Correction help for a knock kneed mini please.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adela

Reaction score
Will corrective hoof trimming help a knock kneed 6 month old mini? Both of his parents are straight legged, but he was born with his right leg turned in a bit. What can be done to try to fix this? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

What you need is help from a very good Vet, and Farrier. Together, they can look at your little guy, and figure exactly what angles will help him out, to get him as close to straigh as possible.

Usually, to bring the knees out, you would trim a bit more from the outside of the hoof, to bring the knees further apart. As this can be a pretty delicate "operation", like I said before, I would make sure the person doding this really knows what they are doing. Too much at once, and this little guy will become very sore, too little, and it doesn't help.

Find a vet that is willing to do some research. I know of 2 instances that a shot was given in the side of the growth plate needing to lengthen, in this case it would be the outside, and it encouraged growth on the side given. The result was a straight legged horse. One was a mini and one a large horse.

I will see if I can get more information out the the person who told me about it and get back to you. In the meantime see if your vet knows anything about it.

Thanks so much for the info!!

Latest posts

Back