Colour Experts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
We had a welsh pony foal born on Friday. The sire is black, the dam is gray. The foal looks like it will not gray out to me, as I see no white hairs on her muzzle, flanks or around her eyes. The woman who's kids come and ride says that this filly will gray out because she has lighter hairs on her belly and legs. I disagree, because as I explained to her the majority of black based gray foals are born an actual black, while black foals are born a mousy gray. Her two year old half sister is chestnut and hasn't started to gray out and this woman also thinks that that filly will gray out
default_rolleyes.gif
I would like to win this argument LOL! Tell me which of us is right - is she black or gray.

April192009001.jpg

It's hard to tell with that picture, with all the light reflecting off the foal's coat. (nice baby, btw!) I'm guessing that since you know the signs of graying, and you don't see them on this foal, it likely is not going to go gray. The lady who thinks that it will, and the 2 1/2 year old sister too, apparently thinks that ALL a gray's foals will gray out.
default_laugh.png

default_wub.png
:wub Congrats...he is beautiful!!! He looks black to me...just like my black arab did when he was born!!!
default_wink.png

I'm not sure xD he sure seems to have a lot of whiter hairs on his legs and belly, but then again usually greys have white around eyes and muzzle (like you said :D) Adorable either way
default_smile.png
Is a blue roan possible? My filly had a grey dam and black tobiano sire and she is a blue roan tobiano...so maybe? Who knows xD

Add: Very handsome daddy for sure
default_smile.png
I guess she'll be your little mystery until you know for sure :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not roan. The mother is gray, with I believe chestnut base and the sire is black with chrome.

This is her very handsome sire:

sky02.jpg

They aren't white hairs on her legs and belly, rather lighter gray. Her sire is also most likely Sabino. He has the white chin and chrome, but does not have the flecking.

smoke black ya i had a foal BORN RED BAY AND NOW HE IS BLACKER THAN ASHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE?!

Latest posts

Back