Cost of Grass Hay around the nation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our hay guy grows his orchard grass in central Oregon (Madras) and charges $11-12 per 100+ lb., 3-string bale. We would pay less if we could buy by the ton AND he would deliver, but we have limited storage.

He is out until May, so for now we're paying $18 per 120 lb, orchard grass bale

We aldo buy local grass hay for $3-4 per 50 lb. bale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, some of you are getting some amazing prices.

I filled my barn back in November with alfalfa/orchard grass mix that I paid $14.00 per 75lb bale. I didn't have the minis then or I'd have gotten the straight orchard that was then selling for $16.25. I looked at the price board the other day when I was picking up my LMF bagged feed and noticed the feed store now has 3 strand orchard grass bales listed at $19.25/bale and the bales are supposed to be over 100 lbs.

If I'm lucky, I'll get some local grass from a co-worker in May or June for $4.50/bale, out of the field. I LOVE his hay. I can feed it in unlimited quantities and then rely on my bagged supplement for balancing the nutrition.

I am very fortunate to have Excellent prairie grass hay grown around me here on the Hilliard Flats in Southwest Wyoming. It has timothy in it and is fairly higher in protein for grass hay. And we get it for around $100 a ton most years. Our growing season is so short at this altitude that there is only one cutting so I buy mine for the whole year around the first of August. There are about 26 bales to a ton so we are paying about $4 for a 75 lb. square bale.

Susan O.
Except for the grass type, our hay is about the same price per ton (and per bale, as they are about the size).

We mostly have smooth brome and crested wheatgrass hay available, but there are a few other assorted type; although grass can be hard to find as we are in cattle country, so more alfalfa hay is put up.

Edited to add; I've seen Susan's hay, and I'd love to be able to get it for my horses, but they seem to do well on our local hay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back