County Fair

Discussion in 'The Back Porch' started by Marsha Cassada, Aug 21, 2019.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2019 #1

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Tomorrow is the first day of our county fair. It's not very big, but it's still a lot of work. I have my stuff gathered up to enter and will make some cookies in the morning to take. Hope some of my flowers perk up in the night so i can take a few; heat has been ruthless lately. Four o'clocks and crepe myrtle are looking pretty good. No roses, poor things. I have a few vegetables to take. I'm taking my felt food and some other needlework to enter, and a couple of photos to enter. I am supervisor for the Antique section and it's always a busy spot. This year instead of people entering their animals in certain classes, the Fair board is sponsoring a jackpot. We'll see how this works out. The number of animals entered the last few years has been dwindling, so they are going to try the jackpot. Horse club is hosting a clinic on Saturday and I said I'd bring Dapper Dan in to show harnessing. I might take Midnight instead; she would enjoy it and she has better manners!
    My mom is in a nursing home. The residents have been busy making things for a few weeks to enter in the fair. The bus will take them to the fair; they are looking forward to that! Isn't that neat that the nursing home helps them with that? Most of the residents are farm folk who entered things in the fair their whole lives. She wouldn't have gone if she'd been home and we offered to take her, but now she's looking forward to going on the bus!

2. Aug 21, 2019 #2

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Hope everything goes well for the fair and the weather cools down, so you can enjoy yourselves :)

3. Aug 23, 2019 #3

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

My sister's orchid was a show stopper at the Fair. I got blue on my onions and squash. Supposed to have 5 apples instead of only 3, so that entry was a bust! Premium on my dried chives and ribbons on my other drieds: kale, tomatoes, cherries, chilies. Quite a bit of garden produce this year, which was great to see. My felt food was a hit with the spectators and children, but only got second place in the judge's estimation.
    I went over to the other County Fair where my mom's things were. It is a German Mennonite area with a very active Homemakers Club and 4H. Lots of beautiful quilts, baked goodies, canned goods, and garden produce!! Much more than at our Fair. Very enjoyable to see.
    Tomorrow I take Dapper Dan for a harnessing exhibit. There will be a vet tech, farrier, and a training session. Hope DD and I do not croak in the heat.

Attached Files:

4. Aug 24, 2019 #4

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

Congratulations to you and your sister on your ribbons.
    I like your felt food :) Was it the hamburger and bun that you entered?
    How did your Mom's day go? I think it is great that they offer to take them to the fair and that the residents have entered their handiwork.
    I hope it went well with DD and you didn't melt. The woman who owned Peanut before me used him in harnessing demonstrations at the fairs. For the 4-H kids, I think. I dunno how she managed, knowing what a ninny he can be!

What is a Jackpot and how does it work?

plaid mare likes this.
  5. Aug 24, 2019 #5

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I think a jackpot is when exhibitors pay to enter and whoever wins takes home the money. No ribbons. Looked as though there was a good crowd for the event. The newspaper will probably have statistics next week.
    I had a pretty miserable morning. Don't think Dapper Dan enjoyed it either. I had bathed him the night before and used high-end conditioner on his tail and forelock. He was so handsome today! This is his birthday month--he is 23. People today had a hard time believing he is that old.

plaid mare and Cayuse like this.
  6. Aug 25, 2019 #6

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

Do you have some pictures? I'd love to see them.
    Was you miserable because of the heat?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    plaid mare likes this.
  7. Aug 25, 2019 #7

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

It was too hard to work the camera and Dapper Dan at the same time; when I was driving him I couldn't take pictures and when the children were playing with them I had to be alert.
    I was miserable because the presenter was so long winded and kept recommending rough "cowboy" training. "You can beat a horse all over with a 2X4 but just don't hit him in the eye" kind of thing, and using a rope halter without warning people about its dangers.
    I thought I was going to talk about harnessing. I think some of the spectators would have been interested in driving, but Mr Long Wind had the microphone and most of the people just faded away after a while.

Some children came over and I let them drive Dapper Dan. I'm not going to do that any more; it isn't fair to him. I think I remember saying that once before, but I forgot. I don't think I will forget again.
    Anyway, he got a nice bath and we spent several hours playing together, so all was not lost.
    I picked up my Fair entries, but the money lady was already gone so I will have to go back tomorrow to get my ribbon money. And Dapper Dan enjoyed one of my blue ribbon cookies!

8. Aug 25, 2019 #8

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

:eek:
    I'd be miserable too! Mr. Windy sounds like kinda mean! Really mean, in fact.

plaid mare likes this.
  9. Aug 26, 2019 #9

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Actually, his actions with the horse were correct, it was his words that I objected to. He was doing the right thing but saying the wrong things! I think he is one of those trainers who believe in natural horsemanship, but hasn't quite given up the cowboy/rodeo mentality. If he had kept his session to 30 minutes, he would have been okay.
    Picked up my ribbon winnings today and I made $79.50! That was worth the effort.

10. Sep 1, 2019 #10

plaid mare

plaid mare

plaid mare

MHT Supporter MHT Supporter

Impressive swag!

Draft saved Draft deleted