Coonhounds?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well today I meant a redbone coonhound and I think it's the first one coonhound I've ever met. The certainly are not common up here in my area of the Pacific Northwest of Canada. I have always admired this breed but never really have known much about them, other than casual reading of the breed. After meeting this coonhound I am in love. Her owner had a lot of great information and felt there wasn't anything bad about the breed.

I know there's at least a few people on here who own coonhounds and I was just wondering if it's possible for you to tell me about them. I am having a lot of trouble finding information on the breed, and I have so far only found one breeder in Canada but their on the east coast. There doesn't appear to be any breed clubs that I can find either. So basically any information would be much appreciated! Oh and pictures too! Doesn't have to be a redbone coonhound, just any coonhound!

As a kid my friends dad raised them...I dont think anyone on Cape Cod had ever seen one until he started raising them. It seemed like they were always putting pictures of his dogs in the paper...dont ask me why. I just remember how soft their ears were when the were puppies and I loved the black and brown coloring. I do remember them always howling at night ...we could hear them way down the street and when ever they got loose it always took forever to go round them up...theirs, I know, used to love to run!!

My dad had coon hounds when I was a kid. He had a redbone and a bluetick. I don't remember which one Sadie was but, when we moved from our little farm area into a city lot he kept Sadie. She was not house borke so he made a pen in the back yard. The first weekend we lived there Sadie jumped the fence and was running down the road barking with that Bawl that they do. He placed her with someone that had space for her.

They are really common in the midwest US. We get a lot of them in our rescue here in Iowa, along with a lot of GSH's. We get the strays, so I think a lot of times they are hunting dogs that are not any good at what they do so their owners don't try very hard to track them down.

Currently we've got Reggie - http://www.wesavepets.com/animals/detail?AnimalID=1465007. I'm not sure if his link will show up right now -he's on hold because he got away from his foster home with the redbone coonhound they fostered and then adopted and were gone 2 weeks. Reggie came back skin and bones.

So -that's one thing about them - like all hounds they WILL follow their nose when given the chance. The ones we have gotten don't do well in the shelter environment, usually a lot of obnoxious hound barking out of them. I find this strange because a lot of people I know that have them do kennel them outside with other dogs.

They can be reallly laid back/cuddly/soulful when kept as inside dogs. Some of them, like a lot of hounds, do tend to have that more oily coat that can sometimes have a bit of a smell to it.

A lady also contacted us recently about a black/tan female coonhound that she'd like to place in a good home as she won't hunt and that's what husband wanted her for. Too bad you weren't closer to Iowa
default_smile.png
!

You gotta love a hound. While I don't have a coon hound I do have a bloodhound. He has been house raised and is a wonderful dog. While it takes a little extra to keep a hound confined because of his nose he does really good. They are such sweet gentle dogs. My next hound will be the beautiful black and tan coon hound. Think I can only handle one hound at a time.

Arlene

they have been primarily a UKC breed until just recently.My significant other has owned Coonhounds for many years-he grew up with them.His favorite is the Redbone.They are high energy scent hunting dogs and need lots of room to run.They are very loud since hunters need to be able to hear them in the woods when they tree the racoon.You will learn lots if you can find the movie Where The Red Fern Grows, Nice story about 2 Redbone Coonhounds.There are lots of them here in Delaware.Most of the Coonhound breeds here in this country come from the English Foxhound crossed with other hound breeds. The Black and Tan, Walker, Bluetick, and English Redtick are a few of the breeds of Coonhounds.We have only 1 who is real laid back.The rest are high energy and always on the go.Most people around here keep them on chains or in a kennel with a covered top since they can climb almost like a cat.There is a UKC registry office and several magazines-I'm sure you can google to find out more info.

I'm owned by a bluetick. Baylee is my second hound. My first, Seneca, was one of the most laid back dogs I've ever been around. It could be 100 degrees outside and Seneca would be taking her nap in the middle of the yard in full sun. She was a black bluetick. Meaning she was almost solid black with just a little ticking on her face and the tip of her tail. We lost her at 12. She's the one on the right....not real happy about the antlers.

sennycitori.jpg

Baylee on the other hand is high energy most of the time. She loves to run and hunt and bay. She likes to tree the neighbors cat. Yes, they are very loud. God gave them a good set of lungs. She is a spoiled rotten girl though that has to sleep with Momma, as close to me as she can get. Typically she climbs in bed and lays down on me and slides off. She's my love bug for sure.

They are very smart dogs. Baylee rings a bell when she needs to go outside....but learned if she rings the bell momma gets up.......now she runs to the pantry where the cookies are........
default_rolleyes.gif

Baylee is a big girl. She weighs in at about 90#. She's as big as all her brothers and makes her sister look tiny.

Baylee as a pup.

baylee07.jpg

As a yearling

baylee17.jpg

This past summer as a 3 yr old

baylee24.jpg

She's actually "baying" here

baylee31.jpg

Can I have some....please?

baylee30.jpg

Comforting Dave after we lost our Cammy

baylee26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom's aunt Nancy had a blue tick hound years ago. Someone had given the dog to a friend of hers; the friend didn't want the dog so passed it on to Nancy, who was NOT equipped to handle and keep the dog. She had her just long enough for the dog to chew the legs off half the dressers and chairs in the house!! The dog ended up being taken to the vet clinic and was given away to someone else....who was promptly gifted with 11 puppies from her!
default_laugh.png
When we took the dog to the vet and asked him to rehome her we had no idea that she was in the family way.

Thanks for all the replies keep them coming!!! Any dog I get will be a house dog and we're very active hiking lots with the dogs going everywhere with us. Absolutely our dogs are members of our family. We have an alaskan malamute cross now so I know about vocal dogs! She doesn't bark normally, unless needed but oh does she ever talk to you! haha. We get a lot of "woooo wooo wooos".

I'm loving all the information so keep it coming thanks again!

I remembered something this morning about Seneca. Hubby likes to teach our dogs to stay close when we go out on walks, especially if they are running off leash (yes, there are still places you can do this). We took Seneca out behind our house where there was lots of wide open spaces. We took her and Citori's (GSP) leashes off and they ran around a little. Seneca ignored us so Hubby said to duck down behind a wall so they couldn't see us and within a few seconds/minutes they would start looking for us. OK...Citori did and found us....Seneca.......is on a trail, her nose about 6" off the ground and she is the "puppy trot" going out of sight. "Don't worry she'll turn around soon"....nope! She went out of sight. We spent 3 hours looking for the goof. I had trained her to come to a special whistle and I just kept trying that. We found her about 2 hours after dark and she came running at that point.

Lesson learned....Hounds aren't like all other dogs. Their nose is very powerful and they follow it first. Probably the reason so many hounds are found wandering around with the woods with no humans anywhere to be found.

I've known several people here that had hounds- Blueticks, Redbones, Black and Tans, Walkers, etc.... Personally, you couldnt give me one. My husband insisted on having several MANY years ago when we were married. I noticed they are noisy, sometimes destructive and yes, LOVE to roam. They had no problems killing chickens, cats and other things when they got out. They didnt seem to be the brightest crayons in the box either. They are great for running miles and hunting (if they dont go off on a deer or rabbit or other stuff) but be prepared to have to run some of them down. They seem to be 'hard of hearing' also- or let's say, they have 'selective hearing'.
default_wink.png

I am sure there are many people out there who just love them for some strange reason, but I don't ever want to see another one.

Did you happen to check out Mona's thread about the "care package" Santa sent? It's a coonhound! And she's beautiful!

Once she's healthy, Mona says she's going to look for a good home for her........

Latest posts

Back