Correct way to administer IcG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
I picked up some Seramune IcG-300 ml from our local vet in case one of the mares doesn't nurse. I was wondering if anyone here has used this and how you administered it. The lady at the vet's office said that for a miniature you just use half of it. Of course the bottle reads that there could be adverse reactions as with any serum
default_no.gif

One of the mares should be getting close to her due time per the prior owners. She has not made a bag yet but her vulva is drooping some and looks like it might be more open.

Thanks in advance for any advice
default_smile.png

Kristi

Berrett-Ranch

Please do not risk your foals life on that stuff. It is not the real thing. Its a huge waste of money and time. Foals that have failure to transfer have to have the real stuff and it has be tubed in by a vet. It also has to be preceeded by a blood test that has to be blood pulled from the neck.

I hate that they even sell that stuff as it gives people a false sense of security. If you look up old threads on here I had posted some reports that show it doesnt work and other forum members used it and found out it doesnt work.

Talk to your vet about this. I do agree with Kay that Seramune should not replace a plasma transfer. Instead, consider it an interim thing or a stop-gap to keep a foal from doing a nose dive until the vet can do an actual plasma transfer.

In answer to your original question, Seramune is given orally.

Please do not risk your foals life on that stuff. It is not the real thing. Its a huge waste of money and time. Foals that have failure to transfer have to have the real stuff and it has be tubed in by a vet. It also has to be preceeded by a blood test that has to be blood pulled from the neck.

I hate that they even sell that stuff as it gives people a false sense of security. If you look up old threads on here I had posted some reports that show it doesnt work and other forum members used it and found out it doesnt work.

New at this Forum, how do you search back topics?

I would like to say that my vet used Seramune on two of my foals in the past. He tubed them with it. It saved their lives in my opinion. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Pam

I have to say my vet has th esame feelings as Kay.

My vet and I had this conversation in the past, and as a boost or a jump start to get the foal going it may be beneficial (but karo or maple syrup will work too). As a substitute for colostrum or a plasma transfer.

I picked up some Seramune IcG-300 ml from our local vet in case one of the mares doesn't nurse. I was wondering if anyone here has used this and how you administered it. The lady at the vet's office said that for a miniature you just use half of it. Of course the bottle reads that there could be adverse reactions as with any serum
default_no.gif

One of the mares should be getting close to her due time per the prior owners. She has not made a bag yet but her vulva is drooping some and looks like it might be more open.

Thanks in advance for any advice
default_smile.png

Kristi

Berrett-Ranch
Little surprised that this was given out over the counter. Not typical for most Vet practices. Its IgG, not IcG.

I give it orally (either via ng tube or mixed with a bottle) at 12-18 hours after birth after an IgG blood test to allow me to know the levels (you would be surprised how often owners are sure the foal hadn't nursed or the mare was dry only to find out they were wrong). I doubt you would have great risk given that way.

The product can also be given IV, in that case reactions are not common, but more likely. Frankly if you're at that point you're in trouble any way.

I think the product is decent, but when you're dealing with Failure of Passive Transfer sadly outcomes are not consistent.

Dr Taylor

In 2008, we had a foal born and had to tube her. I had a fresh bottle of Seramune on hand because I'd planned to give this to all our foals as a safety net. However, due to this foal presenting dismature and having such a hard time at first, we had the vet out the following day (had been out the night of her birth and placed the tube). Because he placed the tube, I know the Saramune got into her and I gave her about 1/3 a bottle which "should" be plenty as she was tiny and a mini. Vet was out late the next morning and she failed the snap test so we had her get plasma via IV. Vet came out before the next 24 hours had elapsed to test and still not as strong a dot as we'd like, so we gave most of the balance of the plasma bag again via IV (it is okay to use 24 hours after thawing -- we did two transfusions from one bag). Vet out again (I guess that was farm call number 4 in like 3 days!) and then the snap test looked good.

Foal grew up just fine and healthy, but I know from our experience that night that the seramune did NOT work for her. After that experience, I worry that there are other owners who like me think that is a good safety net. From our own experience, I feel it can give owners a false sense of security.

Additionally, unless things have changed, there are (were?) two versions of Seramune. One that people can give orally, and one that vets adminster via IV.

Best of luck to everyone this foaling season and please know that the only way to be sure your foal got sufficient IcG is to perform a test no sooner than 12 hours (but w/in 24hrs) of the first time the foal nurses. The energy level and apparent health of the foal the first day or weeks is actually not an indication that the foal received enough through passive transfer and by the time the foal presents as ill, it is almost always too late to help. The snap tests are not that expensive to have performed and the plasma transfers, if needed, are not that bad, either at least through my vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never given Seramune, but if I had a mare/foal that wasn't nursing I'd have the vet out ASAP. Foals go downhill to quickly.

We give Foal Response to all foals in place of karo (which I have used to give the foal that energy boost), it's marketed as a colostrum supplement, but I like the probiotics, etc. We've had one incidence of foal heat diarrhea in four+ years since we started using it. I've given it through the first year to foals that have developed any intestinal issue (had a Mini vacuum one year with resulting diarrhea), and it worked wonderfully.

We'll also milk any mares and get colostrum in the foal, especially maidens using an UdderlyEZ which makes it much easier.

Latest posts

Back