally and so I must use smaller amounts of minerals and replenish them every few days.

This is a picture of one in use to feed hay.

Feeders etc 010.jpg

I have a Twister Mineral Feeder like the one pictured that I purchased at Tractor Supply several years ago. It works great! I keep it in my pasture and when the horses are out there, they have access to salt and minerals.

Mineral feeder.jpg

How much do those cost Becky? I have just got a new free choice mineral tub for mine but would hate for the rain to get to it and for once found something they actually like. The tub I use weighs 100#s but its round similiar to the one in the pic.

Jamie, it looks like they are currently $159.99. Worth the money and lasts for years.
default_smile.png

Wanna be cheap like me? I do the same thing you do now. I have a large round black rubber feeder that I keep outside with the loose minerals in. Don't have a roof to keep them under but I do have fences! I take a little tarp and go in the corner where the fence is and attach the tarp to the top and sides fence with two way clips. Walla! Got a roof and sides. When its going to be pouring down rain or snowing like crazy I put it back in the tack room. Its not going to hurt them not having it out for a few days. Cheap is good.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back