Conformation Research

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you're suppose to be leasing a pony from Arlene, why not ask for her advice. She is above qualified to give it.
I am sure Arlene would agree that knowledge is a good thing.
default_yes.gif
If she wants to buy a book what's the big deal? MDM buy what you feel is right for you to be able to educate yourself further. That's what I always do.

Take the time to research those that offer help or write books. Make sure that they have what you want that the horses they own appeal to you. I remember a few years back *Ok quite a few* someone who claimed to be a conformation expert was always passing on their *knowledge* to me.

Finally I went to see the horses the owned and was totally aghast. Obviously they did not know near as much as they thought they did or they would not own the horses they did and claim them to be great examples of the breed. :DOH!
default_unsure.png

There are many out there willing to help and if you are leasing a horse from Arlene and have her at your fingertips so to speak that is a great start for you!

Conformation is conformation and there are some differences in say a QH and Arabian and a Miniature horse. Minis have changed and continue to change so much so quickly that you really need to have a great idea of basic conformation before you can apply some of the mini wants and needs.

Find those that have winning horses their barns I personally would look for those who have won in very recent years. They do know what it takes and what changes have been made. The truth is horses that could compete just 2-3 years ago are no longer what is being looked for in the Halter ring of today in many cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're suppose to be leasing a pony from Arlene, why not ask for her advice. She is above qualified to give it.
I am sure Arlene would agree that knowledge is a good thing.
default_yes.gif
If she wants to buy a book what's the big deal? MDM buy what you feel is right for you to be able to educate yourself further. That's what I always do.

You're right, what's the big deal. IF this girl is going to buy something she should buy something that she will get her moneys worth out of.

I would caution AGAINST going too much by what is winning' 'this year' in the halter ring, and especially against basing your judgements on statements about 'how quickly the horses are changing'....in my judgement, after over 55 concentrated years with horses (and I have owned and/or ridden...grade, ponies, pacing horses, QH, Pinto, Paint, Arabian, Missouri Fox Trotter, Paso Fino, Peruvian Paso, donkey, and mule),it is vital to always keep in mind that TRUE evolution toward 'more perfect' aspects of conformation rightfully should happen gradually, always keeping an eye on the OVERALL equine.

If you want a BAD example of what can and does happen when people begin to focus on separated aspects of conformation, you have ONLY to look to today's QH 'halter' show ring. They have created MONSTERS who can hardly MOVE, cannot perform as an athlete, and can seldom stay sound. Yes, many have "LOVELY" long necks, short ears, 'pretty' heads, and HUMONGOUS REAR ENDS;sometimes even nicely laid-back shoulders(that in no way match the angles of their pasterns,which they should closely approximate)...they also frequently have post hind legs, crooked front legs, straight pasterns, feet that are WAY too small....I find them PITIFUL, and the fact that the AQHA has 'moved' in this direction, for the very horses that are supposed to personify "ideal conformation", in the breed that was ALWAYS touted as the 'all-around western using horse", especially pitiful and very sad.

It is correct to say--conformation is conformation, in a horse of any size. I believe it is important to remember that light horse breeds do differ in certain conformational aspects of what is considered both 'correct' and 'desirable' from draft breeds, but overall, MANY if not MOST features of correct conformation are pretty universal.

So, yes, do make use of some good, universal, conformation studies/books--you will find them very informative!

Margo

I would caution AGAINST going too much by what is winning' 'this year' in the halter ring, and especially against basing your judgements on statements about 'how quickly the horses are changing'....in my judgement, after over 55 concentrated years with horses (and I have owned and/or ridden...grade, ponies, pacing horses, QH, Pinto, Paint, Arabian, Missouri Fox Trotter, Paso Fino, Peruvian Paso, donkey, and mule),it is vital to always keep in mind that TRUE evolution toward 'more perfect' aspects of conformation rightfully should happen gradually, always keeping an eye on the OVERALL equine.
If you want a BAD example of what can and does happen when people begin to focus on separated aspects of conformation, you have ONLY to look to today's QH 'halter' show ring. They have created MONSTERS who can hardly MOVE, cannot perform as an athlete, and can seldom stay sound. Yes, many have "LOVELY" long necks, short ears, 'pretty' heads, and HUMONGOUS REAR ENDS;sometimes even nicely laid-back shoulders(that in no way match the angles of their pasterns,which they should closely approximate)...they also frequently have post hind legs, crooked front legs, straight pasterns, feet that are WAY too small....I find them PITIFUL, and the fact that the AQHA has 'moved' in this direction, for the very horses that are supposed to personify "ideal conformation", in the breed that was ALWAYS touted as the 'all-around western using horse", especially pitiful and very sad.

It is correct to say--conformation is conformation, in a horse of any size. I believe it is important to remember that light horse breeds do differ in certain conformational aspects of what is considered both 'correct' and 'desirable' from draft breeds, but overall, MANY if not MOST features of correct conformation are pretty universal.

So, yes, do make use of some good, universal, conformation studies/books--you will find them very informative!

Margo
Margo I so agree! My sister is into QH's and I about died when I saw what was winning last year. They did look "different" for lack of a better word. One I saw I made a comment that if she was in water and all you could see was her head, neck and haunches she would have looked like the Loch Nest monster. She was odd looking but did very well in placings.

There's no need to argue or get hasty guys
default_no.gif
, I'm not looking to buy a horse right now I'm trying to learn conformation BEFORE I even consider looking to buy a horse. Yes I look forward to working with Arlene and her amazing little gelding
default_smile.png

I'm also not "buying" books lol, I just go to our local libraries (sp?) and see what I can find. No wasting money or anything, then I simply take notes.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many tools available for folks to learn about the miniature horse and I advise they use everything available to them. I personally use the rulebook and then compare the standard of perfection listed there to as many pictures on websites, magazines that I can. And of course pictures as we all know can be deceiving so I like to see in person at shows, parades or anywhere else that I can see them. Yes, MDM is leasing a gelding from me so I certainly will help her in any way that I can and will be available to her, however, mine is only one opinion.

Arlene

There are many tools available for folks to learn about the miniature horse and I advise they use everything available to them. I personally use the rulebook and then compare the standard of perfection listed there to as many pictures on websites, magazines that I can. And of course pictures as we all know can be deceiving so I like to see in person at shows, parades or anywhere else that I can see them. Yes, MDM is leasing a gelding from me so I certainly will help her in any way that I can and will be available to her, however, mine is only one opinion.
Arlene
Thank you Arlene, I value your opinion very much so and would love your help with Scout
default_saludando.gif

Arlene
Oh Arlene, my horse show Mommy! YOUR opinions are highly valued.

Latest posts

Back