Could she be bred??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mare is healing up real fast, she's a very calm and easy going girl, I expected her to heal this quickly. Vet is on vaca....this happened last time he was out, I don't understand it. Another vet answered the mare's questions, but not about the mini. Took out her drain tube, Monday her stitches should come out. So if I can't call them, I'll ask direct when someone is here for that. Her cut was jagged, in a spot where the skin lifts off if disturbed. I have pictures if anyone cares to see them.

If it was my gelding, I'd expect a giant mess and a very long and stressful recovery. But then, he does surprise me sometimes as to just how calm and w/e he can be, like when he decides to paw the fence and get stuck on it. He just stands there, waiting for me to find him and then calmly lets me hoist up his leg up and out. Weird how random he can be, but I guess he trusts me enough when it comes to saving his hippo butt.

She's on only pasture, like the other two horses and the sheep. Hay is available to them all the time. She will eat it, but obviously grass is far more interesting than dry grass. When I first got her, she wouldn't eat hay at all. I was mixing it with pellets and soaked alfalfa hay cubes. But regular hay she never touched. I guess living with the other horses got her interested in it. She does like to steal things and she's pulled hay out of the gelding's mouth before. Maybe she thought he was too fat and didn't need it. They have mineral/salt blocks as well.

She lets me look in her mouth w/o much issue, I see two baby teeth for sure and then regular ones that don't look odd or sticking out.

It's no issue not having a land line, once I get the phone's battery working right, unless I drop it into a trough, it'll all be dandy again. Deleted some random junk that was on it and it's made it last a little longer, but something else is still sucking it up too fast. Smart phones aren't that smart...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so vet taking stitches out is more money, not at all like with dogs and cats....what a pain. That's one thing they should tell you about before getting livestock.....

Vet will do an ultrasound on the mini after he gets the mare's stitches out on Monday. Will post back after that. =)

I didn't get prices, got the battery to go up, but was too paranoid about it dying and the lady was the only one there and scatterbrained. She even had to call me back to get the expiration code, lol.

Can't wait to hear what your vet says about the ultrasound, and glad your mare is recovering nicely, enough to get her stitches out! Keep us posted!

*headdesk*

More reasons to hate this vet practice. Called Friday to pay a bill and to get a vet out today for stitch removal and ultrasound. Right?
Called today to confirm time and I'm not even in the system! !
Same person I talked to Friday doesn't even remember talking to me!
Ughhhhhhh.
Rescheduled for tomorrow 10-11am. Hope they show up....

No one ever believes the owner, noooo, strangers are always right.

Ugh.

Told the person who scheduled the appointment that she was tiny and blood work was best. Noooo, she knows best.

Vet came out and confirmed that I was right, too small for palpation or ultrasound. He got blood instead and the place he sends it to only run them on Mondays. So next monday I should hear back from someone.

He also still doesn't believe just how calm, peachy fine with fiddling of sensitive spots and how fast her wound healed.

Yup, I told him so. =D

I love my vets. I would not use a vet I could not stand. My vet believes me and doesn't give me that "I know best" attitude. She listens to me because I know my animals best. Relationships between vet and client are a marriage of sorts and sometimes you just might need a divorce. LOL. best wishes, glad your mare is doing good and can't wait to hear your results.

No, it's the people answering phones in the large animal clinic. But also the all the vets in the small animal clinic suck and seriously think of themselves as better than owners. I don't use them for my dogs and cat for that reason.

horse vet that came out is nice, he was amazed by how well she did, he said he never sees that and they usually need sedation to be messed with in such areas.

Did math this morning and some research. If she is bred, then 8-9mo minimum. Looking at maiden mini pics late in pregnancy, kinda impossible to tell anything, lol.

Maiden Mini =
default_new_rofl.gif

Looking forward to hearing what the results are
default_smile.png

All these delayed answers are killing me! I wanna know already!

What does a pregger belly feel/sound like? Anything like human ones, where it's like a basketball and hollow sounding?

Or could that just be fat, hay/grass belly as well?? I'll compare her's to my hippo's belly...lol.

Anyone have good IDs for fescue grass?

Took pics of what I think is it, but then again, seems like a few grasses are similar and no one knows what I mean by cool, soft, stiff feel or look of the leaves...I feel nuts referring to grass as such, but if you touch them, you'll get the same feel.

I've never seen fine fescue before, but I might have turf type, not sure. Took some pics, none had fresh flower/seed heads. I guess I've been mowing too much.

10392309_816632321703611_5098098349281416884_n.jpg

10590490_816632338370276_1409230177145170348_n.jpg

12232_816632371703606_1247567059269679997_n.jpg

10577176_816632391703604_1775686608064958237_n.jpg

Well, w/e this odd grass is, seems like it's mostly in the backyards and not pastures.

Flats have tons of sedge, Deer-tongue looking plant, some soft tall grasses and clovers. With some other weeds and ragweed mixed in. When I say ragweed, I don't mean ragwort. Ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia, lots of places say it's safe for humans to eat and it used to be cultivated. But rest is all mixed up, some say bad, others say fine.

Got new pics of Kasia. Will post soon. Realized the camera doesn't see two views combined into one like we do. So butt pictures hide how wide she is in person. Need to use a tape measure around her belly, might help more...

Mmk, got some measurements. Do they say anything to you?

Height 34in

Heart girth 42in

Widest belly point 50in

Loin 43in

If you press even lightly in the lower side loin or under, she obviously doesn't like it. I tested this on my big mare and my hippo gelding, with a lot of pressure, nothing.

Does this mean anything, stomach pain or anything else?

Read that a pregger belly should be oblong and not a perfect sphere. True?

What we're looking for is "lop-sidedness" as babies seldom lay completely poking out both sides equally. So, a lopsided look standing at the back end and looking forward down the sides is just perfect. As they progress in pregnancy, and get nearer to their anticipated foaling date, we look to see how baby is positioned, and whether baby is lining up "spine for spine" with momma...getting ready for birth. Then we use the full side shot to see if baby has moved forward, etc.,

So, that's why we ask for those special "shots" -- I know they sound like pretty funny pictures, but they have their purpose!

Hmm, so then I'm going to say not preggers. Can't wait for Monday/Tuesday when results are in. I'm going to try round pen training first and then adding some good protein pellet if she still keeps her belly. (If it's negative)

How I feel about the pregger test waiting---

222.jpeg

That's not what I was saying at all. A couple of the pictures look suspiciously lopsided, and her side views look like a nice rounded belly. I can't wait to see what your vet says, but I don't think I'd give up yet!

Cute picture above, by the way!

1inch shown on right is what I see on both sides with my eyes. Camera sees half inch on both sides.

I want her to not be bred, from sheep, I know the bad things that can happen, don't want that for her.

Everyone should want that, she's only a baby herself.

She looks giant up close, just a bit fat at a distance....Two more days!

Latest posts

Back