Conformation Research

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDMminis

Reaction score
Anybody have any websites, or book suggestions on researching Miniature horse conformation? I'm trying to learn more than just the basics
default_laugh.png
. I know people suggest full horse conformation books, but I find it confuzing trying to picture them in miniature size
default_wacko.png
. As it is very clear miniature people look for a lot different things In a miniature than big horse owners do. So I was wondering If anybody had some web links or any book idea's on researching conformation. Possibly places with pictures lol, do puzzle things In. Any help Is greatly needed
default_wink.png

Honestly, the best thing you can do is look at the horses that are winning (in todays day) National titles and national grands....go to the websites of those farms who are winning those big titles and look at the horses they are winning with and eye the traits. Try to model that in what you look for in prospects...there are some good books out there but that is my preference for learning conformation.

Also, i love sitting up in the stands watching the halter classes and breaking the horses apart as they stand presented in the ring and then seeing the judges placement.

To me, that is the best way to learn...

Honestly, the best thing you can do is look at the horses that are winning (in todays day) National titles and national grands....go to the websites of those farms who are winning those big titles and look at the horses they are winning with and eye the traits. Try to model that in what you look for in prospects...there are some good books out there but that is my preference for learning conformation.
Also, i love sitting up in the stands watching the halter classes and breaking the horses apart as they stand presented in the ring and then seeing the judges placement.

To me, that is the best way to learn...

Sadly with 2009 show season around the corner and my lack of knowledge of how shows worked and where they were etc. I never got much first hand experience, so I'm relying on pure research online or book-wise to help me. I don't want to go In looking clueless and trying to copy everybody else, due to not knowing what I'm doing. If I had more help before-hand I think I'd be A LOT more knowledged. I tend to be a fast learner
default_laugh.png
. Right now I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, and then play It safe and not be so over-drilled and nervous about showing. Due to the fact I have little or not as much information as the other handlers
default_sad.png

Our very own KayKay (Kay Baxter) here on the forum wrote a nice book on miniature horse conformation: "Miniature Horse Conformation - What to Look for & What to Avoid" it comes with a slide show on disk.

You can order it through Small Horse Press: http://www.smallhorse.com/eStores/BookStore/index.shtml (the conformation book is like the second one down). Small Horse Press has lots of books and videos featuring miniature horses.

Thanks so much for the kind words Chanda! All profits from the book are going to CMHR.

MDM what you commented on is why we put so many pictures in the book so that people could see this in relation to a miniature horse. Most of the pictures were donated by members of Lb which I am really greatful for !

Kay

Is a miniature horse not suppose to be a full size horse in miniature? So, why would you NOT look at a full size horse conformation book? Even John Eberth says get yourself a full size conformation book.

There are plenty of web sites out there that have information on conformation.

Go look at successful miniature horse breeders, look at / study what they are producing, showing, and winning with.

Is a miniature horse not suppose to be a full size horse in miniature? So, why would you NOT look at a full size horse conformation book? Even John Eberth says get yourself a full size conformation book.There are plenty of web sites out there that have information on conformation.

Go look at successful miniature horse breeders, look at / study what they are producing, showing, and winning with.
I understand that, but many people on her have VERY different goals than those who own quarter horses and arabians etc. Such as miniature should be more refined, while a QH that were to show halter should be as big as bull dog. Big difference, and the table topline doesn't really work with them. Nor does the thin neck, or thin long legs
default_smile.png
. So I can't really grasp the thought of idealizing the two as my focus on learning miniature horse conformation to be able to look for a more successful show horse in the future
default_no.gif

When you look at conformation books on big horses, they use all different types of breeds. There isn't a conformation book JUST for Quarter Horse, JUST for Arabians, JUST for Morgans. The bottom lines are the same, they provide conformation information on how to look at the shoulder angles, are legs straight or not, if not why? Is the horse over at the knee? If so, what does that mean? How to tell if the horse is cow hocked, sickle hocked. Is so, what does that mean. If not what does that mean. IS the horse ewe necked, short necked? Is the horse balanced. Is the length of the neck in relation to the length of the back? Is the hip strong or weak? How about a real good conformation book that not only teaches good conformation but form to function as well?

If you like the arab type over the quarter type, once you have the conformation aspect down, they breed towards a specific type. BUT breed it correctly!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you look at conformation books on big horses, they use all different types of breeds. There isn't a conformation book JUST for Quarter Horse, JUST for Arabians, JUST for Morgans. The bottom lines are the same, they provide conformation information on how to look at the shoulder angles, are legs straight or not, if not why? Is the horse over at the knee? If so, what does that mean? How to tell if the horse is cow hocked, sickle hocked. Is so, what does that mean. If not what does that mean. IS the horse ewe necked, short necked? Is the horse balanced. Is the length of the neck in relation to the length of the back? Is the hip strong or weak? How about a real good conformation book that not only teaches good conformation but form to function as well?
If you like the arab type over the quarter type, once you have the conformation aspect down, they breed towards a specific type. BUT breed it correctly!
I already know about the short neck, topline, cow hocked, sickle hocked. All of that but I'm still learning on the shoulder angles. So by knowing this from a bigger horses view, your saying I basically know good miniature conformation??? There's nothing actually specific In a miniature as far as conformation I should be looking for, In difference from say an Arabian??

Conformation is conformation, be it a big horse or a Mini. There are some really excellent conformation books on the market. They don't talk about breed types, they talk about conformation....and form to function. A good conformation book will help you to identify conformation faults and strengths, and then they will explain the problems associated with those faults. Regardless if you like a horse to have a level croup or a more rounded croup...you need to know how to identify (for example) a long hip and a strong stifle. Once you know what makes good hindquarter conformation, then you can look for a horse that has that good hindquarter conformation as well as the type ("look") you prefer.

I grew up with big horses--we owned primarily Morgans, but I've worked with Arabs, TBs, QHs, ponies and Saddlebreds--I have a variety of conformation books, all of which are "generic" as far as conformation--none of them deal specifically with any one breed. Some of them do make comparisons of different breeds...for instance, reference is made to the conformation traits that make a fast trot on a Standardbred as compared to the conformation traits that make a TB race horse gallop fast...shoulder conformation of a high stepping horse such as a Saddlebred or Morgan as compared to the shoulder conformation of a warmblood...having spent so many years around big horses and learning all about their conformation and how that conformation affects their performance, I definitely know now what to look for in conformation in the Minis. I've had no need to go & buy any Mini conformation books to learn Mini conformation. A good horse is a good horse, whether it is big or small.

Just my 2 cents worth but these are the exact words Sheryl told me over a year ago. And by listening and learning from her I've gotten much better at choosing my horses. Sheryl knows her stuff.
default_yes.gif
She hasn't steered me wrong yet. I've been able to improve my herd with information she sometimes had to knock in my head. But it's there now and I'm very happy with my show string.
default_biggrin.png
I'm also much better at seeing confirmation issues with the larger horses due to her explanations. Sometimes the books not really the answer.

Ok I will just see If I can find any books at the library as there seem to be a few detailed one's I found online. I'll also try and pick up a copy of Kay's horse conformation book. Then see how that works. Thanks for the information
default_saludando.gif

Our very own KayKay (Kay Baxter) here on the forum wrote a nice book on miniature horse conformation: "Miniature Horse Conformation - What to Look for & What to Avoid" it comes with a slide show on disk.

Yeah, love that horse on the cover. Just went outside and tucked him into bed.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Gary

I have a pretty good Conformation book with good pictures and lots of discription. yes, its primarily full-size horses, but the pictures of the faults are great.

"Conformation and Performance - A guide to the performance consequences of common conformation points" by Nancy S Loving DVM. Its from Breakthrough publishing.

LOL Gary that horse is amazing! When we had to pick a horse for the cover I knew it had to be Lightening!

Im a big believer in learning everything you can from everywhere (and everyone) you can. Read several books, watch videos, pick peoples brains when you see them or are around them.

MDM its a lot to take in when you are new to showing, picking horses etc. It can be overwhelming. Just remember to have fun along the way.

I would echo what some others have already said.

Good conformation is good conformation and good miniature horse conformation is no different than good full size horse conformation. A nice, comprehensive book on general horse conformation will serve you well.

The curve ball, if there is one, has to do with type.

What I think has helped me to improve the quality of my herd has been to get out there and show, and honestly stand back and look at what is doing well in the ring. Then, very thankfully, I've been blessed to have a good friendship with a mentor who has given me valuable advice over the years. She is someone who is consistently, year after year, bringing home National championships on horses she's bred. Very knowledgable and with a gift for explaining things in a way that's easy to understand and remember.

There's not a shortage of people willing to give advice about how to select a miniature horse and what to look for, be that here, privately, at shows, in books, etc. However, not everyone is equally qualified. When it comes to taking mini horse advice to heart, I'd look at what the person has accomplished in the show ring and with their breeding program before deciding how much of my heart to hang on their advice. Anyone can say what "you should do", even if they haven't actually known what they themselves should do to
default_biggrin.png

If you can get your mind around good basic conformation and then for the type, look close at the breeders and farms who do consistently well at the National level, you will be on your way to identifying quality in miniature horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's pretty nifty that there is a conformation book for the minis. I really can't see why having one over conformation any different then the other books over driving minis, obstacle with minis etc. It is nice to have a book that pertains to the miniatures since that is what we have. ALSO, I believe it is a must to see what is excepted in miniatures of today since they have come a long way and "evolved" into what we recognize them as. Balance is a deffinate of every horse but look at what is exceptable and desired for Quarter Horses. They love for them to have high haunches. Now how would that do in our mini shows? Eh, I don't think so well.

I say buy the mini conformation book since that is what we have, minis, and the proceeds go to the rescue.

I think it's pretty nifty that there is a conformation book for the minis. I really can't see why having one over conformation any different then the other books over driving minis, obstacle with minis etc. It is nice to have a book that pertains to the miniatures since that is what we have. ALSO, I believe it is a must to see what is excepted in miniatures of today since they have come a long way and "evolved" into what we recognize them as. Balance is a deffinate of every horse but look at what is exceptable and desired for Quarter Horses. They love for them to have high haunches. Now how would that do in our mini shows? Eh, I don't think so well.
I say buy the mini conformation book since that is what we have, minis, and the proceeds go to the rescue.
Thats what I thought, you guys look for different things In the ring with miniatures than you would a quarter horse? But I can still get a few full size horse conformation books, and puzzle In as much from that as I can. I'm also researching breeders with Hall Of Fame horses, Grand and National Champions etc
default_smile.png

Since you're suppose to be leasing a pony from Arlene, why not ask for her advice. She is above qualified to give it.

Latest posts

Back