Cosmetic Surgery - Really?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I admit I can be naive at times, but this has been bugging me for a while now. Are there some minis that have been surgically altered for show purposes?

I had a trainer said to me once while looking through either the Journal or MHW "oh, that horse has been altered" and she talked about how a tendon or muscle or something could be cut in the neck to give more of an arch. Is that possible? Do people to that?

Also, some websites I've visited say things like "none of our horses have been surgically altered to enhance conformation..."

So, WITHOUT naming names, are there some people who have surgeries performed to change something conformation-wise in their horses? I have no doubt that it's possible, but do people really do it?

Maybe this is too sensitve to even discuss, but I'm sure hoping someone tells me that the trainer was mistaken and this doesn't happen. :no:

Last edited:
So, WITHOUT naming names, are there some people who have surgeries performed to change something conformation-wise in their horses? I have no doubt that it's possible, but do people really do it?

Maybe this is too sensitve to even discuss, but I'm sure hoping someone tells me that the trainer was mistaken and this doesn't happen. :no:
I don't think you'll have too many 'fess' up to this. Did you see how heated it got just talking about sweating necks
default_torch.gif
: ?? I've also heard the 'rumors' of this and that , but personally I've never known anyone that did this that I know of. But I also wouldn't doubt that there are those that would in a heartbeat to have the advantage.

And believe me...if I had the cash, I'd get the plastic surgery for myself .

Yes I have also heard that horses noses where broken to make a nice dish for example.

I call that money people not horse people...
default_shutup.gif
:

Disgusting...

There are some in every crowd, huh. Helping a friend show western pleasure this year I learned more than I ever wanted to know. Thank goodness she takes the high road, but a trainer she took her horse to wanted her to "deaden" her mare's tail and inject her hocks. My friend just couldn't bring herself to put ribbons over reason and thank goodness. If I have to hurt my horse to win, I guess I'll stick to trail riding and enjoying my minis in the pasture.

Yes it has been done as I have seen some of the horses myself...... From what I hear, these thing are still being done - won't ever change! Anything to make a buck - to heck with honesty & integrity to the clients, customers & buyers involved ! :eek: :no:
default_wacko.png
:-

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very much opposed to invasive procedures such as liposuction and electric acupuncture to change neck shape. If we have to resort to these procedures to make show horses, then we are doing something wrong as breeders. JMHO

and she talked about how a tendon or muscle or something could be cut in the neck to give more of an arch.
- -- don't know if this is true or not but it does make one wonder. I've wondered often lately where all of a sudden all of these horses came from with such archy necks. We've had mini's since 86 & you just did not see that many. In the last few years they seem to be poping up everywhere - why so many so quickly. I don't think all of it has to do with breeding either - just look at some of the pictures in the MHW & on websites - don't look natural do they?...... My opinon - - dishonesty, deception, greed & thievery on the horse owners part!

" I've wondered often lately where all of a sudden all of these horses came from with such archy necks."

I've seen some of these in the magazines and my hubby calls them 'giraffe necked' . Mind you , he knows nothing about horses and has a totally unbiast eye, and he thinks they are ugly.

whoever said these people are money people, not horse people hit the nail on the head , IMO, anything for that all mighty dollar. Doesn't matter who you're decieving as long as the desired result justfies the means. (that's sarcasm)

I've wondered often lately where all of a sudden all of these horses came from with such archy necks.
OMGosh! I know! I have no doubt that some horses naturally have that - even minis, but some I see are overly exaggerated. On a couple I've looked into the pedigrees and at the pics of their sire/dams, grandsire/dams, etc. And there is NOTHING in the looks of any relatives that would have suggested you'd get a neck like that. Hmmm. :no:

If I have to hurt my horse to win, I guess I'll stick to trail riding and enjoying my minis in the pasture.
Amen to that! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

People should be BREEDING for the characteristics they want to see in their horses, NOT surgically altering horses to get the effect.
default_wacko.png
:

I think this is one reason why I hate to see so much emphasis being put on "hooky necks". I would rather see stress put on balanced conformation and structural correctness (including straight legs) which are a bit harder to alter.

I absolutely agree. Some of the pictures of stallions I have seen look like the giant snake in the Anaconda movie. I've seen some posted on here as well. Personally, they look way out of proportion. Many of the pictures are altered as well in the magazines. I have a western pleasure horse and we were told by a trainer we needed to get her tail nerved since she wouldn't keep hers laying flat. It's illegal in AQHA but is still done. We didn't do it to her, she just works with her tail cocked!

I know there was an Arabian (can't remember his name at the moment) that was DQ'd as his neck had been liposuctioned and he had surgery to make his eyes BIGGER. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I believe that both the owners and trainer were suspended for awhile but won't swear to that. :no:

Robin

I am not into showing and have never been to a show. But reading this makes me sick... :no: Who in their right minds would do this to a poor horse for that person to get"money"... I feel that they must only want money and don't truely love their horses...
default_wacko.png
: I could never do that to anything that I loved... So my two are not"show quality", but they sure are loved and would never be put threw that!!! What is wrong with the world today??? What happened to hard work and training? Anything for a buck...or to be"Better"... My two are better than those ones anyday... They are the way God meant them to be..
default_cheers.gif
:

yeah it happens. Shoot so many things Id like to say but im going to behave lol.

Just suffice to say it would never happen here. And I have never retouched a photo of my horses (only lightened some cus arenas are so dark)

We arent die hard show people. We show the little bit we can afford and for the most part do it all ourselves. I wont let some cheaters here and there run me out of showing.

The bad thing about all this is people who dont go to shows dont realize who these people are and alot of these people are looked up to and admired.

My stallion Lotto looks great in his Liz pics. That was him on that day, the photos were NOT altered. And yes, he CAN hook his neck! He does not walk around with his neck hooked, but put a skunk on a stick like Liz did, and he'll do it. LOL! Just because she knows how to get a horse to pose and how to take photos does not mean the photos were altered.

I'm just saying.
default_yes.gif
: So please don't flame me. I'm proud of how my boy looked.

The thought of what some people do to horses and animals just to win makes me wanna puke.

I agree with Becky, we need to breed for the traits we desire. Achieving them cosmetically is not only cruel but, it will do nothing to improve upon their genes.

If some breeders or trainers are doing this and winning, it will do them little good in the long run, when they can not produce the same results genetically when it comes time to stand their champions at stud.

The historical stallions and mares of our breed became well known not because of their individual show records but, because they were able to consistantly pass on their traits to their offspring.

I am not into showing and have never been to a show. But reading this makes me sick... :no: Who in their right minds would do this to a poor horse for that person to get"money"... I feel that they must only want money and don't truely love their horses...
default_wacko.png
: I could never do that to anything that I loved... So my two are not"show quality", but they sure are loved and would never be put threw that!!! What is wrong with the world today??? What happened to hard work and training? Anything for a buck...or to be"Better"... My two are better than those ones anyday... They are the way God meant them to be..
default_cheers.gif
:
WELL SAID, AMEN :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I've heard these rumors, as many have, but I've never seen or heard of anyone actually doing this to a mini.

I do agree with Becky thought 100% - surgically altering a horse to enhance them - well we're not breeding good horses or that type of horse if that is what is required.

As for the photos in MHW - those are probably the best photos of the best horses you're likely to see. Anyone can attest to how stretchy hooky a neck can get when a horse is scared/interested in something. Those same horses do not always show that way in person or at a show. As for the more upright carriage, than in the past, look at the photos of how a horse was shown and alot of that is training, much is breeding though too.

Many breeders have been selecting for that upright neck, I know neck set, carriage and length are something I look very critically at in breeding horses.

This is one of our stallions Lucky Four Colorcard Miramax. His neck is not pencil thin, but he does have a long neck - as a weanling, clipped and photoed and last summer straight out of the pasture. It's truly gorgeous with some sweating too. His feature I can't get corrected a horribly mane that he loves to rub out! His coat is great, tail, but not his mane!

Miramax_rside_2004.JPG
miramax_lside_6-16-06.jpg

Latest posts

Back