Calling all colour experts!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKMiniatures

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a mare that is stumping everybody here as to her colour... We will be looking at getting her tested and sending to the USA, but interested in people's thoughts.

Her sire is chestnut, roan ranger bred. So very like roan ranger. Her Dam, not quite sure exactly. Registered Brown, looked blacked sometimes, brown other times in photos. Showed some sabino traits. Her sire was chestnut sabino, and dam was black.

She has a dorsal stripe which goes right down back to tail. Shows cream traits. Not seem anything similar coloured from these breedings.

Thoughts? Photos are all in foal, heavily in foal, foal at foot, or just weaned, but used to show colour, at different times.

. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Diane from Castle Rock Miniatures maybe able to help you. She is very helpful to many on the marestare page.

She is a gorgeous looking pony . Best of luck with your question
default_yes.gif

The dam is probably some sort of smokey black and your mare looks like a dun. Im not very good at this but its fun to think about. Im sure there is someone on here who knows more and can help out.

Hard to tell from the pictures provided. She could be grulla or she could be smokey black. What's her name? And what are her sire and dam's names? I'll see if I can find more info on them
default_smile.png

This mare is not AMHA reg, the dam is by SG Blues Rapid Comet out of SG Sparkling Wind. Sire is by Roan Ranger out of SG Take a Wine Break. Those horses are all AMHA reg.

The two photos of the dam I have. Her foals were always nicer, but shows her colour, as aint the nicest images of her.

Her sire is just the Roan Ranger chestnut with some white hairs flecked thru. Which my mare has too.

Windsongs Blue Sparkler.jpg

W. Blues Sparkler.jpg

Do you know the names of the sire and dam?

Looks grulla to me, some call it blue dun.

Roan Ranger had those flicks of white in his coat as well.

She looks Black Dun- could be Smoky Black Dun, depending on what was behind the Black side of her pedigree. Roan Ranger, I think was Sabino not true Roan, not positive though.

Rabbit, you are correct that Roan Ranger was not a true roan he did not have the darker head and legs, but did have a sprinkling of white hairs on the body here and there. I believe he was considered solid.

I owned a relative of his that was solid chestnut and he had that sprinkling of white hairs on the rump and the same white mark on the face, but no tell-tale white chin or white anywhere else..

Is it possible the mare's mother was a black buckskin? Did you happen to notice the color of her eyes at birth? I had a foal that was a genetically impossible dun but after a DNA test was indeed a buckskin. Sometimes a parent horse is registered as the wrong color. A black buckskin sometimes is discovered because of the foal. It's really surprising when you breed what you think is a black to a chestnut and suddenly you have a palomino or buckskin. As for the dorsal stripe if it's not pronounced it's probably a buckskin not a dun. My colt's sire was what you would call a smutty palomino. The mare was bay. My colt had all the dun traits, mask, leg striping and a dorsal stripe. I had to send all kinds of samples to the registry for DNA testing to prove parentage. It will be hard to clear all the registries of mistakes until DNA testing is required. Visually there are some really tricky horses as you well know.

Rabbit, you are correct that Roan Ranger was not a true roan he did not have the darker head and legs, but did have a sprinkling of white hairs on the body here and there. I believe he was considered solid.

I owned a relative of his that was solid chestnut and he had that sprinkling of white hairs on the rump and the same white mark on the face, but no tell-tale white chin or white anywhere else..
My boy is sorrel with the white sprinkling throughout his entire coat with a cluster spot on his shoulders, but he is not a roan.

I think she is either smokey black or smokey silver black.

Latest posts

Back