Companion animals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champ

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a companion animal for my mini who lives alone, he doesn't really get along with other minis... what would you get, chicken, goat, sheep, barn cat etc.?

And for those who have companion animals what do you have and why?
default_smile.png

I've never had a horse who doesn't get along with other horses across the board, but some individuals who do not get along with each other.

I'd probably try a dehorned goat for a companion.

Ditto what Jill said..........young DEHORNED goat. Goats are also a herd animal like a horse is, so they are often used as companion animals for horses.

Just make sure your fencing is "goat-proof".

MA

Just also, I think the expression "Got Your Goat" comes from the fact that goats used to (still do???) keep race horses company in their stalls and some rivals would try and sabotage competitors but stealing goats which would distress the horse enough that he/she wasn't at top performace :bgrin

I have to say, after owning de-horned Nigerian Dwarf Goats for several years, these critters are wonderful to allow co-habitation around the minis.. Every now and then I'll bring in a new mini that thinks he or she needs to run them off, and my goats can out manuver them til they give up, and finnally accept them as a pasture mate. Often I will see them out grazing the pasture right next to the minis.

I never have had problems with these goats chewing horse tails, as theys dont grow past your knees, and do give respect to the horses space.

They are friendly, cute, and funny, and come in a variety of colors, and some with blue eyes too..
default_wub.png
:

( I have one black/white doe due to have babies this month)
default_yes.gif
:

I have 4 NDG's and mine DO chew horses tails and manes and the thing is, my horses do not share areas with the goats so this means in order to get their goat directed hair cuts, they stood at the common fenceline and let the goats do their work!!! Happily, it wasn't any of my show horses that this happened to.

thanks everyone for your suggestions, I think I'll check out the de-horned Nigerian Dwarf Goats, I'm going to visit one of the animal rescues in my area and see what they have and suggest.
default_smile.png

My mare Tweety has adopted one of the barn kitties as her own personal back warmer. She bites the rest of the cats. But allows harley to ride whenever she wants.

I am now the proud owner of 3 NDG's!

I, personally, would be too nervous to put my goats in with my minis. I have 2 very small mares but I just think around feeding time they would bully the goats. My goats are so passive and sweet btu love their morning grain!

One of my mares will cahse my dogs right out of the field and she gets excited and bucks and kicks in the air, she seems to have a great time but my Labrador is terrified. I would worry even in play she could hurt my goats.

I have recently adopted a barncat and she LOVES the horses, in particular the mare mentioned above and they seem to have a very special bond!

I am sure you could do it on a case by case basis....this is just my input!

Our racehorse used to have his own goat. It was a pygmy goat and old Pal used to sometimes pick him up by the horn! It became quite a game between the two of them.

Latest posts

Back