County Fairs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am supervisor for the Antique section at our County Fair, and also work with the garden club in Floriculture. I'm getting together my hand made things, preserves, vegetables, and flowers for the Fair. I was thinking of entering a photograph that I altered. They have a special section for that. It is a peacock topiary at the Dallas arboretum. Lots of competition in the photo section, however, so not sure I will enter.

Anyone entering county fairs?

Our county fairs are done. I didn't enter anything this year, but have in the past, and might again in the future. Our fair has gotten so small, that I've mostly entered so that there were more things in the exhibit building; one year I did get best in show on one quilt (my favorite quilt).

This quilt:

Fall Frolic - finished.jpg

Lovely quilt!

I know what you mean about the fairs getting smaller. I enter as much as I can just to keep it interesting. Finding judges is getting really hard, also. I had to find a judge for Antiques and floriculture, and it was a challenge! All the people who used to be involved are old and tired.

We tried a new section in Floriculture this year--youth. We're hoping that if parents are bringing a child's entry, they will bring some of their own also.

I usually enter some of my canned foods there is alot of competition at our fair. Not sure yet what I'm entering, but, probably alot of my tomatoe products. My favorite exhibits at the fair are the livestock and poultry. Last year someone had some babydoll sheep, they were so cute I wanted to bring one home. Told hubby he should enter one of his pumpkins the are so pretty, but he says they are not big enough.

I usually enter some of my canned foods there is alot of competition at our fair. Not sure yet what I'm entering, but, probably alot of my tomatoe products. My favorite exhibits at the fair are the livestock and poultry. Last year someone had some babydoll sheep, they were so cute I wanted to bring one home. Told hubby he should enter one of his pumpkins the are so pretty, but he says they are not big enough.
I don't think size is everything the judge looks for in pumpkins. He should go for it.

Great you are planning to enter!

Our Fair is going on. I worked all day yesterday accepting entries, then assisting the judge. Long day! I usually go back the next day to docent the school children, but I was too tired.

Some categories had no competition, so it's hard to count those blue ribbons. I did get a blue on my burlap/tie tree skirt. My pin cushion sugar bowl did not place. The burlap pillow sham got a blue; there were several entries in that category, so it makes the blue ribbon better. My yardlong green beans got a blue and so did the potatoes. Chilis didn't place; there were quite a few peppers. Onions had no competition. My Oklahoma tea rose got Grand Champion in flowers! My pickles did not place; there were lots of pickles this year. My dried kale and dried tomatoes got ribbons. The only baked thing I entered was Party Cookies, and I got a Champion ribbon on those.

I've been so busy with my sick horse lately I didn't have energy to bake much.

Tomorrow I have to be there when exhibitors pick up their items and then it will be over till next year. It's fun to begin to plan what I may take then.

How did the fair go for you, Terry?

Latest posts

Back