Cost of Grass Hay around the nation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
I am curious what Grass Hay prices are going for around the nation.

In Tucson I just paid $12.50 for a 100lb bale of Bermuda Hay.

Where are you located and what do you pay for grass hay (include the weight of bale)?

I'm not sure what our bales weight (guessing 40-50lbs). We're using an alfalfa/orchard grass mix and pay $4.

Michigan, 40 to 50 pound square bales

• $3 for first cutting grass hay
  • $4 for second cutting grass hay
  • $5 for alfalfa / grass mix
I know - we're lucky! We also grow our own grass hay and get about 200 bales per year off our small field; we estimate the cost at about $0.60 per bale.

I'm paying $26 for a 100# bale of Timothy grass hay.

Orchard is about $18, Bermuda about $15.

They are three-string bales, very heavy, twice the size of the two wire bales elsewhere in the states.

Andrea

I paid $3.50/bale last year. Delivered to my farm and put in my storage trailer. It is good quality grass hay. The horses love it. About 40-50# bales.

Last edited by a moderator:
We get our 40 lb. bales of 3rd cutting Alfalfa/grass mix from my stepfather. For the most part, it is what is called "dairy" hay around here, no mold, dust, and course stems in a normal growing year. (Last year, it was VERY hard to get up, as it kept raining during 1st and 2nd crop.) He charges us about $3.00, but we tend to "tip" him, too.

The more trucking and handling of the bales, the more the cost goes up. We are in a prime hay growing area, so our costs are lower.

A few months ago, I was surprized that some people said their horses would get thin on certain commercial pelleted feeds, until I recently realized with these hay discussions that they probably aren't getting to feed as "rich" a hay as we have.
default_biggrin.png
Most horses (not sick or aged) around here could feasibly live on our good hay, and some do. We only give pelleted feeds for additional minerals and protein.

Right now my hay dealer is out of hay, brought me the last 2 nice bermuda round bales he had and I paid $35.00 per bale including delivery.

My other hay dealer still has hay and it is also bermuda--the rounds are the 6x5 and sell for $50.00 (he won't deliver) and his squares are $6.00

My show and paddock horses that do not have access to round bales are getting a product called Chaffhaye--it is a 50# compressed alfalfa bale that is comparable to a bale and a half of regular baled alfalfa. I get it for $9.50 so makes it very cost effective. I'm currently feeding 15 horses the recommeded weight and it is lasting me approximately 3 days and there is absolutely no waste.

The first time I opened a bag I thought it had mold all in it but called the company and it was yeast. They enrich it with yeast, enzymes and microflora that allows the feed to be absorbed in the hind gut. My horses will actually eat the yeast on the hay first before the other.

I love it as it is packaged in an weather proof air-tight packageing with a shelf life of 2 years. Easy to transport to shows, the horses do not get "hay belly" feeding this and it is guaranteed dust free, mold free, blister-bettle free and weed free.

For a timothy mix I pay anywhere from $4.50 - $7.50 a bale. I'm in southern NJ.

For Meadow grass (I call it cow hay) really icky stuff is $13 a bale. I have to get that stuff when I can not get to my regular hay guy. He is only open Fri/Sat/Monday 3:00pm to 6:00pm Fri/Monday Sat 7:00am to noon. It makes it hard to get there. They have some Alfalfa that they sell a bit cheaper because it doesn't like to stay in "flakes" when you are separating it. I like it because it is easier to make smaller amounts for the minis. It runs $10-$11 a bale. 100lb+ bales. Then they have the Orchard grass hay which my horses love. It runs $13 a bale 100lb+. Some of their bales are bigger than what you get at the feed store close to 150lbs. They are a bit hard to move by yourself. But, the quality is really there.

Coastal here is about $7.00, I think. We buy it from a friend during the summer for $4.50 a bale, but we have to go pick it up out of the field. Plus we cut our own field, it's $1.65 I think. These are 50lb bales.

Round bales we get from the neighbor behind us, they are $50 each and he delivers.

Alfalfa runs $12 for a two string and $18 for a three string from the feed store.

I live at the foot of the Mountains in North Carolina and I get hay from right below Charlotte NC at 9.25 a bale for straight Timothy that has been tested to be low in sugar and starch. The bale is about 40-50lbs. But, I think he buys it and has it shipped from New York.

I paid $12.99 for a timothy/orchard mix from NY from the Southern States. It is a 40-50" bale. I have switched back to bagged hay $19.25 (TC Safe Starch). Only one mini though.

I dont feed small bales anymore as I have mostly large horses. When I was it was $2-$3 a bale. NOw I get round bales, about 1000 pounds each, and its grass/alfalfa mix(light alfalfa) for $30 a bale.

Im currently feeding small round bales of alfalfa for 3.00 bale. Grass mix is about 2.50 - 3.00. I suspect though this years crop will go back up due to gas prices ughh

$1 per bale of 1st cutting orchard/timmothy mix!

A freind of mines friend moved to Florida and left her hay to sell. So I bought it all! All 200 bales.

Otherwise I pay between $1 - $2 for 1st cutting grassy mix and $3 - $3.75 for 2nd cutting grass/tim/alf/clover mix.

bales weigh aprox 50 - 75 lbs

We are in a hay growing area, believe it or not. And we pay through the nose, IMO.

When buying Orchard Grass by the ton, we pay between $5 to $7 per 75 to 85 pound bale. When buying individual bales we pay between $8 to $10 each.

Oh, forgot to mention.....We are in Central Oregon. Western Oregon probably is different.

Pretty much all we can get here is crappy bermuda, which is a big 3 wire bale for about 15.00 and timothy, which is about $24 a 3 wire bale. I use the bermuda for bedding for foals... it is not much more than a filler. Wish we could find a nice orchard grass here! I would mix a little with my alfalfa!

Here in Perry, GA I just paid $6.00 for coastal that was rebaled. I was glad to get that at this tiome of the year.

I am very fortunate to have Excellent prairie grass hay grown around me here on the Hilliard Flats in Southwest Wyoming. It has timothy in it and is fairly higher in protein for grass hay. And we get it for around $100 a ton most years. Our growing season is so short at this altitude that there is only one cutting so I buy mine for the whole year around the first of August. There are about 26 bales to a ton so we are paying about $4 for a 75 lb. square bale.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back