Colosturm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittnblue

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

We had a lovely red and white filly out of our maiden mare this afternoon. The baby is havine a devil of a time finding the mare's teat. She sucks everywhere but where the grub is. I have milked the mare a bit and gave the filly some by syringe. How much does she need in the beginning and how long do I have to get it in her. I have given her maybe 20cc thus far and I'm guessing she about 3 1/2 hours old as she was born just before I got home.

Thanks

Monica

Dont worry too much the baby will find its way. I had the same thing on Sunday, my lil Filly was about 3 hours old and was sucking everywhere but where I wanted her too. I did the same as you and gave her some colostrum via syringe. And hour later voila! She found it!!!! Good luck with the foal and Congrats! :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

New2Minis is very correct.........and she said it like an old pro! (I bet she has more horse experience than she admits to!)

Yes, the first three and up to six hours are the most stressful. First, you don't think they will EVER find the "faucets"! Syringing is good, btw. It gives them some energy to keep looking and they also know what to smell and taste for that way......We also smear the colostrum over the mare's teats to help them.

If you baby goes another hour or hour and a half without finding the teat, give her another feeding. Trust me, 99% of the time, the baby WILL locate her food source!

The other thing we deal with is the passing of the meconium, but an enema usually takes care of that.

Let us know how thing go!

MA

Latest posts

Back