Converting a van for mini transport

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilli's Mum

Reaction score
I don't want to go back to having a big 4WD and float because most of my driving is not horse related but i would like to have a small vehicle to take my little girl out to different places occasionally and once she is in harness, take her and the vehicle to the local harness club training days.

Many years ago I saw someone at a show who had a van with the back converted for two minis. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or seen it done (pics would be great!)?

The type of van I mean is something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-Dodge-...1QQcmdZViewItem

One of my clients carries 3 in the back of her mini van and has for years.

Be happy to send you her email address if you like.

There was a gal who used to have mini`s, now into boer goats...she had a van like that converted into hauling mini`s and her hubby lined the back with plywood and I forget just how she did the front part..if you email me privately I can connect you with her.

I have a van that I want to fix up to haul one mini for nursing home visits and I have an idea how to do it..saw it done before, but haven`t gotten it done yet...using plywood cut into 4 squares to fit the back area ... then you put regular heavy duty hinges to hook them together. My plans were for 2 hinges on each end...and use a dowel to keep them together..hard to describe here.
default_wacko.png

I did bring home a small stallion this summer without anything..it was sort of a rescue thing, and he really needed something sturdy to brace himself on...even in slow turns...so heavy plywood 'box' that can come apart and lie flat for storage would have been just right.
default_yes.gif

I think Lisa - RuffnTuff, has done this to her van.........and she posted pictures of it once.

I have a MINI van that I use for transporting, but only for short trips and it requires someone to ride with me.

MA

We have had two different vans we used for hauling minis. They were both Ford E-150 vans, the first was a work van that had two seats in the front. We built a plywood box that would hold three horses, or more babies, with swingaway plywood dividers and a folding ramp similar to the one in the Toyota. We currently have a conversion van so it has four seats , also a ply wood box which holds two horses or more babies. I have used this to pick our stallion up in Texas for several years plus go to horse shows. The main difference is the ramp in our current van which slides under the ply wood box. Each van had enough room in front of the box to hold tack boxes etc. I have a friend who converted a mini van, ripped everything out behind the front seats, built a wood barrier, rubber mats, she only hauled one horse but it would probably fit two if they were smaller, hers is 32.00" and he loaded from the side. I love the van , you can see the horse, if it is hot their is AC and heat if it is cold, it does not smell as bad as you might think
default_rolleyes.gif

I converted a 15 passanger van. Now we used what we had around the house so it isnt fancy however it is practical (well for us)

We took out 2 of the back seats leaving the front seats and then 2 bench seats between us and the horses.

We made the whole thing removable (although not easily) only to be removed if never to be used for this again. I didnt want them to close to the side windows so they ride backwards there is space between there stall fronts and the back doors.

The ramp was tricky as it was steep the first time so back to the drawing board and we have the ramp to a step then up to the van.

It works well for all our horses even the 38 in ones - with windows open the smell isnt to bad
default_wink.png

There is something to be said for being able to keep an eye on them and ease of getting in and out of places

HOWEVER I WILL SAY IT IS NOT A SAFE WAY TO TRANSPORT ALL HORSES I have some I would NEVER transport in this van. If you have a flighty or spooky horse it can be very very dangerous IMO-

If I had it to do over again I would have gotten a 15 passenger size van with no windows along the side and an extended roof hmm like well like a dog grooming van. With more head space and no windows to worry about (of course vents with air flow in front of the horse area)I would be able to haul all of my horses with no worry even the more flighty ones.

We load the center horse first as the dividers swing a bit each direction so they walk straight in and turn around (kinda a squeeze but my 37.50 in gelding does it with no issue)

Then the others come up into the van ( I stay on the step) and then they walk in head away from where they are going and do a 1/2 pivot and back into there stalls. Sounds complicated but really takes just a couple minutes per horse and they off load straight out

000_0796.jpg

We have a Chevy passenger van that we use to haul our mini's around in. My hubby made a plywood "stall" with a heavy rubber liner on the floor of it( some of my pond liner actually) It fits behind the third row seat and holds 2 weanlings with plenty of room for moving about. If we took out the seats and added onto the stall I think that I could easliy get at least five full size mini's in there. My hubby made a nice ramp for them to load up , it works really well for us.

Somewhat off topic, but not far...

Where can you get those swing away dividers? I want to do a van too and possibly convert my 2 horse trailer to hold more, but can't find these dividers anywhere. Looks like someone would sell them, if not for replacement at any rate.

Any information appreciated!

That is a very good point. I cringe when I see people hauling with no stall and nothing to stop the horse from coming up even when slamming on the brakes..

we have I think it is called expanded metal (looks the same as my ramp) bolted to the seat in front of it and then a peice of plywood bolted to that so the horses are up against the plywood

Wow, that's great to see so many different ways of doing the conversion. Thanks for the pictures especially, I will definitely go this way!

Latest posts

Back