Cost of showing at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never shown at the AMHR Nationals and I'm curious to know how much it cost. Entry fees, hotel or campsite, etc. For those who have shown there, what is the average cost that someone would expect to spend if you stayed for the entire show?

Although I have never shown at AMHA World or AMHR Nationals, I have shown in Oklahoma City at the NRHA Futurity & Derby a couple times. As mentioned, when you live on the west coast the biggest expense was shipping horses. Last time we hauled ourselves and hauled another horse for a friend to help with fuel costs. We went on a budget but I never felt that we skimped. I just prepared and shopped way ahead of time. I made reservations and if I came across something cheaper I changed, although I did not have to make many changes as I just mentioned a better rate from someone else and I got the matched price. There are lots of decent and nice hotels in Fort Worth for $50 or less and that includes breakfast. My daughter and I are flying in for 7 days to watch the AMHA World and I got two RT air tix, hotel & rental car for $900 total, but over half of that is air fare. I am staying at Amercias Best Value Inn for $39 a night. It was rated well on tripadvisor.com & other sites. Its not the Ritz, but how much time do you really spend in your hotel? I just wanted clean, safe, within 5 miles of coliseum and breakfast included. I got the $39 rate by joining the hotels "value club". It was free and I saved $6 night. I can tell you, it pays to shop. I spent several hours shopping different web sites and making direct calls to get the best deal. It also does not hurt to make a reservation and cancel later if you find a better deal. I even "held" my airfare at AA for 24 hours to make sure I did not find a better deal and I got a direct flight cheaper than I could have gotten a flight with at least one stop and change of planes.

Also, in regards to horse shipping prices. I have shopped around a lot recently, and the prices I am getting are .40 to .50 a mile whether its a mini or full size horse.

This is really good to know. We're going to try to get Jay qualified next year and take him. I should start saving now and shopping for everything I need so that I'm not breaking the bank when the time comes. Thanks so much for posting this topic.

I'm not exactly sure where everyone is getting the "thousands of dollars" figures. I can tell you that my clients pay for their stall fees, entry fees, office fees and the shavings. Also, my clients split the cost of gas, etc.... The hotel we are staying at is $80/night and we are 2 blocks from the show facility. We rented a fridge for our stalls and filled it with groceries instead of eating out for every meal. I can honestly say that my clients will average about $500-600/horse to attend the AMHR Nationals.

I think Adam they are maybe talking about total costs - start to finish. We sent Treasure out with Josh this year so our expenses were more than most. With traveling to NC 3 times added to it but I wanted to get a few mares in foal.

My entries for the 8 horses, stalls, office fees, ect was around $2000.00. Then the cost of shavings, traveling, hotel, eating ect another $2500.00 for 4 of us.

Honestly I think a person could live in a stall and shower there, eat reasonably and probably get by for a super reasonable amount. We may try the stall thing ourselves. Not sure if Rick is up for it however. Shawn already sleeps in the stall now.

I put money away every 2 weeks so I don't notice
default_smile.png
and that really helps
default_smile.png
And I consider Nationals my vacation -even though this year we were pretty much at a run the whole time but it was worth it!

You can make Nationals as expensive or reasonable as you want. Stay in a stall and save lots of money. Bring a cooler with food. Maybe a microwave. Do the clipping and horse work yourself. We took 3 horses and our fees were less than 800.00 for 7 classes,3 horses, 4 stalls, and we brought our own shavings. The weather was cool this year, so staying in a stall wouldn't be bad. You only have to go to a few shows to qualify. It's fun and a great experience. This was my first year to show and it was amazing to drive in that arena.
default_biggrin.png
dionne

I spent $915 on 14 classes and 4 stalls and 4 horses and one of them was a tack room. Gas from Mo was around $120. We only ate lunch out twice and never ate breakfast out as we ate at the Hotel we brought stuff as we brought a refer w/ us at the stall and we had one in the room. Lunch $40 for 3 of us TTL. Dinners 5 days approx 1 nice dinner out the rest we ate at Tally's, and one at Denny's. $200 Snacks while driving probably $25, had to have my diet coke if I ran out from bringing it w/ my out of the fridge plus, candy.....

BUT, BUT, where I SPENT THE MONEY was inside the SHOPS. OMG'd I bought National halters, T shirt, Roadster outfit, Sleanky, Blankets, JEWELERY, Went to Gordys and got a dress to drive in........... EMBORDERY on my horses blankets for National WINS, JACKET, SWEAT SHIRT all with EMBORDERY............ $$$$$$$$$$$$$, Blades sharpened, professional pictures I think I had 5 or 6 of them done, I 'm SCARED to know how much I dropped in those shops......... UGH!!!!!!!! OH AND I SPENT $200 on a new show halter for my mare!!!!! That was dumb....!!!!!!!! But it was pretty.... PLUS, I owed the last part for my 2 carts. YEP, I spent a lot. The initial wasn't bad IT's this STUFF>.... TJ

I have a seperate checking account, that pays a little interest too. That account is ONLY used for 2 things. Christmas and Nationals.

I deposit into it every 2 weeks, no matter what! I have a certain amount I always put in, and sometimes extra. I never look at the total until Nationals, and then I take half. Then make adjustments I need to. My horse was with a trainer, I agree with the cost Adam gave. I drove my sons Civic out instead of my truck and saved a lot! Still had the toll fee. My hotel had breakfast, took the rest in a cooler. Did not shop. When I got back, I put some of my half back into the account for Christmas. So was happy with that! THE biggest thing is discipline, it took me a year or two, but that seperate account does not exist through out the year!

I'm not exactly sure where everyone is getting the "thousands of dollars" figures. I can tell you that my clients pay for their stall fees, entry fees, office fees and the shavings. Also, my clients split the cost of gas, etc.... The hotel we are staying at is $80/night and we are 2 blocks from the show facility. We rented a fridge for our stalls and filled it with groceries instead of eating out for every meal. I can honestly say that my clients will average about $500-600/horse to attend the AMHR Nationals.

Adam they are adding the cost of qualifying the horses as well. Of course clients can have it a bit easier as they are splitting fuel and hotel costs and if a trainer has a show string of 12 horses the costs can become minimal for that as opposed to going with one or 2 people.

OMG!!! I am planning to go to nationals next year and now that I know how much it costs I am definitely going to have to cut back on how many horses are on my showstring for the rest of the year!!! I had at least 5 with a couple other possibilities but now I know it is going to have to be more like 1 or 2. Good to know though so I can plan accordingly!

Latest posts

Back