Concerned about Mini and intestinal issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christyinco

Reaction score
I've had my mini for about a year (he's a yearling) and about a month ago his abdomen seemed to get quite large and he has had diarrhea on and off (his stool is normal, but has a leaky, very watery manure that just runs out randomly). Clearly, there is some digestive upset.

He has been on pasture most of the summer and started eating some hay more recently, though not much and is still out on pasture - where he gets majority of his forage. I've not had problems until now and not sure if a call to the vet is necessary.

Any thoughts? I haven't gotten the hay tested yet - though it's just grass hay. He gets lots of exercise as we have many acres he can roam with the other horses.

Tonight I gave him a dose of Bio-Sponge to try and help with the gut/diarrhea.

Is he up to date on deworming? Any chance he could be having problems with sand in his gut? [Do you live on sandy soil?] What kind of hay does he get? Anything else in his diet?

I did a double dose worming on him 2 months ago. Sand could be an issue - it's possible. He's on pasture (native grasses) and gets ProAdvantage Progressive Grass Formula as a supplement and for the protein content. I also have an Equilix and white salt block out for all the horses. I've also wondered if he's getting too many supplements.

It is possible that he is over doing the salt. It sounds to me like you are feeding him a good diet so if it isn't the salt then I agree with chandab and JMS, sounds like he may need a fecal test done to confirm his worm load and check for sand. Also (having had a problem here myself) you might check his pasture for something new growing or something growing in larger amounts that he could be eating that could bother him.

How much protein is in the supplement? Weanlings and yearlings need a higher protein diet than mature horses, and my first thought is he might need more protein in his diet based on his age.

The first thing I do for any diarrhea is a plain jane JUST hay diet. No probios, unlimited water, no electrolytes unless they're looking rough, no grain, no grass, just hay. When the diarrhea stops, start slowly adding stuff back in and give a dose of probios.

I would get a fecal done, then maybe cool off on the supplements as you are suspecting that's an issue. All the babies I've ever raised have been healthy and strong on good hay and good pasture.

Well - this is some great feedback, however, now I'm more confused! Should I just go hay (in the process of getting that tested) or just leave him on pasture - where he's done well before and up his protein? I actually backed off on his supplement (for protein mostly, vitamins/minerals) to give his system a rest and just do forage (he has an Equilix out there and a plain white salt block). Maybe that's backwards thinking. I've checked for sand and don't see any problems there. It's been 8 weeks since his Power Dose was done - so will probably get a fecal before jumping the gun on deworming. Another possibility is to forgo to Progressive pellets and add in the add'l protein with alfalfa.

Now, it could just be he's getting fat since he quit growing so much. Maybe time to paddock him and control the hay. See what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Progressive product are you feeding and how much? What kind of hay?

ProAdvantage Grass Forumla - 1 lb. /day

w/ 2oz. Equipride

Native grass pasture

Grass hay (brome mix)

Not sure how big your mini is, but for a growing mini, that sounds like it's within the range of how much grass formula to feed a yearling (once adult, he'll only need about 1/2#). Usually brome is a good hay for horses, I know mine like it and do pretty good on it. I'm not sure what Equipride is, but nothing needs to be added to PN grass formula.

I, too, have had issues with diarrhea in a couple of my 4 yearlings from last year. The one is much younger, but has turned a full year old the end of August.

You can use Biosponge to help dry up the bowels some - you could check with your vet on that. I've used both Pepto (human type) and a Pepto like product made for horses to help w/ drying up the manure. The "new yearling" - got this along with some alfalfa pellets added to his feed - served wet. None of our local feed stores had any biosponge - the arrival time wasn't worth waiting for. I haven't ordered any yet. Getting ready to order vaccines - may order some then.

Here in NC - the weather this year (ALL of 2014) has been really wonky! Right now, both the locally cut hays and the pastures are taking serious hits from the up & down changes in the weather - amazingly high sugar content right now. The horses' systems also go "crazy" when it's like this. I think that may be part of what affects some of them (but not all).

Our ponies/horses don't do well on the Brome grasses (by themselves) grown here. Not sure what the differences are? But they don't do well on Timothy either (considered by many here to be much better than the locally produced (as in the whole state of NC) coastal/bermuda hay. I'm not familiar with the other supplements that you are feeding - so no help there.

Yes (from other post) you should be able to switch him from pasture to hay - especially since you are already feeding hay to him.

We treat yearlings like adolescent humans...They are growing and need extra "stuff", ie. vitamins, minerals, protein.

However, we also try to keep our feeding program simple. Ours are on some pasture and get grass hay, plus grain that

contains added vitamins and minerals.

It's rare, but when we have loose poop we also use Pepto (adult dose) because bio-sponge is hard to get here.

We also do the Touch Test for weight, not just a visual. Run your hands down the horse's back bone and along its sides

where the ribs are....If you feel bone without pressure, the belly you see isn't because he's fat, but from something else.

You want to have to apply some pressure to feel bones....If you DON'T feel the bone even with pressure, then you have

a fat issue.

Agree to just keep it simple. All these extra supplements just sounds a bit munch. I would fine a good mineral tub, I personally like the Pro-Vita-Min tubs by ADM. My horses that are just on pasture or hay lick this tub like candy, however if they are getting grained and get everything from the grain they hardly lick it. Since your guy is a yearling consider giving him a junior feed.

If he is getting a large belly it could mean he is wormy but considering you have dewormed do the fecal test first and that will also rule out sand, or he isn't getting enough nutrition and then I would for sure consider feeding him a junior feed and consider doing a mineral bucket.

Latest posts

Back