Could use some "eyes" and lots of prayers!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
We have decided to keep Mira here to foal her out (long story that I know many of you have read on another thread) and put the cam up last night. http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=ontarget

She is in a modified run-in situation so until she gets closer to foaling, there are other minis in her "foaling stall". Last night I got a call that Mira was down - except it wasn't Mira, it was Fizz, with a mild colic. Fizz is being treated for Lyme Disease (Doxycycline) which I am mixing in her feed and adding soaked beet pulp and alfalfa cubes to. I have some Stomach Soother on order but it hasn't arrived yet. I gave her some Banmine, put on a blanket because she was cold and she seemed to be OK - really glad I had people on Mare Stare watching her! Is this a normal reaction to Lyme Disease Meds? I sure know what antibiotics can do to people, so I figure it can be the same for horses??? Also, she was bred last week (up until Saturday) and wonder if this mild colic could be related to that??? My vet will be here today for Mira's pre-foaling shots so I will of course ask him too.

Anyway, if anyone has time, I would appreciate extra eyes watching the goings on here! I am here all the time, but these guys seem to be getting into constant trouble this week. Yesterday my big horse (15 H) manged to get through a chained gate and in with our mini stallion. (He closed the gate behind him too). The squealing set off the other minis who were in the back yard (you don't want to see the yard now!) and got me flying out the door to see what was wrong. It would have been comical if it wasn't so scary watching the 30" stallion "mounting" the gelding and raking his hooves down his rear end while walking on his tip-toes! Luckily, Target is a priceless gem and never even threatened to kick!!!! Neither horse had a scratch on him after I got them apart.

Sox is doing pretty well, and you might even be able to see her on the cam, most likely just outside the stall. Maybe not today because it is cold and rainy and she is still in her stall. Of course, she is also on meds but so far tolerating them OK.

Thank you all!

UPDATE at 6PM: Mira has sticky milk and I am afraid she may be aborting from the shots she had this morning. And of course I can't reach my vet on the cell phone .... Alarm is on, tail is wrapped, straw is down, and I am praying I am wrong this time!!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.. post here or on MareStare or call the numbers on the cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I missed the other mentioned forum postings, just how far along is Mira???

Is she too early to have a live foal???

She is at 303 days (I think) and still on Regumate. I was just starting to decrease it very slowly.

Vet did call back and is on alert!!! Her vulva is very red and she was kicking at her sides. She is a maiden who had a horrible breech dystocia/abortion at 8 1/2 months last year.

At 303 days this wouldn't have to be an abortion--could be a perfectly normal foaling with a full term foal. I'll be hoping for the best for you and Mira!

I dunno about in Horses but I can tell you when i got on anitibiotics for my lyme it really can knock me for a loop and make me feel HORRIBLE (in varying ways depending on the drug) including stomach cramping etc. Also there is a side effect with lyme that is called a Herxhiemer reaction that goes in cycles when the bacteria flairs up in the system your body tries to fight it off. then the Herx can be made far worse by antibiotic use. Essentially when you take the anitibiotics the bacteria dies and breaks up into pieces. The body/immune system then goes into overdrive thinking that it's being overridden by lyme bacteria so your body gets real sick etc trying to fight this off. It's probably a similar instance for your mare.

Well, the good news is that the Stomach Soother got here today so Sox and Fizz both got that with their meds tonight. Fizz is the one with Lyme and seemed quite perky today. Sox is also improving every day. Now my main concern is Mira.... The fact that she is eating doesn't mean much - she LIKES her food...

I'm watching her too, Mary. I have a mare at day 306, it's my first ever baby! Prayers for your mare. It seems there were alot of foals born before day 300 this year, that did just fine.
default_wub.png

Joyce

They shut off the camera. Things were not going well.

Sure hope that was the veterinarian, but it did not look like it.

Sending prayers....I see the cam went off.....I hope and pray all will be ok.

Hopefully that was the vet, it looked like they had the legs when the camera was shut off!!
default_no.gif
Sending prayers!!

So scary! I'm praying so hard for that little mare!!! Didn't look good at all! Please God let everything be ok!

Tammy

They are back on camera!!!! It is alive!!!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

I think I did not take a breath for 10 minutes ..... Phew !!

Latest posts

Back