Colour Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsj

Reaction score
Hi there

I have seen lots of horses and ponies described as blue and white in the UK - what colour is the "blue" part? Is it grey or roan or what?

default_smile.png

Maria

in the uk blue and whiite usually refers to grey (not silver) and eventually the horse will be solid white in appearance

Yes, Blue and White means Grey. If the horse is Blue Roan and White that is what is said- unless of course they do not know that their Black (blue) Roan is, in fact, a Grey- which does actually seem to be more of an American fault.....
default_wink.png

Ive noticed that silver and grey are often confused too

Yes, Blue and White means Grey. If the horse is Blue Roan and White that is what is said- unless of course they do not know that their Black (blue) Roan is, in fact, a Grey- which does actually seem to be more of an American fault.....
default_wink.png

Ive noticed that silver and grey are often confused too
lol, now I'm confused,
default_wink.png
I've seen ponies/horses that appear piebald in photos referred to as blue and white, their summer coats though look dappled grey and white - so the blue patches are blue roan? I've seen a little riding pony for my son and he's described as blue and white (pony not child - is everyone confused now?), if we go to see him I expect I'll have a better idea ...
default_yes.gif
:yes

new_rofl.gif
Its fun being confused. In my day Blue was referred to roan as in black head and legs and grey coat in summer and black in winter but I have been in Italy for donkeys years so things might have changed.
blush.gif

new_rofl.gif
Its fun being confused. In my day Blue was referred to roan as in black head and legs and grey coat in summer and black in winter but I have been in Italy for donkeys years so things might have changed.
blush.gif
lol that seems right! I would post pics but he isn't mine - yet (evil laugh). No special breeding, just a shetland x and very inexpensive - but he seems nice for children. Then when I sell my stallion I can afford one for me to love on too!
default_wub.png

I think I have de-confused myself! So it could be called Blue roan pinto?

Latest posts

Back