Cost of showing at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawgirl

Reaction score
I've never shown at the AMHR Nationals and I'm curious to know how much it cost. Entry fees, hotel or campsite, etc. For those who have shown there, what is the average cost that someone would expect to spend if you stayed for the entire show?

I was told if only 1 horse only 2 qualifing classes, you drive, you enter, no trainnings, sleep in trailer or stall $2000 minimum to $8000 max with help

WOW!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

can someone give a breakdown (at least approximate)

how much are entries? stalls? hotel? what other expenses can we expect?

I would like to attend next year but am weighing the cost of the National with what it would cost me to go to

the Italian Greyhound Nationals ( dont think I can do both)

I was told if only 1 horse only 2 qualifing classes, you drive, you enter, no trainnings, sleep in trailer or stall $2000 minimum to $8000 max with help
Who ever told you that was pulling your leg!!

A few years ago when Real Estate was doing well (I am a Realtor) I spent $8000 for one horse to go to all of the shows to get qualified for the Worlds, entered many classes, was with a trainer, went to both the Worlds and the Regional.

I do not know about AMHR anymore, as I have not gone to one of their Nationals since the first year they moved to OK, but here is the breakdown for AMHA Worlds.

This year I will be getting 4 1/2 stalls at the Worlds. I have entered 4 horses in the show. My halter horses are just in the amateur and AOTE classes for now, but two classes per horse. Then my driving horse is in all of the amateur and AOTE driving classes, Single Pleasure and Roadster.

The cost for the stalls and the entries was $760. (stalls are $90 per stall, amateur entries are $35 per class. Open entries are $60) I am driving down from Minnesota with my camper trailer. I get 10 miles per gallon. I figure gas will be about $600. Camping is about $25 per night with hookups. Others camp in their stalls or in their trailers. Hotels are about $75 to $150 per night.

I do all of the work myself, clipping, bathing, showing, etc.

I always try to buddy up with someone to cut the cost of traveling and camping in half.

If one wants to go, one can find a way that is not an exorbitant amount of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Riverdance. It looks like the only difference in the horse show and the dog show cost are the stalls

(if you are showing yourself)

We typically only enter one class per dog (unless it is a youngster and we enter futurity and sweeps)

our entry fees usually run $25-30 for the specialty and most of us enter several dogs

Hotels and camping fees typically run about the same as for the World show

Riverdance,

Thank you for taking the time to type that out! Seems fair to me for a "National" show (coming from an Arabian person).
default_smile.png

It varies are you hauling your own horse, fuel ect or paying to get horse there do you live 2000 miles away or 500 miles away all - will you need to layover for 3 nights on your way to and from or drive straight thru

(for me it is 3000 miles round trip) This year Raven is traveling 3600 + miles round trip

That transportation cost can vary by hundreds for me it is about $600 -$700 round trip per horse

I have to travel at least 5 hours so for a local show to qualify about 600-800 bucks for 2 horses

At Nationals

stalls are $65.00

youth $20.00

Ammy-$30.00

Open-$40.00

Stakes $50.00

For me it is easily $3000.00-$4500.00 a horse often more once you figure in hotel (even splitting it) food, fuel ve work ect price increases if you have a trainer or catch handler

All of that said it is always worth it!

JEZZ LA WEZZ!!! That is the reason why I could NEVER go to Nationals! Way to expensive for my poor mans blood. But oh well, at least I am proud to say I can breed for natonial/world caliber show horses and just hope that one day someone will take one of my home bred horses there and show the world what I can produce!
default_laugh.png
Always thinking positive!
default_biggrin.png

at AMHR that 65 dollar fee is for the entire show it is a GREAT DEAL! Of course you need to purchase a lot of shavings but most go to a feed store down the street it is a bit cheaper

If you truly want to go, then you can make it happen. Figure out how much it will cost you and divide that by 52. Each week put that much away toward your trip. By the time entires are due, you will have the money for that. Then the rest will be for fuel, food and sleeping accommodations. So if its going to cost you $2000 to go to Nationals, or World for that matter, then put away $40 a week toward that goal. And to make it easier, buy that amount in either bank debit cards or something you can use anywhere like cash. That way its not in your bank account to use and when you travel it will be easier than taking cash. Make your own Christmas Club and Christmas will come in September next year. Look forward to seeing everything there, thats where we will be with at least 3 horses and sleeping in our trailer with small living quarters. Oh yea, we also have a dorm refridgerator to keep sandwich and breakfast stuff as well as drinks to cut the cost of eating and drinking during the day, the concession stands can be very expensive.

I've yet to show at Nationals but decided to play around with costs for the if I get there next year (and pricing is about the same) about what will it cost

For 3 horses - 2 sr and one yearling

Sharing / helping out a friend

3 stalls 195

3 office fee 30

5 ammy classes (jumper, hunter, driving) 150

4 open driving classes 160

1 liberty 40

2 driving stakes classses 100

yearling filly halter - 1 ammy & 1 open (stalled with her dam)

grand total for show fees would be $745 to show 3 horses and have ALOT of fun doing it.

additional expense that sometime between now and then I'd have to hit a clearance rack for an evening gown for the night driving classes

doesn't count cost of getting there (which for me isn't alot since I'm close) and I would haul myself

almost all the prep work would be done by myself - I'd even consider saving up to hire done the clipping and razoring - I was quoted $40 by someone that does it at a local show - for all the work that goes into it I would really think about that being worth it.

Sleeping would be in the barn (sharing with a friend and we are each renting a stall (one for grooming/tack/carts and one for sleeping / dressing / food) As well as have the friend there for helping out - she has overs and I have unders so we will be each other's back stage helper, headers and liberty buddy (and whatever else needs to be done)

I consider that a deal - affordable in the grand skeem of things - I will have to save for this but I really hope to be able to get to Nationals next year.

Eatting - between a microwave, mini frige or cooler and a GF grill there isn't a whole lot you can't make - a bit would still go to eatting out here and there.

I've only attended Nationals just to watch and the spirtual connection / hanging out with like minded mini folks is priceless

Wow it sure does ad up quick. I may have to save up for more than just a year to get everyone there that I would like to take 
default_laugh.png

The further you have to travel the more it costs. The going rate now for transport is $.30/mile. This is another thing that people from Texas/Oklahoma don't understand when we say they have a big advantage over most of us at the National and World shows. I still would like to see the shows move around or at least go to the middle of the U.S. And no it is not in TExas , the geographic center of the U.S. is in Kansas.

With the dogs ( and its true for most breeds) We have a "roving" national.

We try to make sure it rotates between central, western and eastern US.

For 25 yrs we had our Nationals in OH and it was always hard to west coast folks to get to year after year.

Does anyone know if the AMHA or AMHR have ever considered a roving World and Nationals?

The further you have to travel the more it costs. The going rate now for transport is $.30/mile. This is another thing that people from Texas/Oklahoma don't understand when we say they have a big advantage over most of us at the National and World shows. I still would like to see the shows move around or at least go to the middle of the U.S. And no it is not in TExas , the geographic center of the U.S. is in Kansas.

AMHA did that for a short time, but it was too expensive as the office staff works at the show. No travel/motels for Fort Worth.

BUT that isn't the main reason at all. Facilities won't give you dates unless you sign a multi year contract. It is very hard to find acceptable facilities, and the few that exist, are booked. If we were to move to another place/part of the country, the dates are lost, contracts broken, no show.

AMHA is looking for a better deal at a more central location, but no dates are available, and I think we have a two or three year contract with Will Rogers.

You should be able to get a hotel, or at the very least, rent a camper for just over $1000 for the whole 10-14 days you need to be there. That was the most expensive part for us.

I think the rest came to about $1000 per horse for me last year. I drove them down, clipped, and cared for them and showed them all myself - well, last year with my daughter's help. And we show jumping, obstacle, driving, - - about 4 or 5 classes per horse.

Believe me Nationals is MUCH cheaper than Pinto World which is at the same facility. Those Pinto people nick you for every dime they can get! We even had to pay for our books that contained the patterns and for the "right" to practice obstacle or jumping with their equipment. It was a whole differnt world!

for clairification,the stall fees... is that per stall for the entire event or per stall per day?

The stall fees of $90 are for the whole show.

I added up what my costs will be for being at the show for the week, showing on Monday, trip down and back and camping. The total is $1560. Now if I want to eat out at all, the cost will go up. Or, if I decide to show in some open classes, then again, the price will go up. (last year I was a late entry for the color class and I won a World Championship in it.
default_biggrin.png
) But, my camper has a stove and microwave, a refrigerator and a freezer. I also have a small refrigerator I use in the grooming stall. There I keep my drinks and luch supplies. So, no extra costs for that or for breakfast. I will cook or microwave most of my dinners too.

I always show at our state fair each year and win about $700. I also haul other horses down to the Worlds or back, which usually covers my camping and traveling costs. So, the Worlds is usually free for me.
default_laugh.png

If there is a will, there is a way.
default_biggrin.png

Who ever told you that was pulling your leg!!

A few years ago when Real Estate was doing well (I am a Realtor) I spent $8000 for one horse to go to all of the shows to get qualified for the Worlds, entered many classes, was with a trainer, went to both the Worlds and the Regional.

Max ment what you said above about qualifing shows, trainer, Natonials total cost... opps for not saying it more clearly.

Latest posts

Back